PDA

View Full Version : A new experience for me today.......

Shandy
11-09-2006, 06:25 PM
.......thanks to the lying weather man this morning :fou:

Just had to ride for about half my journey home which is around 30 minutes in the rain, not that namby pamby drizzly stuff but proper rain which was a first for me as i've allways been worried about it. I ride with textile clobber anyway which is pretty much waterproof so no problem there but i did notice two things,

1, My summer type gloves filled up with water running off the sleeves every time i braked :thumbsdown: :Furious:
2, By the time i got home the toes of my sidi's were full of water too :thumbsdown: :Furious:

If i'm going to do much more of this i need to get some new wet weather gear :look:

As expected though the bike was just fine :thumbsup: All in all it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be appart from the spray on the motorway which was a bit of a pain, just goes to show though a monsters ok to ride in the wet too, even for a battered old one like mine.

Cheers,

Shandy

spacemonkey
11-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Count your self lucky.. This afternoon Itook the train to Bath to collect bike form Louigi Moto. As it's bloody hot I'm in jeans, Tshirt and vented leather jacket. Just as I leave Louigis, the heavens open up in a deluge that lasts the whole sorry trip home. Not bleedin' nice at all. My boots are watertight Danners that can easily cope with Dartmoor and the Beacon's finest, but my jeans were so soaked the wicked the water down in my socks and thus I got wet toes. The worst bit is when you get water run down your back..

Shandy
11-09-2006, 07:18 PM
That sucks :thumbsdown:

Like you I thought it was summer this morning, the weather man agreed with me (git) so off on the bike I went.

On the bright side at least it wasn't cold, i don't mind getting wet but wet and cold, nah not for me.

spacemonkey
11-09-2006, 08:15 PM
It is with a 55mph windchill.. Brr...

How's the new 916??? Offering test rides yet?? ;)

NattyBoy
11-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Was that you this morning shandy hooking a right into chavsda..?

Nat

Shandy
11-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Was that you this morning shandy hooking a right into chavsda..?

Nat

Oh yes needed some go go stuff in the tank to get me to common Sonning in Reading, pay at pump it's the way forward :thumbsup:

Didn't see you though??????

Shandy
11-09-2006, 08:35 PM
How's the new 916??? Offering test rides yet?? ;)

The 916 is bloody superb, in comparison to the old M600 it scares the ****e out of me, acceleration, braking, all out speed like nothing I’ve ever experienced :eek: :on: I'm still getting used to its handling which after the monster is taking a while, I can just chuck the monster around no problem with this one I’m still a bit timid in the corners, but for fourth bike I’ve ever ridden not bad eh.

Test rides available on the you bend it, you mend it system. Well they will be soon, got all the body work off at the mo to give the whole thing a deep clean and polish etc......one new thing I found is that the bath is ideal for cleaning fairings in, particularly when its windy outside :mand:

nik_the_brief
11-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Ha ha ha - it's was in the 80s all day and sunny as you like in my neck of the woods.

spacemonkey
11-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Test rides available on the you bend it, you mend it system. Well they will be soon, got all the body work off at the mo to give the whole thing a deep clean and polish etc......one new thing I found is that the bath is ideal for cleaning fairings in, particularly when its windy outside :mand:

Hey, that's cool.. All I really want is for some one to let me try one out for riding position, not for going mental on. Well, ok, a little bit of throttle...

Also I found the kitchen table is superb for engine rebuilds.

Nik--- Cnut...:hissy:

Shandy
11-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Ha ha ha - it's was in the 80s all day and sunny as you like in my neck of the woods.

Nothing else to say on that i think spacemonkey covered it :hissy:

Also I found the kitchen table is superb for engine rebuilds

I was going to use a table in the lounge for the monster engine over winter cos it will be cold in the garage and i can't see the telly from there ;)

Should have the 916 back together in a week or so, if the weathers still good i'll drop you a line. On the comfort/riding position i think i'll be looking into an alternative seat next year, its not to bad but it could be better. The first time i rode it i got caught out whacking my nuts on the tank going over some rough road, i wasn't prepared for that :cry: :cry:

mark cross
12-09-2006, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=Shandy].......thanks to the lying weather man this morning :fou:

Just had to ride for about half my journey home which is around 30 minutes in the rain, not that namby pamby drizzly stuff but proper rain which was a first for me as i've allways been worried about it.
If i'm going to do much more of this i need to get some new wet weather gear :look:

Come to N.irlnd Shandy, what you call wet weather gear is what we wear 360 days a year. You`d never get riding over here if you werent out in the rain:cry:

Gilps
12-09-2006, 01:24 PM
When I'm a little unsure of the weather I stick my wet weather gear in my bag. I've got overtrousers and overjacket which roll up quite small. Think it cost about £40 for the set and they've never leaked. Another tip, if you want to wear summer gloves and don't want to carry bulky waterproof ones round, then carry a a pair of latex surgical gloves then wear them under your gloves. Your gloves will still leak but your hands will be dry.
I got caught in a thunderstorm up North in August. I happened to be travelling in the same direction as the storm at about the same speed. I got stuck with all the thundering and ligthening for about 1 1/2 hours. Just when I got ahead of the storm my fuel light came on. As I filled up with petrol the storm caught up with me again and I had to ride for another hour in the same storm. Now that was wet and not much fun, but the Monster never missed a beat.

nik_the_brief
12-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Nik--- Cnut...:hissy:

A dry one - the worst kind eh!! :D

Shandy
12-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Come to N.irlnd Shandy, what you call wet weather gear is what we wear 360 days a year. You`d never get riding over here if you werent out in the rain:cry:

Look on the bright side, that leaves five dry days a year :mand:

carry a a pair of latex surgical gloves then wear them under your gloves. Your gloves will still leak but your hands will be dry.

Thanks for the tip, i'm off to the dentist in a couple of weeks, for what he's charging for the fillings he can throw in a few of them there gloves ;)

I've managed 700 miles in the last ten days now, dry, wet, the old girl aint missed a beat just used a touch of oil. Who ever says you can't use a monster every day is talking bollocks :yoparty:

Shandy
12-09-2006, 09:26 PM
A dry one - the worst kind eh!! :D

Not as bad as dry and smelly :p

Gilps
13-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the tip, i'm off to the dentist in a couple of weeks, for what he's charging for the fillings he can throw in a few of them there gloves ;)

I bought mine in a box of 100, about the size of a tissues box. I got mine from these guys, along with all my PPE stuff for work.
http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Product.asp?i=1921&n=Latex+Disposable+Glove
Mechanics also wear them so you should be able to get them from any motor factors, or medical supplies outlet. I also wear them sometimes when fettling my bike. Saves getting oil/grease all over your hands.

sadbiker
13-09-2006, 08:13 AM
When I go touring, I tend to also carry a pair of over boots, Frankthomas aqua pack and my winter waterproof gloves. If it suddenly changes we turn into Michelin Man, but keep very dry.

Learnt my lesson when we got caught in the major storms France had a few years back during a Easter break. We were supposed to be camping but ended up in a hotel with a brilliant resturant in the middle of nowhere. 7 hours of riding through some of the worst storms we had ever experinced. At one point on a motorway everyone pulled over under bridges, the wind nearly took the bikes from us. When we stopped at the Hotel we were made so welcome, took 3 days to dry out.

We then headed west to La Rochelle and got a campsite just above it. The girl at reception looked very strange at us and said we were the first to camp there that year in tents....