PDA

View Full Version : bad news for Me

jerry
18-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I have had a few accidents in the past but none ever put me off bikes permanently. Even a broken back and pelvis in 1990 with2 years in a wheelchair did not.

now my doctor and chiropractor have told me i may have to give up riding and work and swimming .as my right arm keeps getting constant pain and pins and needles ,
cant write , or any mechanical work, even eating is a problem as i lose control of the right hand.The problem is degenerated neck vertibrae and trapped nerves, today i walked 5 miles no problem except the arm.

just riding the duke for 10 minutes is excruciating .

I am getting second opinions and acupuncture
any ideas welcome.I am 48 and diabetic type 2

Jerry

Nonnie
18-09-2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.physioclinic.net/index.html

Hi Jerry. I've been to see the guy in the link I am posting up. I don't know if he can help you. I do know that he will be honest with you and will not rip you off. I know it's a long way for you to go as well but the guy has had some amazing results.

Good Luck.

sidrat
18-09-2006, 07:44 PM
get a trike, this site has a great one!, move the throttle and brake to the floor and enjoy!!, best of luck mate

craigie
18-09-2006, 08:57 PM
I have always felt slightly cheated by chiropractors and subsequently found an osteopath who I see about once a year, as opposed to once a month for the chiropractor. I have recommended her to loads of people who all seem to have had positive results. Her site is backworking.co.uk and she does sports injuries as well. Not too far for you as she is based in London near Kings Cross. Whatever you do best of luck.

CrashMonkey
18-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Trapped nerves should not cause such an ongoing problem, degenerated verteabrae is (obviously) more serious, but perhaps buying a bike with a different riding position would help (or a trike as suggested above). Perhaps you could rig up and backrest (Like some of the pillion backrests on the big cruisers) and a decent wind screen, so as to support your back, and reduce the effect the wind has on your head (Which can put pressure on your neck muscles and bones).

Sorry to hear you're having such problems, best of luck in finding something that works for you and lets you keep riding mate, keep your spirits up and i'm sure you'll find a way.

jerry
19-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all your replies , I have tried different bikes, Triumph S3, bonnie and some harleys and buells, problem is me not the machines, am going to check out physio and all options .

will keep u all informed.....jerry:cry: :toilet: :mand:

STIVH
19-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I use a guy who does remedial massage on a similiar problem I am 46 have done all the hospital tests over 4 years and all at least 7 months apart (f£$%ing useless NHS) playing Rugby from 12yrs of age and not listening when told to rest/injured as a teenager plus formerely working as paint sprayer mainly on HGV wagons means my Right elbow, shoulder and upper back are a major problem.

Yes there is nerve damage, arthritic joints and spinal miss alignment but an hour and a half with him gives anything up to 6 months relief and all for less than £30.00 plus I recommend a decent bed most nights of the week. (10 months now and still waiting to see the Hospital Physio??) However I will never be able to lay with my head on my right forearm ever again as the pain is unbearable after just 3 mins.

I would highly recommend a sports type clinic that can give you a deep Body massage as opposed to Big Bertha who works above the chippy -- if you get my lingo? Although maybe at our ages a rush of blood to any part of the body would be beneficial ?

psychlist
19-09-2006, 02:42 PM
I suffer from nerve problems in the area of some back surgery I had a couple of years ago, and always will do. What I have found that helps is a treatment that deadens the nerve endings in the area, sorry can't remember what it was called. It will lead to a certain numbness around the site if the injury but then that may not be a bad thing anyway. If you're interested I'll try and find out what it's called again?

Nim
19-09-2006, 04:44 PM
hey jerry, have you tried cranial osteopathy?? i send alot of patients of mine in similar situations as yours for this, and it really helps. If you can get to london, (nr notting hill) try amos heller 0207 221 3557. the acupuncture should help in the long term too, and there are certain dietary and supplement considerations that could help alot. Let me know if you want any more advice along those lines (im a med nutritionist) ....