PDA

View Full Version : Hypermotard Pics

emily's driver
12-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Yes yes yes I know it's not a monster, but wondered how many of you have seen the finished article yet. These pics are of the Ducati CEO Federico Minoli out for a blast (either he is very tall or the Hypermotard is one small motorbike). The styling differs from the concept bike (see below), cost cutting no doubt, and looks a bit plasticky (is there such a word) to me. You be the judge and tell me what you think.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=10152&stc=1&d=1158049462

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=10153&stc=1&d=1158049462

Here is a refresher of what the original looked like. Note the dry clutch is no more on the production bike. Shame.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=10154&stc=1&d=1158049462

Pugi
12-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Looks close enough to the original to still look gorgeous to me!
Maybe the dry clutch has been replaced since it may not be practical if you use the bike like a motard is supposed to be used? Also I remember someone speculating that the dry clutch was to be abscent on all new Ducatis...?

Shandy
12-09-2006, 03:02 PM
I still like the look of it, it kind of looks like a halfway house between a monster and the multistrada.

Dave G
12-09-2006, 04:13 PM
twin discs too,headlight may be a temprorary one,shame,cos its nicer than the concept.
Hate the beak!

Redkite2
12-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Looks like a demented chicken to me.
Rear end's OK

neilbaldry
12-09-2006, 05:15 PM
it looks like what it is, a Multistrada in SM clothes. still nice, and aslong as it wheelies like a mentalist then who cares? we know it will handle, thats what Ducatis do!

benson
12-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Looks about the same size as the MS to me - which is good news for my obsession with having one when they come out properly!!! I really like it and I have to say that I'd be sorely tempted when looking for an all year commuting maniac bike to replace the GS....Very nice and I actually like the beak - but I'd miss the rattle of the dry clutch even if it is a more sensible option!

scrumpster
14-09-2006, 06:36 AM
Is that you on the left Rod? :D

emily's driver
14-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Is that you on the left Rod? :D

Well I have ridden the Sports Classic but not that particular one. Imagine if I was that close to the President of the company, I would have been grilling him for all sorts of info by now. New 1098 bike, new monsters due out in 2008, a possible change of career etc etc. Or did you mean the far left? I do need a haircut.

Will
14-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Yes yes yes I know it's not a monster, but wondered how many of you have seen the finished article yet. These pics are of the Ducati CEO Federico Minoli out for a blast (either he is very tall or the Hypermotard is one small motorbike). The styling differs from the concept bike (see below), cost cutting no doubt, and looks a bit plasticky (is there such a word) to me. You be the judge and tell me what you think.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=10152&stc=1&d=1158049462

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=10153&stc=1&d=1158049462

Here is a refresher of what the original looked like. Note the dry clutch is no more on the production bike. Shame.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=10154&stc=1&d=1158049462

Sorry but the thing is hideous - but most don't dare say so!

scrumpster
14-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Or did you mean the far left? I do need a haircut.

Sharon says...........................................NO! ! I'm at Basingstoke with a carb problem as well, why me??!!!!

Nonnie
14-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Ha! As if just being in Basingstoke wasn't bad enough.

It's OK, I can say that. I used to live there. Doughnut City.

Get Well Soon Munch.

JMo
14-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Shame... it really is just a Multistrimmer without the top fairing (as Neil Baldry says) - the tail is still pig-ugly, and the dual footrest hangers look clumsy too... The exhaust routing, oil cooler and twin disks all add visual weight, and as for the new headlight - blugh.

Nice to see they've kept the clever handguards/indicators though... but really, it's no looker is it?

xxx

Dave G
14-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Uh oh, just noticed behind the riders right leg......a catylist box!!!

Still look on the bright side, its a cooler looking multistrada!:p

giler
14-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Get rid of the cat, rear footrest hangers and do a tail chop, the you would be getting back to somewhere like the original concept.
Would like a spin on one, as I love supermotos
Giler

claicerrig
14-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Get rid of the cat, rear footrest hangers and do a tail chop, the you would be getting back to somewhere like the original concept.
Would like a spin on one, as I love supermotos
Giler

I`m with Giler on this :woot: :woot:

It might be the one bike that consider selling the Monster for :o

No i cant it dont have plumbing :D :D :D

benson
14-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Oh god - it isn't as nice as I first thought at all - just re reading the posts and looking in more detail at the bike....So if I want a supermotard that my feet will reach the floor on......(and don't say buy a minimoto!!!)

