PDA

View Full Version : Taking Clocks apart, Piece of P1ss!

Darry
10-10-2006, 09:05 PM
So, Ducati dealers tells us the whole unit has to be replaced when the lenses crack because they're a sealed unit, unservicable... Well that's a load of B*llocks! All we need is a replacement front plate with moulded lenses!!!

Natty, can you get the front plates? Perhaps if we order Bulk, Magneti Marelli?

1. Broken Clocks
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/darry72/Ducati%20Clocks/IMG_0939.jpg

2. Rear Clocks
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/darry72/Ducati%20Clocks/IMG_0942.jpg

3. Undo Rear screw to remove front bezel
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/darry72/Ducati%20Clocks/IMG_0943.jpg

4. Front bezel removed
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/darry72/Ducati%20Clocks/IMG_0944.jpg

5. Remove Centre screw to remove rear of clocks
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/darry72/Ducati%20Clocks/IMG_0946.jpg

6. Rear removed - front view
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/darry72/Ducati%20Clocks/IMG_0951.jpg

7. Rear removed - rear view
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/darry72/Ducati%20Clocks/IMG_0953.jpg

8. Two clips (one either side of clocks) holds the front lenses and surround on; push them to remove
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/darry72/Ducati%20Clocks/IMG_0956.jpg

9.Unfortunately, lenses are moulded into lenses frame, probably explains why they crack, different plastics expanding at different rates!? So whole frame needs replacing, why don't Ducati sell this part!? Natty?
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/darry72/Ducati%20Clocks/IMG_0960.jpg

10. All bits separated, including electrics and needles
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/darry72/Ducati%20Clocks/IMG_0963.jpg

So, can anyone speak Italian, and write a letter to Magneti Marelli? Lots of us need these and its so simple to replace!

Thanks goto Richie(soon2B) for his broken clocks!

Darry.

Ps, If anyone has old clocks with unbroken lenses, can I have them!??

Albie
10-10-2006, 09:14 PM
The early clocks never came apart like that. It is a pain. They are cheap and nasty yes. Whilst your at it you may want to change the dial faces for the white or red ones for sale on ebay. Look up under ducati 748/916.

Darry
10-10-2006, 09:21 PM
The early clocks never came apart like that. It is a pain. They are cheap and nasty yes. Whilst your at it you may want to change the dial faces for the white or red ones for sale on ebay. Look up under ducati 748/916.

I haven't taken mine apart yet... these were Richie's. Katana already has dibs on these dial faces as she (or he?) has KPH.

slob
10-10-2006, 10:06 PM
So, can anyone speak Italian
Have a word with Emily's Driver, he's fluent.

sadbiker
11-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Have sent a email to Magneti Marelli to see if their english is better than mine. See if I get a reply.

Bodybag
11-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Darry,

Excellent thread but what made you do this? And has Richie finally trashed his bike so badly that he's pulling it to bits? :mand:

Darry
11-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Darry,

Excellent thread but what made you do this? And has Richie finally trashed his bike so badly that he's pulling it to bits? :mand:

a) To see if it could be done
b) To try and salvage 1 of the lenses to replace my cracked one

Richie had to have his clocks changed after that Pizza incident remember?! :rolleyes:

D.

Darry
11-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Have sent a email to Magneti Marelli to see if their english is better than mine. See if I get a reply.

I wrote to them in English ages ago and got no reply, but that was an enquiry about the entire clock.

I really think that Ducati should be sourcing these for us, as they essentially sold us defective units.

Darry.

STEVE B
27-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Hello,
Did you get a reply from Marelli regarding the cracks as i've just joined the club.

geecy1
27-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Send them this,i knew it would come in handy....Hi, potete lo lasciate sapere se vendete lo speedo ed i giri ricambiano gli orologi di Marelli di forMagneti della struttura dell'obiettivo e di vetro sul Monster di Ducati.

banditloon
27-04-2007, 08:09 PM

I'm sure I know someone who could sort out the Italian translation and drop Ducati or Magneti Marelli an email ;)

Bodybag
27-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Isn't Nonie's better half an Italian speaker?

