PDA

View Full Version : Gutted Newbie

granite785
21-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi all
Finally registered here as picked up my new 695 yesterday afternoon.
Been waiting for 6 months because of my test and just couldnt wait to start riding my first big bike.
Within 2 hours some idiot had rammed me from behind and I had t opick it up from the floor.
I am ok, some bruises and aches.
The bike has both exhausts bashed, front brake lever broken and number plate bent.
It has only done 29 miles!
I know I am lucky to have gotten away without serious injury but just feel so sick about my bike.:cry:

This is shat I should have done to the car driver :banghead:
Worst of all he works at the same office as me!!

Darry
21-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh no you poor thing.

I presume the guy is admitting responsibility? Make sure you get the bike properly checked out by a mechanic... somethings can get damaged that the untrained eye can't see. Best be safe.

A work colleague has just suggested I offer to take the bike off your hands, as its been crashed damage... say £50? :D (er... joke :look: )

All the best.
Darry.

granite785
21-09-2006, 01:39 PM
The dealer is picking it up this afternoon and I hope he tells me it will be OK.
The left exhaust does sound very different now, it sort of burbles rather than the lovely hum! The joint to the base of the engine has shifted too.
Now I have to count down the days to riding again!!

£50 on yer bike :chuckle:

Darry
21-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Ok £60 and I'll collect. :D

granite785
21-09-2006, 01:45 PM
I'll have to think about that one!! :scratch: Still no, sorry!:mand:
It's red, does that up your offer??

Darry
21-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh red you say... they're the fastest!! ...when not on the back of a recovery truck :chuckle: (sorry couldn't resist).

Seriously, hope its not too serious and you get back on the road soon, and a big welcome to the :ukm:

granite785
21-09-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure how fast it goes, I was still running it in.
the crash was only round the corner from my house so i wheeled it home at about 3mph!!!
Hopefully it could be under a week, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the welcome, I've been reading the forum for the last couple of weeks and everyone seems so friendly and helpful.

STIVH
21-09-2006, 01:57 PM
29 miles .........Get it wrote off and start again, you need a full frame check not a visual look over. I had a similiar bump on an old 860 of mine years ago just a light bump but when it was checked rear shocks where knackered, swing arm altered, wheel out of shape, spokes loose, under the seat pan cracked plus the usual supects smashed and bent.

I was two up with a pillion and stationery at a Pelican crossing I rode it 40 miles home like that ??

I got the bike sorted, but every time she twitched on a bend or at speed my mind started playing tricks............I wonder if...................???? It never felt the same.

granite785
21-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I'd love them to give me a brand new one - couldn't get one much newer!
I am only 15 miles from the dealer but dont want to risk riding it for all the reasons you gave. It would be ironic that I would get hit again on the way to be repaired!

Darry
21-09-2006, 02:03 PM
As its less than 6 months (hours) old your insurance would normally give you a brand new replacement bike if yours gets written off.

Darry.

lcjohnny
21-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Definitely get the dealer to check the frame & engine. Modern exhausts are big stiff strong (heavy) things so bending the exhaust may well have damaged the engine or frame.

Be very thorough about witnesses etc as if it happened on a private car park it can be hard to get their insurance to pay up. Have you witnesses or has the driver admitted fault in front of a witness? Or your company may have CCTV film?

Good luck:thumbsup:

granite785
21-09-2006, 02:12 PM
(Un)fortunately it happened on a public road aptly named as Wallop Drive!!
The driver works at the same company as me and has admitted liability, so hopefully there wont be any problems with the insurance.

emily's driver
21-09-2006, 02:53 PM
The dealer is picking it up this afternoon and I hope he tells me it will be OK.
The left exhaust does sound very different now, it sort of burbles rather than the lovely hum! The joint to the base of the engine has shifted too.
Now I have to count down the days to riding again!!

£50 on yer bike :chuckle:

If the impact was transmitted to the engine through the exhaust (as you have indicated) you most definitely need to have the frame, swingarm and engine mounts checked for damage and alignment, as you have effectively "shock loaded" the bike.

