PDA

View Full Version : 16/17 September Road Racing at Scarborough Oliver's Mount

nambduke
08-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi,

Just a reminder:

Oliver's Mount INTERNATIONAL GOLD CUP Motorcycle Road Races will be on the 16/17th September.

Any interest to meet up for the weekend as a group?

Regards,
nambduke
Mark

slob
09-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Oliver's mount is an insane track, public roads when not being used as a track, that has to be seen to be believed, its about 9ft wide with no run-off whatsoever and trees right next to the tarmac, more suited to 1960s Brit iron than modern bikes but the racing is always ourageous as a result. If you get a chance head down and take a look!

nambduke
09-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Slob,

Although narrow, it's great fun and you can get right up close to the circuit. As you say, it's public road through the year, but if anyone decides to have a ride round through the year, be VERY careful....they tend to put gravel on some of the corners:thumbsdown: ! Perceived as being dangerous by the like of the late Barry Sheene, in todays world, many think it should be closed. I disagree as I think we've gone too far protecting those souls who want a challenge! They used to run rally cars in the opposite direction to the bikes which was interesting.....before anyone :fou: says anything.....cars and bikes were run at separate events!!

If the weather is good, I'm thinking of making a weekend of it. They used to allow camping on the Mount, but don't know if that still happens? I'll try and find out unless someone else already knows.

UPDATE: Camping needed to be booked before 30th August...£8/night. Prebook weekend race tickets £35, but again needed to be booked before 30th August. However , you can pay at the gate each day for £20 (under 15s accompanying adults free)

Anyone else interested?

Regards,
nambduke
Mark

CrashMonkey
10-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Olivers mount, my arch nemesis. (Thats where I broke my thumb 6 weeks or so ago :thumbsdown: ) I'll definately be there with my brother (he'll be on a blue zxr 750), would be pretty cool to get a beer with anyone else who's going along :)

[Edit] Actually... Might be my dad comes for a visit on his z750s next weekend, so if so, not sure if i'll make it (Depends if we decide to go to races or just ride out somewhere, will let ya know closer to the time).

nambduke
10-09-2006, 05:54 PM
OK, CrashMonkey.....keep you fingers crossed for good weather!

Regards,
nambduke
Mark

CrashMonkey
10-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Aye, i'll be across even if its bad tbh, only a 40 min ride from me to scarborough. Hope to see a few of ya there :)