PDA

View Full Version : Monster M900 chain info required

DUKEBRITISHLION
18-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi i'm looking to replace my chain on my Monster M900 2000 year.I beleive its a 520 chain.Could you let me know if this is the correct size and also anybody recommend any make and if possible the best place to buy from i.e price and quality.

Shandy
18-09-2006, 08:53 PM
I had a D.I.D. x-ring type chain put on my M600 a couple of years ago as they came highly rated at the time. I went for the gold colour links so it looks bloody good to boot aswell. I think i may have got from spareshack at the time but i can't be sure of that or how much i paid for it either.

Hopefully someone else will be along with better info soon.

Cheers,

Shandy

Zimbo
18-09-2006, 09:16 PM
The best supplier I know for chains and sprockets is B&C Express

http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/

Tsubaki X-ring gold chain - £52.46

Renthal steel sprockets and tsubaki X-ring gold chain - £89.75

I've used them several times and they've been outstanding, Tsubaki chains I regard as the best available, and renthal sprockets are very good quality. You also get a choice of front and rear sprocket sizes should you want to alter the gearing, and the option of an alloy rear instead of a steel one.

steve wright
19-09-2006, 10:26 AM
520 is right and i agree with Zimbo, B&C are good and reliable. I recommend you get a 14 tooth front sprocket while you're at it, much smoother and better pick-up in all gears.

Zimbo
19-09-2006, 06:43 PM
520 is right and i agree with Zimbo, B&C are good and reliable. I recommend you get a 14 tooth front sprocket while you're at it, much smoother and better pick-up in all gears.

or do what i did and stay on standard 15 front, increase rear to 41. I find this a good compromise between town work and fast road / track riding :)

Mike Croll
23-10-2006, 12:10 AM
not wishing to add to your already confused state of mind (probably)..but I get my chain and oversized sprockets from Brancato Engineering (Tony Brancato is a very knowlegeable chap)..530 chain & sprocket kit (oversized)
G.Box sprock: £28
Rear sprock: £34 (lightweight ally)
DID 'O'ring chain £79
Sprocket box locking plate (soft) £2.95

He's a very helpful chap too...recommend him highly. tel:01865 891 203

Zimbo
23-10-2006, 05:43 AM
not wishing to add to your already confused state of mind (probably)..but I get my chain and oversized sprockets from Brancato Engineering (Tony Brancato is a very knowlegeable chap)..530 chain & sprocket kit (oversized)
DID 'O'ring chain £79

Ouch, that seems very pricy! Front sprockets should be under £20 and lightweight alloy rears around £24, steel rears about £18 - £20. Chains - whilst DID are very good, Tsubaki are better quality and cheaper from B&C at £52. Light sprockets from Talon, anodised pretty gold, are about £15 front and £25 rear.

crust
23-10-2006, 08:20 PM
DID 'O'ring chain £79

Never having been one to miss a chance to supersize things :chuckle:

How long does the 530 last?

OK, I know thats a kind of piece of string question but roughly how many miles do you get?

and what sort of riding style?

Do you get 50% more miles than the standard fitment?

:) Crust

Yorkie
23-10-2006, 09:19 PM
I will never use DID chains, snapped three!!

I now use Tsubaki X-ring gold! Super! I will continue to use these when i fit the 900 engine!

Yorkie.

Shandy
23-10-2006, 09:34 PM
I will never use DID chains, snapped three!!

Hi Yorkie,

I think you may have mentioned this before, just out of interest hoe did the chains snap and which parts failed????

I currently run a DID X ring which has been on a couple of years with no problems, maybe i'm easier on the throtle :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Shandy

Yorkie
23-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Mine all snapped across the centre part of the chain twice and once by one of the link holes!

All only failed on one side!

Result one spat out the back at high speed, one i found on a pre-ride check and the last one came off the rear sprocket and scratched up my powdercoated swingarm!

Yorkie.

Shandy
23-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks mate,

I'll have a proper check of mine later in the week, paranoia will propbably make me change it over winter now anyway :worried: :look: :look: :worried:

Cheers,

Shandy

Mandrake
23-10-2006, 10:24 PM
found on ebay

Chain & Sprocket Kit Ducati 900 Monster O Ring Chain on ebay £79.99 + £8 p+p

seems reasonable....

Zimbo
24-10-2006, 07:31 AM
found on ebay

Chain & Sprocket Kit Ducati 900 Monster O Ring Chain on ebay £79.99 + £8 p+p

seems reasonable....

Not a bad price, but . . .

Tsubaki X-ring gold chain from B&C, £52 chain, £19 renthal rear sprocket and £17 renthal front sprocket , + £3 postage = £91. I know it's £3 more but you are assured of getting the highest quality available. I know which one I'd buy . . .

Tsubaki O-ring chain is a fiver less than the x-ring gold, so would work out cheaper than the ebay deal when comparing like for like and you get top quality.

DUKEBRITISHLION
12-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi many thanks for the help.i ended up going for this package Tsubaki X-ring gold chain from B&C, £53 chain, £24 renthal rear sprocket and £17 renthal front sprocket = £94.I ended up getting 10% discount from my local dealership (got a member family working) and postage free.
So i got the lot next day for £84.90.
Looks fantastic only wish the weather was as good
I'm still after a front cowl screen in red or carbon
Michael

Kiwi
13-11-2006, 06:59 AM
fit a scotoiler while you are at it and the new chain will last forever