PDA

View Full Version : Spine Protector

scrumpster
21-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I have been got at so many times by so many people to get one, I am wondering, how many of you have them and what types would you recommend? I want one that I can wear with all my jackets as only one of my waterproof jackets has one built in.

stef
21-09-2006, 12:12 PM
got the simple Hein Gericke one.
slips in the pocket of their jacket.
so far, i havent had to test it's efficiency..

Pugi
21-09-2006, 12:20 PM
I never go on the bike without it.
I have the Dainese vest that is rather comfy but a bit on the hot side for summer.

Pedro
21-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Dainese, never leave home without it.

Previously used HG one in a jacket, very effective apparently but I prefer the hard shell on the Dianese one.

Back protectors are an absolute must in my opinion

Ped

singletrack
21-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I have a knox ladies back protector.It fits with straps and a velcro waistband. I think it cost £50-£60. I can't remember exactly.

I tried ones attached to my jacket but they did not feel comfy, and seemed to ride up and hit the back of my helmet. The knox one stays in place and is easily moved from one jacket to another - pop into CMW and get Mel to show them to you - that's where I got mine from:D

scrumpster
21-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Cheers, I'll have a look into all those :D

mad_turnips
22-09-2006, 12:01 PM
well back protectors are a must

i have done my CBT instructor training and the speil goes somthing like this

slip in pads into jacket - they work well but can slip of key areas if the jacket isnt tight enough

prefered ( and its what i have ) is one that straps over shoulders and waist it has 2 benifits it moves with you so is very protective and it helps keep your kindneys in place

there are many differnt makes but i agree Dianesse is very good or knox i think are the best

you can get knox in hein gerike ( thats my sales man bit i work in HG form time to time)

welshman
22-09-2006, 12:28 PM
I wear a Knox , Its a must these daysl cost you £80- £100

i wear this one its very easy to wear , but i would say i get hot wearing it when im off the bike , no great shakes

http://www.speedycom.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=16717&cat=300&page=1

nik_the_brief
22-09-2006, 02:27 PM
I bought one (Pro Life - CE approved) from LIDL when they had a motorcycle bits promotion. Cost me under £20 - it's like a turtle shell with velcro waistband and elastic rucksack type shoulder straps. Comfortable to wear and doesn't cause much aggro underneath my jacket.

I must confess to not always having worn it over the recent summer months but have started to again now it's a bit cooler weatherwise. Also it's okay if you're going somewhere where you can stash your gear when you get there but if you're walking round it can be a cumbersome additional burden to carry around.

emily's driver
22-09-2006, 02:47 PM
I have been got at so many times by so many people to get one, I am wondering, how many of you have them and what types would you recommend? I want one that I can wear with all my jackets as only one of my waterproof jackets has one built in.

Sharon, I used to own a Dainese (Gilet) mesh jacket which was like an elasticated waistcoat with a back protector built in. No not one of those American football type things, but you simply popped it on over a T shirt then put your jacket on over the top. The back protector even extended up to the very base of your neck. A little uncomfortable on a sportsbike due to the prone position but on a Monster I imagine it's fine. Cost me around 100 pounds (then) but well worth it. Knox also comes highly recommended. Only downside with the Dainese was despite the mesh material it was a very snug fit, so on hot days it was a tad warm to say the least, but what price your back. Dainese are now marketing a new neck protector as well I noticed in MCN last week. Soon we will all look like Quarterbacks, but let others mock, as if it saves your bacon in a spill then you will have the laust laugh IMHO. Good luck whatever you decide on.

Crowman
22-09-2006, 08:25 PM
I use a Knox Stowaway, very comfy, hardly notice it on, except when it's really warm. Got it from Knox at the Bike Show, where I could try them all on, cost about 70 quid.

Jeff

slob
22-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Scrumpster,
I've got a Knox 9 plate jobbie and a shorter Dianese one in my road jacket. Both are very comfortable and well made. I got the Knox after testing the Dianese one(sucessfully... at Donington), for trackdays because it covers more of me!
As Singletrack says Knox do one specially designed for women.
Just take all your riding gear along to bike shops, so you can try it all together and don't buy anything until you've tried a few types and are comfortable on your bike wearing it(any good accessory shop should let you take the stuff outside so you can try it with your leathers etc. in your riding position)

Paivi
28-09-2006, 08:31 PM
I wear this Ricochet one for ladies. Very comfortable, I honestly don't even notice I'm wearing it. After my recent low speed crash, the medics at the A&E said it saved my back and coccyx. Unlike some other protectors, it's also multiple impact, so doesn't need replacing after every accident.

http://www.planet-knox.com/detail2.aspx?ID=27

scrumpster
28-09-2006, 09:30 PM
I wear this Ricochet one for ladies. Very comfortable, I honestly don't even notice I'm wearing it. After my recent low speed crash, the medics at the A&E said it saved my back and coccyx. Unlike some other protectors, it's also multiple impact, so doesn't need replacing after every accident.

http://www.planet-knox.com/detail2.aspx?ID=27

That's handy to know, never thought about multiple impacts. Unfortunately mu bike is once again off the road, it's one thing after another and costing me a fortune, so it may be time to get it sorted and sell it for what I can - I definitely seem to have got the Friday afternoon model. Trouble is I love it and am loath to sell it!! :(

Redkite2
29-09-2006, 07:28 PM
I have just been in the UK travelling around Cornwall, Norfolk\Essex\Kent and the NY Moors, did about 2000 Km's on my S2R 1000. Picked up the Forcefield backprotector and shorts on the way in (Hideout, Cambridge) and am very happy with the comfort and finish. Was not cheap, but is good.
Is recommended bij Ride magazine and has the highest protection rating of all backprotectors in the UK. See:
http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.uk/default.asp

The Kevlar Kid
29-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Knox for me - wear it almost always

Spud
30-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I've got the forcefield one as well, did 2500 miles round france this summer in very hot weather and didn't know I had it on. They come in different sizes, so make sure you get the right one. The company normally have a stand at the NEC show, and they fitted me with the correct one - they don't actually sell there, but they sent me accross to the infinity stand.

singletrack
30-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Scrumpter

I am so pleased with the ladies Knox Ricochet I have that I no longer need the Dainese one that I got that fits inside a jacket.

I have only worn it a couple of times, but you are welcome to have it if you decide to go via that route - it's certainly better than nothing.

PM me if you want it.

Anne

NuTTs
05-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi, I use the Forcefield one that got all the great reviews in RiDE magazine.

It´s bloody uncomfortable but supposed to be one of the best.

REgards, NuTTs

Redkite2
06-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Not wearing it inside out are you? ;-)

I don't even notice I've got mine on.

Melnie Mouse
12-02-2007, 08:22 AM
I have a knox ladies back protector.It fits with straps and a velcro waistband. I think it cost £50-£60. I can't remember exactly.

I tried ones attached to my jacket but they did not feel comfy, and seemed to ride up and hit the back of my helmet. The knox one stays in place and is easily moved from one jacket to another - pop into CMW and get Mel to show them to you - that's where I got mine from:D

I wear a ladies Knox one too, the Richochet, which is 69.99 the men's ones are more expensive, ranging from 79-99 quid...

well worth it though, i just keep the one in my fabric jacket there cos it's quite big and ok, and wear my knox with my leathers as it doesn't have one, and the fitted one to you is quite comfy

paulyh
12-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I have the knox ricochet with the velcro waistband and two shoulder straps. Think it cost £65 at the NEC and I always wear it. The last two years I have worn it touring France and Spain and to be honest I don't really notice it's there once you're underway.

PaulyH:thumbsup: