PDA

View Full Version : Final DD report, Cadwell Park

Zimbo
10-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Last round of the year.
Van packed with bike (Monica) plus tools, spares, fuel, clothing etc, up to Phoenix's friday night to collect caravan, and on to Cadwell. I've booked in for both days racing, Sat and Sun, though Sat is non points scoring, just a bit of fun / practice!
Sat morning, we're out for timed practice 9.30 am and it's damp. I fell off at Cadwell in the wet earlier in the year, and resolve to be slow but safe - don't want to fall off and damage myself or the bike before proper race day, do I??? I tiptoe round, trying to stay on the very narrow dry-ish line through Barn and avoiding the spilt oil at the Hairpin, and sure enough qualify dead last with a very slow 2.13.50. Sigh.

By mid day it's dry and we collect for race 1, having added a splash of fuel and adjusted tyre pressures to 30 / 30. line up on the start and we get away clean, I'm still last but settle in and after a couple of laps pick up the pace. I pass David Pratt on his 620 early, he tries to come back on the start finish straight the next couple of laps but I hold him off into Coppice and eventually he falls away and disappears. I can see Grib (Lucie) ahead getting to grips with her new 620 ride and with Phil Harris (620) Doug and Bones on their 583s all lined up behind her. I close up fairly quickly and pass Bones, then settle in to watch Doug trying to pass Phil H, who is trying to pass Lucie. Eventually I mug Doug and Phil gets Lucie, I manage to pass Lucie as well , and then in a do - or - die move I drive hard through Hall bends and get inside Phil at the hairpin, get out in front and concentrate on a fast exit to barn onto the start finish straight. His superior power carries him past me again before Coppice but the last lap flag is out, i follow him round and repeat the move at the hairpin, get out in front again, through Barn and hope he can't catch me before the flag. He doesn't, passes me after the flag is waved but I got him and the results show him just a third of a second behind. An exciting and very close race, Senna 3 has gone down out of Mansfield, too much power too early and lost the back end, he's unhurt though and the bike is easily fixed, no other fallers, I finish 13th from a 19th start, 4th 583 out of 8. I am seriously pleased with a fastest lap of 1.55.99, my best ever :) The actual race has lasted 16 minutes all at maximum effort and my legs are shaking when I get off, but I'm really chuffed and don't care about the tiredness. this is what it's all about and I'm on a massive high!

Race 2, this time I don't do quite so well, starting from the back again but the others are all faster second time out, especially Bones and Lucie, both have picked their corner speeds up! I have one moment, am distracted into Park corner by a faller, trying to see who it is and nearly run myself off the track as a result. Race pace has really picked up over the whole series over the year, and our corner speeds are way higher than when we started off, so just a moment's loss of concentration can be catastrophic! Anyway, I grit my teeth and drive harder and lean harder, and somehow get round without leaving the tarmac! I manage to get David and Bones but Lucie is too fast and finishes a second ahead, Doug has had a good race and finishes 4 seconds and 4 places ahead. Oh well, on to tomorrow, at least I'm home safe!

Zimbo
10-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Sunday, refueled and tyre pressures done, out for qualifying and it's dry. I make a tactical decision to wait twenty seconds after everyone has left to give me a clear track to qualify, it doesn't pay off though, I obviously need to chase someone to put decent lap times in! Qualify 36th out of 41 with a 2.02, 18th 583. Ho hum, must try harder.

Race 1 is just carnage. I'm blocked at the start by Butch on his 620, then he accelerates away and I'm left struggling. First time round and Butch is taken out at the chicane by Phil H and goes down, we press on. Next lap there's two red bikes down in different places, lots of waved yellows, again we press on. Fallers don't even distract me anymore, when you think about it a mate falling off just in front of you at 60 or 80 mph should worry you but I don't even think about it, just register the event and chalk another position up in my head. Doug pulls in on lap 5 with handling problems, I don't see that as I've long since passed him, apparently he was getting serious rear tyre slides and came in as it was unsafe! On lap 7 Dave Ainscough piles off on the exit of Charlies 2 and disappears ina cloud of mud and grass, then on the last lap tonio goes down just in front of me in Chris Curve, that's fouth gear flat out through there so seriously quick and banked right over, lots of sparks and bits of fibreglass, another place up the points board for me though! In a repeat of Saturday I mug Phil H at the hairpin again on the last lap, this time i finish just 0.04 seconds ahead of him and his 620 powers past on the start finish straight just after the flag, my place though! Finish 26th, 11th 583, best lap 1.55.65, another personal best.

