PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Satnav

logyk
23-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Anyone fitted a satnav to an S2R/S4R/S4RS ?

If so what model and how did you accomplish said act ?

I am considering a Garmin Quest but want to know that it will fit sensibly.

Anyone with any experiences to share ?

fatbloke
23-09-2006, 01:57 PM
there's loads of fittings for the quest
http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/
just choose what you prefer

Guzzirider
23-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I have a RAM mount for a Quest and it fitted easily to the bars of my S4Rs.

singletrack
23-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I have a RAM mount for my Kawasaki and was thinking of getting a similar one for the Monster, although Garmin do their own mount which should work well.
Do you want to power the unit off the bike too, or just mount it so you can see the directions and not hear it?

McMONSTRO
23-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Fitted mine onto my steering damper with a pushbike mount from expansys, powered from the bike via the optimate connector, same as a tamiya type connector, then to a normal cigar lighter socket via a car charging lead to a Mio A201 (integral aerial) PDA running Tomtom.
Works a treat! Advantage of this is you can use it in the car and you've got all the functions of a PDA as well! As its really slim it also fits in the inside pocket of your leathers, unlike the Tomtom units which are quite bulky.
Audio side is taken care of with a jack plug off the PDA to a socket mounted on the frame, then to a "walkman" style earpiece to a tube that goes to a custom earplug in my left ear, so I can hear directions and speed cmera warnings!
All worked faultlessly so far!
Only problem is the PDA isn't waterproof so when it rains I have to put it in the tank bag map pocket!

Any questions just ask!

McMonstro

bigredduke
23-09-2006, 10:08 PM
My satnav was a cheapo job from aldi which I can also use in the car. I fitted a ciggi lighter wotsit to power it and got an earpiece from Maplins. Not waterproof though!

STU65
08-10-2006, 06:17 PM
It sounds as though you have achieved what I cannot. I have a Navman PDA with GPS and I've got the mounts for the bike and they all work a treat.

I was hoping to take a direct connection from the Optimate connector to a normal cigar lighter socket and then just to simply connect the unit as in the car direct to the cigar socket. This sounds like the solution MCMONSTRO is using, but for some reason this is not working there does not seem to be any power getting to the cigar socket. I had an inline fuse initially and have tried it with and now without the inline fuse.:grump:

Any advice would be very welcome. Many thanks.

Bodybag
08-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Have you tried reversing the polarity?

STU65
09-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I haven't but I will, thanks for that.

Do you know if an inline fuse is required? My assumption was that it would do no harm.

Bodybag
09-10-2006, 03:20 PM
I'd put a fuse on for safety's sake just to prevent you blowing something up if its wrong.

STU65
09-10-2006, 06:34 PM
The saga continues. I've tried changing the wirers around no joy.

So I thought it was the lead between the optimate connector and the cigar socket so replaced the optimate connector back with the male cigar connector. Tried it on the car and all is working.:hissy:

This now only leaves the optimate connector which does make sense to me all I'm doing is basically connecting to the battery through the optimate lead. Am I missing something?:grump:

Any help would be great. Cheers.