PDA

View Full Version : speed gear box

mintydrummerman
07-09-2006, 05:48 PM
at the risk of sounding a complete numpty here, are there 620 monsters with 5 and/or 6 speed gear boxes? If so why and how do you tell the difference?
:D

Scotty
07-09-2006, 06:06 PM
well
in my head at least they used to be 5 speed but at some point they changed to 6 speed (relativly recently 2 or 3 yeasrs ago)

the 583 was always 5 speed but there was a dp kit to goto 6 speed with thiner than normal bits or sumit

how to tell ? go and ride it its all internal stuff so theres nowt to see

am suspecting it is all in my mind cant find a 6 speed kit in me cataloge :confused:

JMo
07-09-2006, 06:11 PM
at the risk of sounding a complete numpty here, are there 620 monsters with 5 and/or 6 speed gear boxes? If so why and how do you tell the difference?
:D

At the risk of sounding facetious, try riding one and moving your foot up 5 times x

More seriously, as I understand it, 2004 model year onwards had the 6 speed gearbox, together with the ATPC slipper clutch, anything registered before that is likely to be 5 speed with a regular clutch.

The later bikes also have a huge 48 tooth rear sprocket (46 was standard on the 5-speed), but as the older bike couldn't pull much more than 120 in top gear anyway, I imagine it was to give a bit more umph in the lower gears, whilest having 6th as an overdrive essentially...

xxx

CK & AK
07-09-2006, 08:05 PM
6 speed combined with the road slipper clutch came into the UK from late Sept 2004 onwards. Prior to that as JMo says, they were all 5 speed, but you could buy a 6 speed (and still can do so) to put in these bikes quite easily.

However, these overlapped for about 6 months or more in the showrooms so you would need to check if the bike has a slipper too

JMo - dont know if you remember the 1st monster weekend in 2003 where Blufoot was clocked doing in excess of 130 mph on the flat on his 2002 M620?
Mind you, the little s*d managed well into 120, 2 up on that poor old bike:mand:

None of us believed it at the time, but this has been proven quite a few times since by sticking bikes on dynos.

Our 2005 620 does 145 on the dyno with a 46 rear sprocket, but that obviously has no wind resistance :cry: but has also been clocked on the track popping a cheerful 137:eyepopping: 6 speed is slight overdrive, but the gear spead is different to the 5 speed so it will keep pulling longer.

:)

Shandy
07-09-2006, 08:20 PM
they were all 5 speed, but you could buy a 6 speed (and still can do so) to put in these bikes quite easily.

Now i didn't know you could do that :eyepopping:

Sorry to but in on the thread but do you know how much and where you can get them from CK & AK????

Cheers,

Andy

CK & AK
07-09-2006, 08:24 PM
6 speed boxes are available & can be ordered from any ducati dealer - Snells were v quick to get one in for us in May 2005 for the old 2003 620 engine we had going into the old 2001 M600 (yeah, it did a 'morph, but is now back to std 583 this year on the track)

a year ago you would have been looking at about £350 -/+

might be cheaper to find a stuffed later bike & get the complete engine, gearbox & slipper if that rocks your boat:)

C

Scotty
07-09-2006, 08:35 PM
a ha since the expirts have arrived (thank god) il ask about the close ratio gearbox i could get for me s4 , will it crippel it for road use?
i got stuck in 2nd for about 10 miles home the other day (damm loose bolts)pulling away didnt seem too bad , but would it be a mistake for a crap road rider (like meself) to make this change ?

Shandy
07-09-2006, 08:35 PM
6 speed boxes are available & can be ordered from any ducati dealer - Snells were v quick to get one in for us in May 2005 for the old 2003 620 engine we had going into the old 2001 M600 (yeah, it did a 'morph, but is now back to std 583 this year on the track)

a year ago you would have been looking at about £350 -/+

might be cheaper to find a stuffed later bike & get the complete engine, gearbox & slipper if that rocks your boat:)

C

mmmm very interesting thanks for that, me thinks this could be another one for the christmas parts list :look: :look:

Shandy