PDA

View Full Version : Music File Probs.............

Didge
06-09-2006, 08:15 PM
I have a huge collection on .Wav & Mp3 music files. Why is it that problems occur with music 'skipping'? In particular, the Mp3s, which seem worse for this.
If I play music on WMP, the skipping is rather annoying, on my Magix player some skipping occurs, but not as much as on WMP.
If a song skips, and you go back, it will play that section perfectly, and skip elseware.
I'm now trialing WinJukebox, and the skipping on Mp3 songs was ****in' horrendous, but again, play that bit of the song again, and it won't skip in that point again, it'll skip elseware.
I know my music files are bloody perfect, because if I burn the .Wav files to CD, the CD will play without a hitch.
What is it about bloody media players, that cause this skipping?
Could another program like my anti-virus cause it or what?
I am so ****in' frustrated with it. :hissy:
Ta in advance.

Rogerg
06-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Didge - sounds like a bandwidth/ performance issue to me.

could it be an over full or fragmented disk?

it could be an antivirus thing, easy to test by temporarily disabling it.

spacemonkey
06-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Agreed, probably a filling up disk that badly needs de fragging.
Do a disc cleanup, then antivirus, adware, spyware and all that jazz. Then get rid of anything you don't want on the hard drive. Then go to internet options and flush the cookies, temp files and history. Then do a de frag. It is advisable to restart the pooter between stages. I find that if you do everything at once, it is none too keen. Bloody windows...

Didge
06-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Didge - sounds like a bandwidth/ performance issue to me.

could it be an over full or fragmented disk?

it could be an antivirus thing, easy to test by temporarily disabling it.

Agreed, probably a filling up disk that badly needs de fragging.
Do a disc cleanup, then antivirus, adware, spyware and all that jazz. Then get rid of anything you don't want on the hard drive. Then go to internet options and flush the cookies, temp files and history. Then do a de frag. It is advisable to restart the pooter between stages. I find that if you do everything at once, it is none too keen. Bloody windows...

Thanks for the info chaps. Plenty of space on disc. I'm gonna have a clean up & defrag tomorrow. I downloaded WinAmp, & I'm playing it now as I type this, and narry a skip. Go figure.
I can't understand why some media players are giving me crap by skipping, and others (WinAmp), seem to play just fine.
I'm fastidious with my music files, and ensure they are perfect, so this sort of thing really p!sses me off BIG TIME!
Anyway Space, how are you chap? Long time no speak.
Rog, hopefully see you (without the Jockery), and your better half on Sunday.

spacemonkey
06-09-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm cool, dude.
Not been doing much riding (too hot to work in leathers) and working on the suntan in the car instead. Then it rained for a month...
How's tricks? War wounds recovering? Could only manage an hour of that film, then gave it to my brother. You were sooo right....

CrashMonkey
07-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the info chaps. Plenty of space on disc. I'm gonna have a clean up & defrag tomorrow. I downloaded WinAmp, & I'm playing it now as I type this, and narry a skip. Go figure.
I can't understand why some media players are giving me crap by skipping, and others (WinAmp), seem to play just fine.
I'm fastidious with my music files, and ensure they are perfect, so this sort of thing really p!sses me off BIG TIME!
Anyway Space, how are you chap? Long time no speak.

Simple answer bud, winamp runs light, using very little of your computers resources. The other players are (probably) a little more resource heavy. Certainly win media player is a big fat resource leech for sure... Anything microsoft you can guarantee to be a pest :)

Rogerg
07-09-2006, 11:03 AM

Will do - probably will be joining you on an orange machine.

spacemonkey
07-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Didge, how much memory are you packing on your pooter?

Didge
07-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Didge, how much memory are you packing on your pooter?

512. You reckon I should go up to a Gb?

Rogerg
08-09-2006, 07:43 AM

I would - 512 is nowt by todays standards.

spacemonkey
08-09-2006, 12:04 PM

Without a doubt... basic 512 DDR400 (or whatever yours takes) is about £30 even from PC Ripoffworld. You know it makes sense..