PDA

View Full Version : Five years on

Nonnie
11-09-2006, 06:45 PM
From September 11th and who could believe what they were seeing that day? I was actually at Heathrow airport early that morning waving off my best friends Mum who was flying to Denver to see her. I gave her some presents for my friend and had coffee. Got home and saw what looked like live coverage of World War 3 on the news. Then my best friend rang up from America to ask me where her Mum was. I knew, in reality, she could only have got as far as maybe just outside Scotland somewhere but that conversation was just awful. I sat and waited and waited and made further calls to the States and she passed me back news too and we both waited for news of her Mum. About 4 hours later, her Mum rang as the plane had been turned around on the pretext that there was bad weather at the other end and obviously to stop people completely freaking out. She didn't know anything about what had happened, she just said Heathrow had gone crazy, there was armed police everywhere. I went back to the airport and this time had to prove who I was before they'd let me in, found her and called my friend. I took her home with me and we sat and watched the news together. What an absolutely awful day. Done in such spectacular style, designed to horrify you.

Mr C
12-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Even now when i see it, it never fails to shock me

Chaos Inc.
12-09-2006, 08:30 AM
I had and interesting one: Sitting in Canary Wharf tower doing live internet news feeds on the Telegraph as it happens and reading a brief on my desk - Canary Towers has been evacuated - says me, why are we still on the 16th floor in direct flight path of London City? - says editor Someone has to do the news and thats us.

mark cross
12-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I was in a state of shock that day as my 39 year brother died of a heart condition called cardio myopathythe day before (10th). watching the t.v coverage seemed very sureal

boris
12-09-2006, 07:47 PM
On Sep 10th I flew back from a diving holiday in Egypt. (Qualified diver 27years - BSAC Advanced Instructor) I didn't feel too good on the flight back to London, but then on the way to Inverness I took a turn for the worst and had a decompression 'hit' during the flight. After landing, I had a blue light ride to the Hyperbaric facility in Aberdeen (122 miles, 1Hr 17 mins - work it out!) The next 24hrs or so were a blur of treatments, but someway through I recall looking at a TV in the ward and not understanding why the news kept showing clips of what I thought then was an 'action-type' movie. For any of you diver's out there I was very lucky to survive a spinal bend, and the memory on several counts will never fade. And to think I returned to sub-aqua again after a ten year break 'cause the wife was worried about my Skydiving!! :fou: