PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Paris

Darry
17-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Hello,

Thinking of taking the bike over to Paris for a few days this month.

Any idea's what legal docs I need? (My insurance covers me fully comp in Europe and I have full RAC cover) and any other things you can think of?

Will be using the EuroTunnel, is it wise to book in advance or just as easy to pay on arrival? Price difference?

Cheers,
Darry.

Bodybag
18-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Make sure your RAC cover is European cover as the full cover only extends to Europe if you apply for it. You need to carry spare bulbs etc. in certain European countries but not sure what France requires. Never really took notice of the local peculiarities while I lived there. Be aware too with French roundabouts, if you're on it you have to give way to traffic coming onto it rather than you having right of way all the way round. Always amusing to sit at a bar on Place Saint George in Toulouse and watch tourists getting it wrong. :mand:

Darry
18-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Cheers bodybag,

I already knew about the priorite a droit rule... bloody stupid if you ask me and causes so many accidents.

I used to live in Paris, but never driven there, looking forward to going round the arc de triomphe, just for the hell of it, I've crossed it many times drunk on foot (I know stupid and dangerous), should be fun!

My RAC covers all over Europe, got full (inc Europe) at the Ally Pally.

D.

jrpdark
18-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Err, not sure that you're correct there. I think prioritie a droite (which was a bloody stupid rule - you're right) was abolished some years ago in MOST cases, esp roundabouts. You will know this now when you approach a roundabout where it will say "Vous n'avez la prioritie" or some such. HOWEVER, it does still apply in some cases, worryingly some minor roads entering onto a major road, as I discovered on our summer hols this year when a Poogeot 205 shot out in front of us. I'm buggered if I know how to tell which do have priorite a droit though, so not much help.
All I can offer you is to do what I do, take it slow, look all around, and if in doubt, stop.
Good luck.

James
PS if you're a member of the RAC maybe they can advise? Or is that one of the "services" that has gone out of the window in the rush to garb cash from the customer...?

Darry
18-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Err, not sure that you're correct there. I think prioritie a droite (which was a bloody stupid rule - you're right) was abolished some years ago in MOST cases, esp roundabouts. You will know this now when you approach a roundabout where it will say "Vous n'avez la prioritie" or some such. HOWEVER, it does still apply in some cases, worryingly some minor roads entering onto a major road, as I discovered on our summer hols this year when a Poogeot 205 shot out in front of us. I'm buggered if I know how to tell which do have priorite a droit though, so not much help.
All I can offer you is to do what I do, take it slow, look all around, and if in doubt, stop.
Good luck.

James
PS if you're a member of the RAC maybe they can advise? Or is that one of the "services" that has gone out of the window in the rush to garb cash from the customer...?

Hi James, Thanks for the info.

Regarding the "Priorite a droite rule", it was never abolished, but the rules changed for where it applies. Most places the rules are the same as in the UK including most roundabouts as you mentioned. There are still many areas, often in town where this stupid rule still applies, including the world busy roundabout "The Etoile" (arc de triomphe). Along a major road you will often see a yellow diamond shaped roadsign, this means "priorite a droit" does not apply.

I looked at the AA site and its very useful, and seems to answer most of my questions.

Here's the links if needed:
Compulsory Equipment > http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/AA_compulsory_equipment_june2006.doc
Motoring advice by country>http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html

jrpdark
18-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Darry
Thanks for that - there's something I thought I knew but as it turns out didn't know at all!
Thanks for the tip on the yellow sign - I will look out for that next time I'm driving/riding in France.
Cheers
James

Darry
19-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Can anyone answer the below?

I Will be using the EuroTunnel, is it wise to book in advance or just as easy to turn up and go? Price difference?

Thanks
Darry.

Tonio600
19-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Priorite a droite only applies when nothing else applies.
That's quite a basic rule. And it's needed for countryside roads where there is no road markings. It still exists in France.

Re. roundabout, most of them are like everywhere else, you've got the priority when you're in.

Place de l'Etoile is not quite a roundabout. I guess it works in a different way because the trafic is not like anywhere else. The same applies for the periph', priority is for people entering it, which is exactly the opposite of any double carrigeway or motorway. But once again, I guess the rule is in a way it suits better the trafic you can find there.

Tonio600
19-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Can anyone answer the below?

I Will be using the EuroTunnel, is it wise to book in advance or just as easy to turn up and go? Price difference?

Thanks
Darry.

For the best prices, you want to cross with Speedferries... Sorry can't help re. the tunnel.

farl
19-09-2006, 02:21 PM
It's cheaper to book rather than just turn up. You could get a cheap day return (out from uk) but don't come back that day. Pay by cash from a travel agent if you can, otherwise when you go to get the one day return in France for the journey back they can add the difference if you used a card. It's usually much cheaper but perhaps abit sneaky..

Darry
27-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Well I made it to Paris in one piece; the Channel Tunnel was a breeze and I got an earlier train due to me getting up on time and arriving early (now that's a first), I tackled the Peripherique (Paris Ring Road) and the Etoile (8 lane roundabout) this morning, which was all surprisingly easy, which is more than can be said about this bloody French keyboard!!

Off out now, to try out my French (with strong sexy English accent) on the unsuspecting French Mademoiselles! ;)

bigredduke
27-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Don't forget to call in at Ducati Paris, on the avenue 'behind' the Arc de Triomphe, on the opposite side to the champs el thingy there is also a good Dianese shop nearby there as well!

Darry
27-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Don't forget to call in at Ducati Paris, on the avenue 'behind' the Arc de Triomphe, on the opposite side to the champs el thingy there is also a good Dianese shop nearby there as well!

Will do, bought some t-shirts there last visit as with the exchange rate they were cheaper then in the UK.