Race 2, again blocked by Butch off the start, manage to go round him this time but his extra power shows and he accelerates faster and gets into coppice ahead. I follow and mug him into the chicane, it's where he was taken out in race 1 and I decide he won't fight for the place just there, tactics eh? :) it works and I get the position and settle in to try Michael Winter on his 620. I get him at the hairpin in my favourite block pass manouver but he powers past on the straight (pesky 620s!) and I can't quite reel him in for the rest of the race. He's trying hard though and makes up a few places and I follow close behind, get inside Doug down the Gooseneck but he's not giving up that easy and we go round Mansfield side by side, he gets the inside line to the chicane and I have to yield, quietly impressed at his bravery in holding me off. I get him back at the hairpin though, then do phil H again into Park on the last lap, and finally get inside Kev Mooney on the hairpin (again) to make up one last place before the flag. Finish 13th 583 and 26th overall. Bones has escaped this time, had a good race and finished 10th, five whole seconds ahead of me.

And that's that. Season over. Prize giving, pack up, say goodbyes to all fellow racers, I've got quite attached to a few of them and it's a sad goodbye, March seems a long way off. But I'll be back, and next year I'm gonna kick some arse! (hopefully!!!:) )

Zimbo
10-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Last, couple of pictures.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/zimbo16/SnettCadders010.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/zimbo16/SnettCadders004.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/zimbo16/Snett-06-120.jpg

CK & AK
10-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Zimbo - just a wee correction mate:on:

For the Sunday races, Bones #39 was

First race:10th in class & 24th overall (you were 12th in class)
2nd Race: 11th in class & 22nd overall (you were 14th in class)

sorry to disappoint you:(

but it was a good weekend tho - and a great write up:D

Zimbo
10-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Zimbo - just a wee correction mate:on:

For the Sunday races, Bones #39 was

First race:10th in class & 24th overall (you were 12th in class)
2nd Race: 11th in class & 22nd overall (you were 14th in class)

Actually I think you're half right :)

Lucie was registered on the results sheet as riding in class B but was of course on a 620, so by my count that makes me 11th and Bones 9th in race 1 after you take her out of the class B results.

She didn't race in race 2 and I still deducted her from the results, so as far as race 2 results go you're right, I was 14th not 13th.

Don't tell Bones he got a 9th rather than a 10th though, he'll be unbearable :)

CK & AK
11-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Don't tell Bones he got a 9th rather than a 10th though, he'll be unbearable :)
He already knows! :D

Gilps
11-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Good right up Graeme. You seem to embody the real spirit of DD. Just don't start whining about missing trophies. You've got me hooked. I'll hopefully see you on the grid next year. And I'll do you a deal. You don't protest my bike and I won't protest yours. And thanks for dragging me along earlier in the season too.

Zimbo
11-10-2006, 10:09 PM
He already knows! :D

Ah well, he'll be pleased about that then, and well deserved. He's shown tremendous improvement through the season, I'm having to work hard to pass him these days, when I passed him in the race it was the one and only chance I had, had to charge hard through Charlies to stay close enough to slipstream him down park straight cos I just couldn't close up through Hall bends enough to get under him at the hairpin, he's very fast through there!
I look forward to some good battles next year . . . . . A good consistant season from him this year with no DNFs too, he's done you proud I reckon.

Zimbo
11-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Good right up Graeme. You seem to embody the real spirit of DD. Just don't start whining about missing trophies. You've got me hooked. I'll hopefully see you on the grid next year. And I'll do you a deal. You don't protest my bike and I won't protest yours. And thanks for dragging me along earlier in the season too.

deal, and no problem, look forward to seeing you out there!

Tonio600
12-10-2006, 08:25 AM
roll on 2007 mate :)
good write up.

sadbiker
12-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Zimbo, good racing, and cheers for putting in the write ups. Its really interesting reading it first hand from a rider, seeing what you have to go through.