PDA

View Full Version : Shell Advance

JayT
04-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi there, bikes ready for an oil change. Does any1 happen to know a cheap source for Shell Advance Ultra 4?

Any help would be appreciated!

Darry
04-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi there, bikes ready for an oil change. Does any1 happen to know a cheap source for Shell Advance Ultra 4?

You could try this.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=uk-en&FC2=/uk-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/motorcycles/advance/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/uk-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/motorcycles/advance/product_range/advance_orderline_2104.html

Zimbo
04-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Any particular reason you want the Shell? If it's for your 600 then I'd say it's an unnecessary expense for road use, somehing like Rock Oil Guardian semi - synthetic at £17 for four litres would be perfectly adequate.

JayT
04-10-2006, 08:00 PM
OK, i'll give it a try. If it goes bang, i'll be on the phone!! Just kiddin, is Shell Advance a bit much for the wee 600's!?

Paivi
04-10-2006, 09:34 PM
That's what my 695 came with but Alec at Ducati Proteam suggested I try to get my mitts on Rock Oil Synthesis Racing 15/50 (whatever that means...).

http://www.rockoil.co.uk/Road&Race.pdf

Zimbo
04-10-2006, 10:11 PM
OK, i'll give it a try. If it goes bang, i'll be on the phone!! Just kiddin, is Shell Advance a bit much for the wee 600's!?

They'll run quite happily on the fully synthetic oil, but don't need that level of protection for road use. Semi synthetic oil is more than up to the task. I tend to change mine every 3000 miles, as do most people I speak to.

JayT
05-10-2006, 06:01 PM
They'll run quite happily on the fully synthetic oil, but don't need that level of protection for road use. Semi synthetic oil is more than up to the task. I tend to change mine every 3000 miles, as do most people I speak to.

Cheers for the advise. My shell has been in there for about 2800 miles, so I'll be trying the rock out next week.

Thanks again for the advise every1

emily's driver
05-10-2006, 07:40 PM

Echoing the sentiments of others on here, a good quality synthetic oil ought to cope with the rigours of your engine. I have used Silkolene before and never had any problems with my 998. Main thing to be wary of is mixing grades as recommendations vary depending on the ambient temperature in which the bike will operate for the majority of it's lifespan. In the UK that spells either a 20W-40 or a 20W-50 oil (if using multigrade - which covers a greater temperature range, typically 0 to 10 and 10 to 20 degrees centigrade respectively). Aside from that it comes down to reputation and price. Personally I use Shell Ultra in both mine and Nonnie's bike, as it's seems to be a good all rounder and is consistent which for my money is what I need from an oil. It's not cheap compared to other makes but what price peace of mind?

jerry
26-10-2006, 07:30 PM
If you look closely u will see that shell advance is not actually a synthetic oil.
its a grade 3 mineral oil speced as synthetic. synthetics are grade 4.

jerry

lcjohnny
11-11-2006, 07:11 PM
My can of Shell advance ultra clearly say it is fully synthetic. Is "Shell Advance Ultra" different from "Shell Advance"?

Anyway I have read some knowledgeable stuff about oils and the long and short of it is that air cooled engines have worse heat control than watercooled engines and exposed motorcycle engines don't warm up as evenly as engines under bonnets or behind fairings. What I have read indicates that a fully synthetic oil is able to cope with extremes of heat better than other oils and is less likely to be permanently damaged by the sludge of tars and acids that get past the rings. It is also more likely to adhere to surfaces protecting them at start-up. Consequently if i am going to abuse any air cooled engine I will run it on fully synth unless there is a good reason why not.

But each to their own :-)

Jon