Gilps
14-09-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm going to wait and see what the new BMW F800 GS looks like. They've got a good engine there and in the right package I think it's going to be a winner.

benson
14-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Hmm you have a point - I have the GS650 and I love it for the winter especially - reliable and fun too......

benson
14-09-2006, 06:49 PM
But then again the F800 is one ugly bike... just been on the web to look at it again and much as I like the idea of the parallel twin it's just ugly...

I like my GS - it's great fun and can hold its own through town and even on the motorway it's happy enough at 90 and my head doesn't get ripped off my shoulders (how I hate it when that happens...) The insirance group is low and it's cheap as anything to run....Wish my legs were longer to reach the ground on the bigger version!

emily's driver
14-09-2006, 06:55 PM
But then again the F800 is one ugly bike... just been on the web to look at it again and much as I like the idea of the parallel twin it's just ugly...

I like my GS - it's great fun and can hold its own through town and even on the motorway it's happy enough at 90 and my head doesn't get ripped off my shoulders (how I hate it when that happens...) The insirance group is low and it's cheap as anything to run....Wish my legs were longer to reach the ground on the bigger version!

Rachel do not despair, we are looking after those platform shoes of yours...so perhaps!

neilbaldry
14-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Uh oh, just noticed behind the riders right leg......a catylist box!!!

not surprised! with all these tight-ass bike-hating euro-types pressing on with the euroIII emissions laws.......... just gonna have to buy a full termi system for it arntcha! hehe!

Shandy
14-09-2006, 07:01 PM
not surprised! with all these tight-ass bike-hating euro-types pressing on with the euroIII emissions laws.......... just gonna have to buy a full termi system for it arntcha! hehe!

Oh yes, nothing the removal of a few bolts wouldn't sort out, give it an hour after the launch and there will be an after market link pipe out there to sort it out :yoparty:

I still like it, just looks a bit different and looks like alot of fun.

Shandy

neilbaldry
14-09-2006, 07:07 PM
:

I still like it, just looks a bit different and looks like alot of fun.

Shandy

i bet its a great town tool. anyone know if they will be adding a slipper clutch?

will anyone be mental enough to try and fit dirt tyres on it?!

Will
14-09-2006, 08:10 PM

The big GS(1200) is great - off to the South of France this Saturday on mine. You can get the seat lowered you know?

benson
14-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Oh Will that really wasn't what I needed to hear!!!!!:dizzy:

Vincent Jones
15-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Oh god - it isn't as nice as I first thought at all - just re reading the posts and looking in more detail at the bike....So if I want a supermotard that my feet will reach the floor on......(and don't say buy a minimoto!!!)

I don't blame you for the 180. Perhaps if that rancid looking beak was dispensed with and that insignificant headlight replaced with one that looks a bit more burly, it would stand a chance of looking half reasonable. No dry clutch means no rattle. Sorry, doesn’t float my boat!

benson
15-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Hmmm. I know - will the bike be at the NEC I wonder? Now there's something to look forward to - a day clambering on bikes and writing my list of next bikes.....

farl
15-09-2006, 07:36 AM
There's been an interesting discussion about the bike's dimensions. They've put a smaller bloke on it. The pics at http://blog.ducati.com/post/69/dimensioni#more

singletrack
15-09-2006, 07:48 AM
oooh - he's 5'4" and he can touch the floor:)
It sounds promising for us shorties.

Shandy
15-09-2006, 08:03 AM
oooh - he's 5'4" and he can touch the floor:)
It sounds promising for us shorties.

He's on his tip toes though and is only just touching the floor, its looking good for us tall types :chuckle:

Will
15-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Oh Will that really wasn't what I needed to hear!!!!!:dizzy:

There aren't many women riding the 1200GS because it is a pretty tall bike - if you are under 5'9" and don't have long legs then you might struggle with the standard seat height (840/860mm), however there a few that have had the seat lowered and then it is no problem at all - even though the bike looks big and intimidating, it is not that heavy (200kgs dry - about the same as a Ducati 999).

