PDA

View Full Version : Tail-chop kits - back in stock

JMo
06-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Yes, I have a new batch of tail-chop kits available now!

The kit is designed to fit any Monster with the curved tea-tray rear mudguard (that is typically 2000 model year onwards) and of course that means all the models in the current range.

The kit comprises a bracket that replaces the rear tea tray, remounting the standard rear light (or your choice of alternative of course) in the correct position, together with tabs to mount your choice of indicator under the edge of the seat. It also utilises the existing number plate mounting (see pictures) although your choice of alternative bracket can be easily mounted to the chop bracket should you desire.

For the most successful and neatest look, I recommend either the Clear Alternatives combined rear lamp unit, or a pair of Kellerman/Tinycator size indicators.

Full instructions are included together with all mounting hardware and bungs for the end of the frame rails - only two cuts are required to removed the excess frame under the original mudguard, and this can be easily reinstated should you desire, although I stress the fundamental design principle of the JMo kit is retain as much of a factory look as possible, just shorter and neater.

Price of the kit remains at £39.99 inc UK p&p for the time being, even though the post office have just put up their prices... x

For further information and to order a kit, please send me a PM.

JennyMo

xxx

Spike
06-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Jen
When are you going to branch out and do a kit for the earlier bikes got to be a market out there

JMo
06-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Jen
When are you going to branch out and do a kit for the earlier bikes got to be a market out there

Hee hee - so might you be interested at last then?! x

It's not quite as simple unfortunately - as you'll be aware, while the older frame already has a bracket to mount the light as part of the frame, the seat lock mechanism routes differently, and of course the older bikes do not come with the same number plate holder (although these can be purchased for around £6 from any Ducati dealer).

I do have instructions as to how to do a 'custom' tailchop on the earlier bike, and if you utilise the Clear Alternatives lamp then the visual effect is essentially the same.

If I had the opportunity to offer up the chop kit to an earlier bike, then it would certainly be possible to develop a version for those models, although the seat lock routing will have to be addressed to be straightforward for DIY fitting.

xxx

ladybird
16-09-2006, 02:17 PM
/me is quite lazy
whats the cost for having it fitted as well?

katana
16-09-2006, 09:39 PM
You are really lazy arent you :)

JMo
16-09-2006, 10:16 PM
/me is quite lazy
whats the cost for having it fitted as well?

Ah, if you fancy a day out at the seaside, it usually takes me about an hour or so to fit, so I'd charge £20 (and an ice cream on the prom)...

xxx

ladybird
17-09-2006, 11:35 AM
You are really lazy arent you :)
well, i did say :D

stoppit&tidyup
18-09-2006, 09:56 AM
I been wanting to chop the arse of my Duc since I got it. Also want a to get a set of high level Cans. Anyone got pis of what this might look like cheers.

JMo
18-09-2006, 01:36 PM
I been wanting to chop the arse of my Duc since I got it. Also want a to get a set of high level Cans. Anyone got pis of what this might look like cheers.

It depends on which cans you go for - the Termis are a bit long and stick out beyond the back of the seat unit, whereas Sil Moto do some very tidy short ones that stop in line with the rear of the bike when it's chopped. Alternatively you could always just get a pair of short(ish) cans and get some hi-level link pipes made up, giving a more individual/unique look?

If you search the gallery section there ought to be a few pictures of chopped bikes with various cans - GaryT's bike has the Sils - very nice...

xxx

JMo
30-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Just a note to say that it is possible to fit the chop bracket to an earlier bike (thanks mad turnips), however, a degree of jiggle and a couple of extra cuts is required, and therefore it is not really a straightforward DIY job.

For the moment I have no plans to offer a dedicated chop kit for the earlier bikes, however, should you wish to utilise one of current kits, I can certainly advise the procedure for adaptation... just let me know via PM x

Hell, I just wanted another post with my fancy new avatar...

xxx

mad_turnips
30-10-2006, 10:57 PM
i feel cheated i didnt get an ice cream

JMo
31-10-2006, 09:51 AM
i feel cheated i didnt get an ice cream

Nooooo - you were meant to buy them, you ninny!

xxx

916 Senna
01-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi Jenny, with the kit, can you do a smaller tail piece than the original one without indicator bits on, ie, just a semi chop!!!!

Mark

JMo
01-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi Jenny, with the kit, can you do a smaller tail piece than the original one without indicator bits on, ie, just a semi chop!!!!

Mark

Erm no, not really - the chop kit is designed to replace the mounting bracket for the rear lamp unit, and to located the original numberplate holder below it (although you could use an alternative numberplate bracket if preferred). You can then mount small indicators on the chop bracket tabs beneath the seat, or personally I'd go for the combined LED lamp unit for Clear Alternatives.

However, if the look you are after is a stumpy sort of mudguard, it might be possible to modify (cut down) the earlier square shaped tea-tray to create a lip beneath the rear light unit, but this would have to be a custom job...

There are some carbon nasty alternatives (from Germany I think) that crop up for time to time on Ebay that are a sort of semi-chop, but for goodness sake don't go for the bug-eye doofer, it really is clumsily styled...

Personally I'd just chop it properly, but then I'm biased of course...

xxx

916 Senna
02-11-2006, 07:19 AM
agree bout them bug eyes, ooooo, not nice, not seen one on mind but dinnae like them......cheers, Jen, I will decide what I wanna do, full or semi chop
Mark

RagZmAn
21-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Do you have a kit for sale that can still use the stock rear light and indicators but shortens the distance that the number plate sticks out past the rear wheel?
thanks

JMo
22-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Do you have a kit for sale that can still use the stock rear light and indicators but shortens the distance that the number plate sticks out past the rear wheel?
thanks

Yes, the chop kit keeps the tail light in the original position, and allows a choice of indicators to be mounted either side under the edge of the seat. The chop bracket utilises the original number plate holder and mounts the plate below the rear light, although you can choose to use a different Rrsend style metal bracket if you prefer.

It is certainly possible to use the existing indicators (although I suggest you swap the front and rear ones around if you have a seat cowl fitted, as it clears the edge of the cowl better), but personally I think this looks a bit ugly - it is far better to use the Clear Alternatives LED combined rear light and indicator unit for a totally clean/neat look, or smaller, Tinycator style indicators either side.

I see I have a PM too...

xxx