OI NONNIE!!! Whats the score? :D

banditloon
27-04-2007, 08:33 PM
potrebbe dirmi se e' possibile comprare solo un vetro di ricambio con la struttura in gomma per il tachimetro?

succede spesso con i tachimetri del nuovo monster che si rompa il vetro

:thumbsup: May work ;)

banditloon
27-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Roughly translates as

Do you sell the facia mount to the speedo seperately for the newer models of Ducati Monsters

Chris & Nean
27-04-2007, 09:05 PM
These cost 1000 quid apiece dont they?, I’m not surprised Magneti Marelli don’t reply to emails about fixing them, its worth a try though I guess,!!.

Headhunter
28-04-2007, 08:15 AM
These cost 1000 quid apiece dont they?, I’m not surprised Magneti Marelli don’t reply to emails about fixing them, its worth a try though I guess,!!.

Christ, I hope not. Mine cracked the other week.

Darry, great post and really helpful - Hopefully there will be a way to get them replaced!

pooh
28-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Darry
is the circuit board any good on the clocks you stripped as the on on my wifes 620 has given up the ghost and the indicators have stopped working and could do with replacing it as casing etc is OK.

Ian

dlloyduk
05-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Ah cracked clock glasses! I now have a matching pair. Did anyone manage to obtain replacements?

Nickj
05-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm also chasing marelli, I want one or two of the little servo motors on the back of the boards that drive the needles. Mines buggered and I don't think that around 300 hours run time constitutes durability for what should be a machine life cycle durable part, unless Ducati think that constitutes a monsters working lifetime.

Nickj
05-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Pooh I might be wrong but I think part of the clock board is associated with the key system so it's tied to the specific ingnition pack, meaning swapping the board won't easily work. Possibly would need the big IC swapped over??

crust
06-09-2007, 05:25 PM
I think you'd have more luck emailing Tim Macabee at Ducati UK asking him if it would be possible to arrange.

A polite well written email pointing to this thread might help.

I would be amazed if Marelli even replied, let alone supplied anything.

There will almost certainly be agreements between Ducati and Marelli regarding intellectual property and exclusivity.

If one of my external suppliers went direct to a customer I would not be impressed

:) Crust

Nickj
06-09-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't see Duc UK selling just the shell part or components (sides they aren't going to have the component level bits I want) for a pittance when they can sell the whole deal at a relatively massive price.
I might be wrong but does anyone really think that is likely ????????????

crust
06-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I've pointed a few people in the direction of a polite reasonable request to DUK and most of them have got a satisfactory result.

I know of a guy who got a ten year old frame replaced under warranty.

Strangely enough, Tim Macabee is a nice bloke who is interested in keeping his customers happy.

Not saying you'll definitely get a result but if its pointed out to him that there is a genuine problem I'm sure he'll ask the question and do his best.

Have met him and his staff at a few events and they always come across well.

Ask, what have you got to lose?

:)Crust

Nickj
06-09-2007, 08:30 PM
got a mail addy or physical address ??

crust
06-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Tim Maccabee
Avebury House 201-249
Avebury Boulevard
Milton Keynes
Tel.: +44 845 1 222996
Fax: +44 845 1 222748
E-mail: info@ducatiuk.com

or

http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatiuk/en/contact_us.jhtml

:) Crust

Nickj
07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Right I've done that Crust, thanks for the info :). I've asked about sub component replacements on my part (this is for the servo motors that drive the clock indicators) which, if I can get some, could well be a fix for a lot of tacho and or speedo failures that have cropped up.
I also mentioned casing parts that tie into this strand and the others posted over time here and on other sites.
The casings are one thing and about damage repair post accident or other calamity, if these become available it will be very much a case of good will from Ducati.
The actual continued function of the clocks over service life is something else and more about component construction, design and durability which as they say is a whole different beast.

