PDA

View Full Version : How hot?

Jes
17-10-2006, 07:54 AM
I know that this has been covered in other threads somewhere but I can't find them.

How hot does your 620ie run? I had several months of the temp guage sensor falling off and since it has been fixed I've been watching the temperature shoot up to 250° very quickly. Is this normal? It's been close to 300° in town on hot days.

I also get a weird moaning noise at about 5000 down to 4000 rpm when I close off the throttle. Maybe a vibration or timing belt noise, but it is only 1000 miles since its last service. I think it's a recent development, but I don't get out of town often enough to be sure.

Am I just paranoid?

Jes

CK & AK
17-10-2006, 08:07 AM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=12449&highlight=high+temp

Hope this might be of help?

Our race bikes regularly run at about 155 - 165 (and thats with oil coolers added to both the 583 & 620) at the end of a race

C :)

sadbiker
17-10-2006, 05:54 PM
We used to get 130 on very hot days, fitted oil cooler kit and temp never goes above 120. I sure it was mentioned engine can live up to about 170 with out major issues but I am of the believe the cooler it is the longer it will last.

I would get the bike checked urgently and not ride it any more until done. If it is running at these temperatures and you are hearing noises I may be wrong but you could end up at worst case the egnine seizing. Hopefully a true mechanic will answer shortly

bod
17-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Just a point (and I would like to know also,where is the temperature reading taken from I cant actually see a temp sensor on the bike,there is one below the clocks but that looks like an ambient temp sensor possibly to measure outside temp and adapt fueling)?

Obviousley a water cooled engine takes the engine temp from the coolant,but on an air cooled bike wouldn't different parts of the engine casing run at totaly differnt temperatures,dependent on sensor loction and air cooling effect?

slob
17-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Just a point (and I would like to know also,where is the temperature reading taken from I cant actually see a temp sensor on the bike,there is one below the clocks but that looks like an ambient temp sensor possibly to measure outside temp and adapt fueling)?

Obviousley a water cooled engine takes the engine temp from the coolant,but on an air cooled bike wouldn't different parts of the engine casing run at totaly differnt temperatures,dependent on sensor loction and air cooling effect?

Inlet rocker cover, front cylinder.

CK & AK
17-10-2006, 09:11 PM
the reading is taken from the oil strainer housing bolt (the sensor is screwed into it) at the bottom of the engine on the RH side (of the 'ie' bikes)

scrapps
18-10-2006, 07:55 AM
My 620 runs at 110/120 even when riden hard not got extra cooler, only got to 140/150 on trackday.. hope this helps

Rockhopper
18-10-2006, 09:35 AM
All engines whether oil, air or water cooled will be designed to run at an optimum temperature usually chosen with respect to the safety of the engine oil. If the oil fails through getting too hot then the engine will destroy itself. If the oil doesn't get hot enough then it won't be able to evaporate the moisture which collects in it and then engine will corrode from the inside out (which also why you shouldn't run the engine for a few minutes once a week over the winter).
Generally speaking, more damage is done to engines by running them too cool than too hot especially during the winter.

Will
18-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I know that this has been covered in other threads somewhere but I can't find them.

How hot does your 620ie run? I had several months of the temp guage sensor falling off and since it has been fixed I've been watching the temperature shoot up to 250° very quickly. Is this normal? It's been close to 300° in town on hot days.

I also get a weird moaning noise at about 5000 down to 4000 rpm when I close off the throttle. Maybe a vibration or timing belt noise, but it is only 1000 miles since its last service. I think it's a recent development, but I don't get out of town often enough to be sure.

Am I just paranoid?

Jes

I assume that you mean Farenheit? My 620i.e. never went beyond about 118°C even on a hot summers day. If you really mean 300°C then you bike is about to explode! At the very least your engine will be knackered 'cos the oil won't be very oily any longer at that temperature!

kaysee
18-10-2006, 02:57 PM
250F = 121C
300F = 148C

those seem like fairly normal running temps, especially if you are in heavy town traffic.

