PDA

View Full Version : Agony of owning an S4

Sad old git
04-10-2006, 06:29 PM
I was recently given a 4 year old S4 which is fantastic except that it is the most uncomfortable motorbike I have ever ridden. I have just returned from a 100 mile round trip, my wrists, bum and thumbs all ache and I could hardly have ridden another mile. Any suggestions?

sadbiker
04-10-2006, 06:33 PM
What did you ride before ?

I do tend to find on long journeys they can become painful, but find the riding tends to make me forget any issues.

My last real trip round France and Germany I did find after 400 miles I hurt quite a lot, but the German Bier made me forget all my aches and pains.

Shandy
04-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the club :yoparty:

Given a S4 eh, not bad :eyepopping:

I had the same sort of arse problem have a look at this thread, it solved it for me,

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=18003&highlight=corbin

Wrists and thumbs etc is probably more about posture and riding position, griping the tank more with your legs and not holding on so tight sorted that one out for me.

Cheers,

Shandy

Sad old git
04-10-2006, 06:36 PM
An 850 Commando - 30 years ago - not as fast but much more comfortable

sadbiker
04-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Yes but 30 years ago things were different. Your body was younger and fitter, could take knocks a lot easier etc.

If you are like me, you will have noticed it tends to hurt more the older you get when you fall off. I don't bounce as well as I used to.

Scotty
04-10-2006, 06:50 PM
relax more, uh and if you keep the speed down a bit the windblast is easyer to cope with ;)

Albie
04-10-2006, 09:41 PM
100 miles is down to the shops and back. You must relax more or get a bit fitter. I do get aches though but my right wrist are dodgy from rooftiling. I also have a good hard corbin seat. Some dont like them and go for the gel type tourer about £130.

gjfevans
05-10-2006, 06:59 PM
It gets easier the more you ride it. When I have not been out on mine for a while I can hardly use the clutch after about 100 miles but I wouldnt change it for the world:thumbsup:

Bodybag
05-10-2006, 10:35 PM
6'4" and 200 miles a day on mine. gjfevans says it right. The more you ride it the better it gets. You're gonna love the ride once your body gets used to the position.

If you've not ridden for a while I'd recommend not riding it in town traffic for a while. Get used to it on twisty roads and open A and B roads. The clutch is really heavy and they don't like low speed town type riding. Its a bit of an artform to look cool on one in town. I haven't sussed that yet, but watch sportsbike riders trying to chase you when you're caning them on twisty backroads. :mand:

Stafford
06-10-2006, 07:22 AM
The clutch is really heavy
Why does everyone think it's heavy? It's fine for two finger use.
and they don't like low speed town type riding.
This is true, as the clutch clatters in it's basket sounding like Fred Astaire on speed!
Cheers
Q

squiffything
06-10-2006, 07:56 AM
I was recently given a 4 year old S4 which is fantastic except that it is the most uncomfortable motorbike I have ever ridden. I have just returned from a 100 mile round trip, my wrists, bum and thumbs all ache and I could hardly have ridden another mile. Any suggestions?

I have decided that as the seat on my 620 is just so bad after around an hour of riding I am going to try and make my own gel seat with leather covering. The materials and tools I need are starting to arrive and depending on how it goes I may start a thread to let you know the ease in which it all comes together (ahem)

Because it will be all my own fair handywork I should be able to set the seating angles as to how i want them and the height coz i'm only a little bloke but we will see.

Now where did Mum put that old Singer ...

Nonnie
06-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Now where did Mum put that old Singer ...
How dare you talk about Benson like that.

Melnie Mouse
06-10-2006, 08:38 AM
I think corbin seats are too hard, and prefer original, but i did a ride to cheddar which is nearly 200 and that i ached big time, i find the s4 more comfy than the smaller monsters, but most of it is about relaxing, certainly not being tense, but my knees ache a while so i dangle them which helps, wrong i know, but these foot pegs are so high on these modern bikes! ha ha :D

sadbiker
06-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Just for your info the seat on my S2R1000 seem softer than the seat on my wifes 02 620....

Melnie Mouse
06-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Just for your info the seat on my S2R1000 seem softer than the seat on my wifes 02 620....

funny i found that aswell. and the new S4r seems nice seat, but on the 620 i have and ride usually, it came with corbin seat and i just cannot see what people like about it. even pedro got one on ebay cos he wanted one until he tried it, then he said he put it back on ebay haha. I guess it depends what type of bum you have. i mean being female you'd think i'd have enough padding on me bum wouldn't you? it's not exactly small!

Shandy
06-10-2006, 01:45 PM
funny i found that aswell. and the new S4r seems nice seat, but on the 620 i have and ride usually, it came with corbin seat and i just cannot see what people like about it. even pedro got one on ebay cos he wanted one until he tried it, then he said he put it back on ebay haha. I guess it depends what type of bum you have. i mean being female you'd think i'd have enough padding on me bum wouldn't you? it's not exactly small!

I think that sums it up, the newer the model the better the seat.

My reason for liking the Corbin seat is that compared to the standard seat of my old 1995 M600 its a whole universe better for comfort, and as I’m 6' 4'' lanky streak of **** the seating position being further back suits me and makes for a better overall riding position. It changed the whole bike for me from being crippled after 50 miles to me not having hardly an ache after 120 miles. For vertically challenged people like Pedro I can see how it would not be so good as you would have to reach further for the handle bars :D

It’s always going to be a personnel choice type of thing of what suits your frame, physical build and preferred riding position, each to their own choice for comfort :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Shandy

Melnie Mouse
06-10-2006, 02:04 PM
I think that sums it up, the newer the model the better the seat.

My reason for liking the Corbin seat is that compared to the standard seat of my old 1995 M600 its a whole universe better for comfort, and as I’m 6' 4'' lanky streak of **** the seating position being further back suits me and makes for a better overall riding position. It changed the whole bike for me from being crippled after 50 miles to me not having hardly an ache after 120 miles. For vertically challenged people like Pedro I can see how it would not be so good as you would have to reach further for the handle bars :D

It’s always going to be a personnel choice type of thing of what suits your frame, physical build and preferred riding position, each to their own choice for comfort :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Shandy

Hmmm yeah ok, that pretty much sums it up!

andy pea
06-10-2006, 04:11 PM

I'd have to say the complete opposite i'm afraid!
After my 900ssie I find the s4 sooooo comfy! Popped down to Switzerland in July doing between 250 and 350 miles a day and whilst I knew i'd done the miles it was nothing a couple of beers couldn't sort out :booze:
I've got a Ducati Gel saddle and a slightly taller screen which definitely help for long distance adventures :spin:

andy

jerry
08-10-2006, 05:37 AM
My M750 is so comfy its perfect,
my S4 is not, i will soon change top yoke and bars to normal monstor type, also 14 tooth sprocket helps around town. Chassis is taller and needs stting up with more tranfer to front end as it gets light at speed.try to relax your grip or you will end up going to the chiropractor like me.

jerry

Mr C
08-10-2006, 07:55 AM
I find mine just perfect... but i am only 5'6