BTW The current cost of a replacement unit was quoted to me today as £188 ex VAT which isn't unreasonable unless that is you happen to be needing just a little bit of it :eek: !

slob
07-09-2007, 02:10 PM
BTW The current cost of a replacement unit was quoted to me today as £188 ex VAT which isn't unreasonable unless that is you happen to be needing just a little bit of it :eek: !

Where was that from Nick? I was quoted £375 a couple of weeks ago, suddenly just over half that seems quite reasonable. (PS I only need the Bezel/Lenses)

Nickj
07-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Just called Duc Manchester Slob, mind you I'd had the afternoon off due to relatively nice weather coupled with loosing my will to work and just got in from one of my frenzied charges round the edge of wales and the more interesting bits of forest road so my ears were a bit zingy.
I might have missed heard

AndyG
30-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Any one made progress about cracked lens, appears I also have joined the club, why do the lens crack?, never had this problem before on any bike.

Is a cracked lens a MOT failure, mines only slightly cracked at present.
Thanks all

jerry
30-10-2007, 03:11 PM
What about older model speedos and tachs how do we change the glass on those ??????,

ladybird
07-12-2007, 11:42 AM
my screws have joggled out and are rattling around the lhs clock (rev counter)

sadbiker
07-12-2007, 02:01 PM

Nope they don't answer..........

I think it would be better talking with Ducati UK and seeing if we could get the onces of all the failed units that get returned under warranty.

moor-ph0
07-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Nope they don't answer..........

I think it would be better talking with Ducati UK and seeing if we could get the onces of all the failed units that get returned under warranty.

Hi,
I agree this may be worthwile also however another approach.
There was guy on the up north forum that had a problem with his 749 clocks. The LCD was partially knackered. He took it apart and managed to obtain a faulty clock FOC from I think Ducati Leeds. Fortunately the LCD part was fine and I now believe he has working clock. It may be worth approaching some dealer to see if they have any faulty units replaced under warranty or just plain faulty and replaced but not yet disposed of. It's worth a try.

Geoff

damo
04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Reading this thread as I've also got a cracked lens on my '04 620, was wondering if anybody got a front panel replacement in the end?

griffs
07-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Can this be made a sticky??

pegboy
07-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I replaced the lens on my s2r, I was lucky, Rosso Corse happen to have just the lens, and that came off a unit that was no longer working so definately worth ringing around.

Marcustheanimal
22-05-2017, 11:52 AM
I know this is an old post, but how did you get the needles off, I am petrified of breaking something?????

slob
22-05-2017, 09:29 PM
I've never dared to pull the needles off, like you it feels like something will break.
From looking at Ducati speedo repair videos on YouTube it sounds as though they're glued onto the posts.

utopia
22-05-2017, 11:51 PM
I have no idea whether these are thus but many circular gauges in my experience have had their needles fitted via a tapered bore/spindle.
Food for thought perhaps, but I'm not too sure how you'd use that info.
I have visions of a carefully considered sharp tap with a hammer either doing the business or wrecking the unit.
And tbh, these days its probably more cost effective to glue them.

Dirty
23-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Could try a little gentle heat via a hair dryer along with a bit of careful tugging.:mand:

utopia
23-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Righto, I've consulted the UKMOC elves and I now have it on good authority that the needles are a press fit on the spindle.
Not a taper, just an interference fit on a plain shaft, apparently. (I suspect a split bush like a "roll-pin" but its just a guess).
There is a small cover (presumably at the axis) which can be prised off to reveal the gubbins.
I may be able to post some pics if necessary.

Removing the needle will potentially create calibration issues if you don't make sure its in exactly the same position when you replace it, so it will be necessary to mark it somehow.
I have no idea how they are calibrated at the factory .. maybe there is some adjustment available for the position of the stepper motor. I dunno .. my elves didn't look that far.
But be aware that the needle is under some small pressure against the zero stop .. which is where the crux of the calibration issue lies.

Marcustheanimal
14-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Hey all,has anybody considered 3D moulding or plastic moulding for getting these made?