PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Fouling

BREEKO
09-10-2006, 05:57 PM
hi, i have noticed that one of the spark plug is little oily and black in clour. that's the plug in the cylinder under the seat. the other plug in the other cylinder is in great condition. any ideas? also what should be the idle speed on S4 and how do you adjust it. lastly i have only aquired this bike last week. its all standard but the ECU is the Ducati Performance one, as it say so on the unit. could that ve the problem. please help.....

stef
09-10-2006, 06:57 PM
valve clearance ?
was it done recently ?

BREEKO
09-10-2006, 07:08 PM
my S4 has done 9500 miles. according to DUCATI AYLESBURY where i purchased my bike from, the bike had valve checked at 8000 miles. now if this is true or not i don't know. when i collected my bike last week thay said that all belts were changed and the bike was fully serviced. now that's not true because thay did not changed the plugs or the air filter as i have checked. also i was told that the ECU is standard but its not.

rich
09-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi ,you don't say how it runs good or bad?

if bad

i would take it back
show them the non std ecu plugs ect

and get them to sort it all out to your satisfaction

HTH
rich

Rockhopper
09-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Has it got standard cans on it? Perhaps a previous owner swapped cans and ECU then someone put the stock cans back on but didn't change the ECU. Those motors don't normall foul their plugs so something is wrong. Post a pic of the plug?

stef
09-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Has it got standard cans on it? Perhaps a previous owner swapped cans and ECU then someone put the stock cans back on but didn't change the ECU. Those motors don't normall foul their plugs so something is wrong. Post a pic of the plug?
i thought of that, but he would foul both plugs...

Rockhopper
09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Yep, good point.

However i've just had a thought. The Ducati ECU's map both cylinders the same and because the back pot is shrouded by the front pot then it tends to run hotter and should ideally have a different mixture setting to the front pot. Maybe the DP ECU is making this worse? He needs to get it on a CO analyser to find out.

BREEKO
10-10-2006, 05:26 AM
i would say that my bike runs ok. but thanks for all the advice, iwould take it back to the dealer and ask them to sort it out. but you know what main dealers are like. i am afriad if i take my bike back to them it will come back with some other problem. but anyway thanks to everyone for advice. cheers.....