PDA

View Full Version : Problem Front S4R brakes

small boy
16-09-2006, 01:24 PM
:scratch: When i brake hard,i get a loud rubbing sound and can feel it thru the front brake lever,i have changed the brake pads,which have made a small differece but still cause this noise (embarressing at junctions !!).Any ideas please??
Small boy:woot:

Scotty
16-09-2006, 03:27 PM
buy a louder exhaust

small boy
17-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Got one !!

Gilps
17-09-2006, 08:35 AM
I would check that the disks are not worn or warped. If they are OK then it could be the pistons in the calipers (or is that caLIPers?) not moving freely. A bit of copper grease should do the trick there.

slob
17-09-2006, 08:59 AM
You could try adding a small chamfer to the leading(rear) edge of each pad.

Darry
17-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Some copper slip on the back of the pad may help.

If not maybe the pads have gone shiny due to too soft breaking. Either try a few emergecy stops; if not take pads off rub fronts with sand paper (so roughen up) then take her out and do some emergency stops to bed them in.

Scotty
17-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I would check that the disks are not worn or warped. If they are OK then it could be the pistons in the calipers (or is that caLIPers?) not moving freely. A bit of copper grease should do the trick there.

though copper grease was bad for the seals (i still use it like) and you should go for silicone grease ?

slob
17-09-2006, 04:01 PM
...take pads off rub fronts with sand paper (so roughen up) then take her out and do some emergency stops to bed them in.
Which will just glaze them. Use them little and often to bed them in, allowing them to cool between applications.

wobly999
27-09-2006, 09:06 PM
i have the same problem with the front brakes on my S4R to.
I have tried all off the suggested fixes but with no change.
I am still working on the solution, when i find it i will drop you a line.
Wobly

Darry
28-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Which will just glaze them. Use them little and often to bed them in, allowing them to cool between applications.

Slob, Ive always been told and read that this done with firm breaking stops glazing, its the light braking that makes them glaze.

Orfink69
28-09-2006, 06:40 PM
and clean them, with a good quality brake cleaner.

Take it out and on a quiet, straight road try some gentle through to hard braking. If they are glazed it should cure it.

There is a previous post of mine, suffering exactly the same problem.

Strip and clean, with a touch of hard, two up braking cured mine. Mind you I'm not saying yours is the same cause. Worth a shot though.