It is a great bike in may ways, but one of it's best features is that you can literally ride it all day and still not want to get off it. I would love a sports bike and another Monster, but there isn't single bike that I would swap the GS for.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack this thread.:worried:

Gilps
15-09-2006, 01:43 PM
And that's why I think the F800 GS will be a winner. Good engine with the 1200 GS styling and practicality will be a great package. I'll have me one for winter and keep the Monster for sunny days. I love my 650 GS but it is just a little under-powered for serious fun. A good tool to keep the crap off the Ducati though, and so practical.

andy pea
15-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Hmmm. I know - will the bike be at the NEC I wonder? Now there's something to look forward to - a day clambering on bikes and writing my list of next bikes.....

Just had a look at the Bike show website, no mention of Ducati? I'm sure I read elsewhere that they weren't going to be at the NEC this year... waiting 'till the Milan show to unveil the 999's replacement?

With regards to the Hyper Motard, I like the idea but wonder if it's a "single-sided-swinging-arm too far"?

Gilps
15-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I also heard that they won't be at the NEC this year, and with all the other Italian manufacturers absent last year, it's becoming a bit boring really.

benson
15-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Hmmmmm....no Ducati at the NEC indeed or so it seems.... Pity - still fancy it as a day out though, lots of other things to see...:eyepopping:

Re the GS122 - The 840 seat hieght is definitely a tip toe too far - the weight however isn't something I'd cite as a barrier - I happily rode the Blackbird for more than a few years which I think was 227 KGS - I just became a careful parker and a watcher of camber!:flamed:

Not sure what i think of the hypermotard really - would like to see one in the flesh...

emily's driver
15-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Just had a look at the Bike show website, no mention of Ducati? I'm sure I read elsewhere that they weren't going to be at the NEC this year... waiting 'till the Milan show to unveil the 999's replacement?

With regards to the Hyper Motard, I like the idea but wonder if it's a "single-sided-swinging-arm too far"?

You are quite right. Ducati will not be at the NEC this year as they plan to save the fireworks for EICMA in Milan 2006 (November 14th - 19th) which is where they plan to unveil the new HyperMotard, Ducati S4R Testastretta. Multistrada 1100 and 1100S and the all new 1098 superbike. Plus they will have the Desmosedici RR on display too, as well as the 695 which was an early 07 release. It appears as though they feel Italy would seem a better stage on which to launch their all important 2007 line up, so Birmingham loses out.

From what I have gleaned from Italy, you will have to wait until 2008 before the new Monster breaks cover, which once production of the 1098 and Desmosedici bikes are well established, is the next radical change to the current model range. No information as yet but I have been told to expect some news by April 2007 as to what the new Monster may look like. Ducati claims that for a model with such longevity, it is not planning on a blank sheet redesign of the original concept, but in it's current form there is little scope for major changes anymore save to it's capacity which may reach 1200cc as a send off limited edition, before the form of the bike as we know it, is replaced by something fresh and original. We just have to hope that it does not mimic the 999's customer reaction when it replaced the iconic 916 series.

dam
18-09-2006, 03:13 PM
New pic (courtesy of Visordown.com)

benson
18-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Where's his other leg???:chuckle:

Bodybag
18-09-2006, 06:31 PM
'twould appear slightly taller than our current steeds m'lud!! A good 16 hands if ever I saw it.

Or is the test rider a dwarf?!

scrumpster
18-09-2006, 08:39 PM
'twould appear slightly taller than our current steeds m'lud!! A good 16 hands if ever I saw it.

Or is the test rider a dwarf?!

Yep it's Dopey..................

JMo
18-09-2006, 10:46 PM

'Courtesy' and 'Visordown' - not often you see those two words in such close proximity... ahem.

xxx

Bodybag
18-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Yep it's Dopey..................
Just had another look at that picture and he really is tiny. Only just taller than that rather average height petrol pump. Its a Monster Sized Motard. :( Was hoping it would be nice and tall for us lanky buggers but should have known coming from the Italian dwarf motorcycle company. Damn, Damn, Damn!!!

Still a good looking bike though.

Shandy
18-09-2006, 11:31 PM
:( Was hoping it would be nice and tall for us lanky buggers but should have known coming from the Italian dwarf motorcycle company. Damn, Damn, Damn!!!

oh crap, i was hoping for a propper tall bike too, if the 5' 4'' bloke is on tip toes that makes me the 6' 4'' bloke a scrunched up ball on a bike again :thumbsdown:

Still like the look of the bike though and will have a proper nose at it when it gets to the dealers :thumbsup:

Bodybag
18-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Guess us 6'4" types will have to continue looking like we're in the minimoto super cup!!