Will
18-10-2006, 09:29 PM
250F = 121C
300F = 148C

those seem like fairly normal running temps, especially if you are in heavy town traffic.

148C a bit on the high side for normal riding on a 620i.e, but if stuck in traffic or really being hammered on a hot day then possible. Probably normal on an old 1150GS though :running:

slob
18-10-2006, 09:35 PM
the reading is taken from the oil strainer housing bolt (the sensor is screwed into it) at the bottom of the engine on the RH side (of the 'ie' bikes)
What's the sensor on the rocker cover Doc?

Will
18-10-2006, 09:36 PM

I'm told that it is also a temperature sensor.

CK & AK
18-10-2006, 09:52 PM

That dear Slob is:

part number 552.4.013.1A Sensor

which I believe is the temp sensor for the computer settings.............

........my old chum ;)

Jes
18-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Thank you everyone.

I've always assumed that the temperature is in farenheit; as long as it is I'll calm down. Does anyone know what the standard setting is for a UK bike?

I think the nasty noise is the chain on the top of the swing arm. There's certainly enough slack for it to hit when I close off the throttle. I'll fiddle at the weekend, screw it up and then take to a proper mechanic next week.

Jes

Sparky
18-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Sensor on the rocker cover is used by the ECU to adjust fueling based on engine temperature. Sensor on lower right hand engine casing is used for the display on the clocks.

kaysee
19-10-2006, 07:04 AM
148C a bit on the high side for normal riding on a 620i.e, but if stuck in traffic or really being hammered on a hot day then possible. Probably normal on an old 1150GS though :running:

Cheeky bugga, how is the new fangled 1200 ?

Will
19-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Cheeky bugga, how is the new fangled 1200 ?

It's a great - commute on it, go shopping on it, play at the weekends on it, it shrugs off pillions - it took me effortlessly to the South of France and back this summer - can't think of a better bike. I can't imagine replacing it with anything other than another new one when it's worn out, although after almost 15,000 miles in about 19 months, it feels just as it did when it was new. I haven't ridden an 1150 but I guess it is just as capable - just a bit harder to pick up if you drop it!

emily's driver
19-10-2006, 09:27 PM

Am I just paranoid?

Jes

Don't know how hot Nonnie's 620ie runs, she is better placed to tell you that than I am, as it's her bike, BUT as far as moaning goes, both hers and my bike all seem to perform the "Ducati Weep". Sit in your garage after a long ride out and you will hear atmospheric pressure equalising betwixt the ambient and internal fuel tank pressure. It manifests itself as a sort of audible whimper from the breather pipe. If your bike could cry and all that....

slob
20-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Mine sometimes make a 'thrumming' noise on a partial throttle, I think it's the open airbox.

kaysee
20-10-2006, 07:06 AM
It's a great - commute on it, go shopping on it, play at the weekends on it, it shrugs off pillions - it took me effortlessly to the South of France and back this summer - can't think of a better bike. I can't imagine replacing it with anything other than another new one when it's worn out, although after almost 15,000 miles in about 19 months, it feels just as it did when it was new. I haven't ridden an 1150 but I guess it is just as capable - just a bit harder to pick up if you drop it!

try :weights not :ymca

Will
20-10-2006, 12:31 PM
try :weights not :ymca

I don't do weights, neither am I, or have ever been a Christian - it's all to weird for me.

Regardless of exercise regimes or religion persuasion the 1150GS is still a heavy f****r pick up, as a mate found out after about the 5th time he droppped his 1150GSA in the Alps (and he does do weights - ex army and all that).

Get a new 12GS you know it makes sense.:fou: :)

kaysee
20-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Will, it is all down to technique.

Darry
20-10-2006, 03:41 PM
That dear Slob is:

part number 552.4.013.1A Sensor

which I believe is the temp sensor for the computer settings.............

........my old chum ;)

This is correct from my experience... the one on the bottom right is purely for the clocks (a little spade connector) you can remove this (mine fell off) and it won't effect the running of the bike. You just won't see a temp reading on the clocks... just 3 little lines.

Darry.

Will
20-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Will, it is all down to technique.

Yeah I know :-)