It is quite common to refer to damage in aircraft structures this way. Where repairs are needed, the extent of the damage is not always apparent as the force of an impact (shock waves) travels through the airframe and anything attached to it. Depending on their severity they can either deform or destroy components in their path. Back to the two wheeled scenario though. Whilst the overall structure of a bike may look strong, it is surprisingly easy to deform some of the more major components without there being any visible damage.
Forks, yokes, wheel rims, frame headstocks, mounting points, stressed parts are usually the weakest areas but not exclusively the most vulnerable. There is always a temptation to look for the obvious when assessing such things. Ultimately, given that the bike is so new, I would insist on at the very least a frame alignment check and while they are at it forks, wheels and swingarm as well as all the mounting points and bearings these operate on. If that seems somewhat overkill, then take a look at the front suspension turrets on any car post Ford Sierra era, that has had a relatively low speed impact and count the creases! Not entirely sure Ducati have engineered in a "crumple zone as such" but any material bends/breaks if you hit it (not necessarily hard enough) in the right place.

benson
21-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Welcome granite and hope that it gets sorted soon - I absolutely empathise - same thing happened to mine when it was 6 months old and I was totally gutted - guy hit it in a lit carpark......

hope you're back on two monstrous wheels again soon,

Benson

squiffything
21-09-2006, 03:41 PM
You might end up with a blessing in disguise.

If the bike is a write off then a new bike should be provided. This will leave the old bike with the insurers to whom you can approach with an offer to buy back the wreck. If they are willing to sell and the price is right you may have yourself a second bike with lots of spares to keep yours running for years to come.

While you wait you might have the oppurtunity to have a loan bike which again should be covered by his insurance. You would have to check the policy etc.

Also check yourself out with your doctor you may well have whiplash from the impact which you may not be feeling it at the moment it can take a few days for the pain in your neck to come through. If you have and can get a doctor to confirm this then as well as the claim for the bike you may have a medical claim against the other guys insurance for personal injury and loss of earnings. This might run into hundreds and would perhaps take the edge of the disappointment of not having your bike for a while.

Talk to a good solicitor dealing with claims of this nature to find out where you stand on all of this.

granite785
21-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks to all for your kind words and advice.
I've been aching more and more today and a lovely bruise on my leg has come up and darkening in colour.Been to the doc's this afternoon and he thinks I have got whiplash and the aches might get worse. They should clear up in a week though.
Due to the bike being brand new Ducati have an assist policy and the lady has been most helpful about everything, injuries, loan bike (due Sat), some of my gear has been damaged so that might get replaced, I must have hit my head as my ear hurts!:dizzy:

Squiffy - dont know how my wife would feel about having 2 bikes in the garage! I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Heres to looking up and seeing the finish line :flag:

scrumpster
21-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Welcome and sorry to hear about your misfortune!! Must be a Basingstoke thing, mine played up there last week, but at least I got home in one piece!!

Darry
21-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Squiffy - dont know how my wife would feel about having 2 bikes in the garage!

Yes, most women would be offended by having to stay in the garage! :biggrin:

(no offense, I'm sure she's lovely :o )

squiffything
22-09-2006, 06:27 AM
lol Darry how very dare you!

Granite you should speak to the legal bods. I work for a firm of solicitors (but not in that area) and you may well have a substantial claim. Your doc has confirmed the injuries so you would probably be entitled to compensation. You can call a local guy and ask for a fixed fee interview (usually around £10 - £15 for an hour to discuss the situation get advice on how things would proceed and then decide if it would be worth taking further. The costs would usually be paid by the insurance so you would not be out of pocket.

Good luck. Oh and as for a second bike it would only be a spares inventory. If the price is right and you get it then ebay do a roaring trade on ducati spares which would buy the wife a new Knitting pattern or that replacement pair of rubber gloves she's been after.....

squiffything
22-09-2006, 06:29 AM
) damn this keyboard it always leaves bits out the closing bracket should be placed after "...an hour" Where's my secretary when I need her

doobury
23-09-2006, 08:49 AM
It must be a Basingstoke thing . I got hit leaving B/stoke about 3week ago
Bike should be back on the road next week.:thumbsup:

CrashMonkey
25-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Welcome dude, and sorry to hear about the prang, that really bites :dizzy: