PDA

View Full Version : Mini Weekender October 2007

gary tompkins
05-09-2006, 04:42 PM
You may well have been following the mini weekender thread that's been running for the last few weeks. Date and venue for weekend in October 2007 has been set - details are on main thread. If any Kenties are interested could you please add your name to list, and post me a £50 deposit by 1/10/06 (PM me for address)

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=181520#post181520

Lady-Bob
06-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Does this mean we are not having a May weekender at Arrow Mill next year??

I've looked at the link you have given but don't quite seem to get all the info I want.

How much is the total amount for the weekend?

What dates exactly?

Where exactly?

Has anyone produced a booking form???

Nonnie
06-09-2006, 09:56 AM
It's an as well as Bob.

I've just realised how far the mini weekender venue is from the depths of Norfolk though. It's miles! I am aiming to get there before it finishes though!

JMo
06-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Yes, not to worry Lady-bob (and anyone else) - the main Monster Weekender is scheduled for the second bank holiday in May 2007 (that is Friday 25th until Monday 28th May 2007)...

We'll be sorting the booking forms etc. and posting up the associated thread/s in early November...

xxx

gary tompkins
06-09-2006, 07:50 PM
It's an as well as Bob.

I've just realised how far the mini weekender venue is from the depths of Norfolk though. It's miles! I am aiming to get there before it finishes though!

Cumbria's not exactly on my doorstep either - but surely that's the point?

It's difficult to be adventurous unless your prepared to get of your arse and ride. I get pissed off with visiting the same old local venues, so the effort getting to the Lake district will be worth it for me.

I'll take the Friday off work to ride up, and possibly the Monday as well to ride home. Multimap gives a total of 226miles and around 4 hours each way from here - glad I bought the Gel seat :D

gary tompkins
06-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Does this mean we are not having a May weekender at Arrow Mill next year??

I've looked at the link you have given but don't quite seem to get all the info I want.

How much is the total amount for the weekend?

What dates exactly?

Where exactly?

Has anyone produced a booking form???

LadyBob... and anyone else who fancies the trip

This is an alternative event - hence the 'mini' weekender tag. I thought it would be fun to organise another weekend besides the annual pilgrimage to Arrow Mill, as most members say that 12 months is a long time wait to get together. I originally hoped pick a weekend in September 2007, but the preferred hotels in our chosen area (Cumbria) are booked up, so we shifted to early October.

The date is 5th - 8th October but people can just stay for weekend

Venue is The Kings Arms at Keswick in the Lake District

Prices for the hotel are quoted from £36 per person B&B, but we may be able to wangle a bit off that if enough of us book up. I'm trying to collect £20 deposits by the end of the month to secure a booking as the hotels are filling up fast.

No booking form as it's a pretty informal weekend, and I'll just go with the numbers I have at the end of the month. There's nothing to stop people booking rooms for themselves at a later date - assuming they have any left?

We'll arrange rideout's, places to visit etc. once we how many are turning up, and may well sort this when we get to the hotel.

http://www.iknow-lakedistrict.co.uk/accommodation/5592-Kings_Arms_Hotel-Keswick.htm

Lady-Bob
11-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Much as I'd like to come along.... I'm going to have to bow out of this one. :Furious:

I could have done with something a little closer to home to be honest (Norfolk would have been nice (eh Nonnie?! :D )

Am saving for the May weekender at the moment. With 2 of us from the same household going it gets a little expensive.

I am planning on going to a few rallies in the latter part of the year so will need to save my pennies for that.

Hope you all have a great time. :heart:

gary tompkins
11-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Not sure if the mini weekender will happen at the moment. The response to our proposal of the Lake's in early October has been luke warm to say the least. It seems like where ever we pick it'll be too far for the majority to travel, or the wrong date and too expensive. At the moment I'm inclined to forget the idea and stick with just the main weekender in May :grump:

STIVH
12-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Gary don't fret?

If my Recce on Anglesey and the trip to Wales comes off (assuming theres room on the boat?) I will stick a thread up on it. Hotels and Guest houses are in abundance and at least three other folk and a couple more may well want to join. So there could even be as many as there were at Squires which was quite a crowd?

I know your heart is set on the Lakes but I can assure you that I can source some equally quiet roads around North Wales with a few stunning vista's to gawp at.

I am even willing to drive down and meet you half way if you want the company?

MilesB
18-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Cumbria's not exactly on my doorstep either - but surely that's the point?
I'll take the Friday off work to ride up, and possibly the Monday as well to ride home. Multimap gives a total of 226miles and around 4 hours each way from here - glad I bought the Gel seat :D
Gary I get 336 miles from Maidstone to Keswick (RAC routefinder) - which is a bastard long way on a comfortable bike and sharing the riding, most of it is on Motorway - so tedious and tyre flattening. Even with the Gel seat that is more than one day's comfortable ride. Might as well take an angle grinder to my tyres and buttocks :eek: :cry:

It took us 6 hours to get back from North Wales yesterday (not including stops for lunch, numb bum, etc), and that was 2up, sharing the riding on a comfortable bike! OK we could have gone a slightly quicker route, but would have strugled to do it in less than 5 hours (travel time).

I'd love to go to the Lakes (and the North of Scotland) but it is just too far for a 'Long Weekend' from here. Assuming I could do the milage in one day, I'd spend the next one recovering, then it's time to do it all again. If I had a week, then 2 days to get there, 2 days back, and 4-5 days to enjoy it.

This is why Arrow Mill is good - and why when I get there I go for a decent ride on the Saturday... to play on good, unfamiliar roads (and not go round and round in circles :banghead: )

Not sure if the mini weekender will happen at the moment. The response to our proposal of the Lake's in early October has been luke warm to say the least. It seems like where ever we pick it'll be too far for the majority to travel, or the wrong date and too expensive. At the moment I'm inclined to forget the idea and stick with just the main weekender in May

Gary, it's a good idea - but the Lakes are just too far for many of us dahn sauf - for us in Kent we do tend to go to the same places - because we have to... sea to the north, east and south, and London to the northwest, the only place for decent rideouts is to head for Sussex, or slog around the M25 to north Essex or west Surrey.

Almost makes a trip to the Ace sound enjoyable :toilet:

Miles

JMo
18-09-2006, 01:26 PM
In principle having something further north is a good idea, as (other than Scotty and Lost Again) most people from the north - Mancester and above - feel the Mill is a little too far to come (either that or they are just a bit lazy x) - but then surely that is what Tigerlilly's MAD weekender is for?

Perhaps the ideal combination would be the main (Arrow Mill) Weekender in May, and then bolster the arrangments for the MAD weekender for next year too?

I agree that there are a lot of MOC members in the south and south east who like to get involved with such events, but that is not to say those in the more northern territories should miss out on 'national' events - but of course we need to see a show of hands and their commitment to attend...

xxx

gary tompkins
18-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Miles,

I wouldn't worry - it's obviously going to be a total PITA to get anyone to agree on anything where the mini weekend is concerned, so I'm scrapping the idea. I've got better things to do than chase people into doing something they can't be arsed with. If someone else want's to organise a weekend feel free, but I'll just support the main UKMOC weekend and Tigerlily's MAD event at Squires.

I made Squires in 4 1/2 hours from here earlier this year, and the Lakes would have been within reach in another hour. But if 300 miles is too far for most to manage then I'm wasting my time. Myself and Paul Critch managed a 450 mile round trip the 1st year we went to Arrow mill for the Sunday rideout. I agree it was too much - which is why I've stayed at the Hotel since.

Cheques will be posted back to those concerned

benson
18-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Still think it's a great idea but in all likelihood it's likely to be the usual suspects and as long as it's fun that's OK - you tried Gary and that was worth it too - there is interest, let's see what happens over time. Meanwhile let's hope the weather lasts a bit longer!!!:thumbsup:

Emily
19-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Miles,

I wouldn't worry - it's obviously going to be a total PITA to get anyone to agree on anything where the mini weekend is concerned, so I'm scrapping the idea. I've got better things to do than chase people into doing something they can't be arsed with.

I'm really sorry you feel that way about it Gary, and I can assure you that the reason I have lost my enthusiasm is DEFINITELY NOT because I can't be arsed. I echo the sentiments of others, and wholeheartedly agree that (for me) it's just too far to ride for a weekend. I know there are many more adventurous chaps and chapesses out there who would think nothing of riding 600+ miles in a weekend but I'm still pretty new to bikes and know that I would struggle.

Big thanks to yourself and Benson for attempting to sort something out, I think we can all see that there is interest and enthusiasm out there, it's just the location that has put people off. Maybe some other time eh?

Emily

Lady-Bob
19-09-2006, 10:26 AM
I'd love to go to the Lakes (and the North of Scotland) but it is just too far for a 'Long Weekend' from here

Miles

Above is all you needed to say hun. Why do you think GaryT may have replied to your post in the way he did.

Less is more sometimes.

Get off your soap box and calm down hunny! :mand:

MilesB
19-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Miles
Above is all you needed to say hun. Why do you think GaryT may have replied to your post in the way he did.
Less is more sometimes.
Get off your soap box and calm down hunny! :mand:
Stressed, Moi?

Gary - I'm sorry to hear of your decision - it's only my point of view, and I didn't want to put a downer on it.

I had assumed that you were canvassing for interest from ouside of Kent, and not just those stuck in the bottom left hand corner of England :( Surely there are those in the Midlands, etc who would be more up for it?

Miles

benson
19-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Should we therefore concentrate on finding a more accessible venue - Derbyshire/Staffordshire and then trying to gather the support we would need to take it further?

I'm still really happy to try find a venue that appeals to a bigger crowd - maybe even somewhere more southerly!!! I still want to go to Blackpool but that's because I want to go on rides at the pleasure beach, drink myself (more) stupid and do karaoke.....:booze: :cool: :booze: :cool:

Gilps
19-09-2006, 06:32 PM
May I perhaps make some suggestions.
a) We run the poll again regarding locations, but this time not have Central covering right up North. I voted for the central region without properly reading what all the areas were. I thought that Central was Central England and not Central Britain, and I suspect others may have done so too. I wasn't being selfish as I live in the South West. I just figured it would be better for the majority. We should also poll for the best date. Can we do two at once?

b) Once we have a majority vote then we go with that region. If that happens to be the Lakes then so be it. Not all will attend if that is the case, but that also applies to whatever region we choose. The date will also go by majority vote.

c) Now we have a location and date. All we need is someone who is really good at organising stuff to find a suitable venue in the region on the date in question. They need to make a decision and the rest of us will have to abide by the choice. I think we all tried too hard to be considerate and consultative last time round and we ended up suffering from analysis paralysis. We need one person to take charge. We don't question the Arrow Mill location or date do we? We either can make it and turn up or we can't and give it a miss.

I for one really do appreciate the efforts that others make in trying to organise something like this. I know it's not easy and your efforts usually go unrecognised but I think it would be worth it if we could get it off the ground. Look at just how many people voted first time round. I believe that there is the enthusiasm for the event, it just needs leadership, not management by committee. GT gets my vote and support, as would anyone else daft enough to stick their head above the parapet.

benson
19-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Right then GT - off you go!!!:hail:

gary tompkins
19-09-2006, 11:27 PM
No thanks - someone else can have a go

Lady-Bob
20-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Stressed, Moi?

and not just those stuck in the bottom left hand corner of England :(

Miles

Left ? Have Cornwall and Kent swapped places then?! :eek:

Do I have to write an L and R on your mittens Miles???!! :mand:

Nonnie
20-09-2006, 10:31 AM
I guess if you're looking down it would be left.

squiffything
20-09-2006, 10:46 AM
OMG the queen of misdirection comments! she must have her wellies on today which would explain the looking down comment

GT I can understand your reaction buddy no matter what you do you ain't gonna please everybody but it grates when you try and the moans (however justified) come in. Thanx for having a go.

Lady-Bob
20-09-2006, 11:54 AM
I guess if you're looking down it would be left.

But Miles' in Maidstone .... he'll be looking up hun! :dizzy:

Nonnie
20-09-2006, 01:16 PM
OMG the queen of misdirection comments! she must have her wellies on today which would explain the looking down comment

I am soooo misunderstood. How about, right, if he was looking down from a mountain in the North of Scotland, right, facing South then yes, he would be looking down AND Kent would be on the left. Obviously, he would have to have amazing eyesight but technically, it's achievable.

benson
20-09-2006, 02:30 PM
OMG indeed..... Hijack recovered -

Right then - shall we start another thread about location and timing?

Happy to get this kicked off - indeed hell - I'll do it now...

And since the main weekender is May and the MAD weekender is June maybe we look for July, August or September!!!!!

Chaos Inc.
20-09-2006, 04:31 PM
OMG indeed..... Hijack recovered -

Right then - shall we start another thread about location and timing?

Happy to get this kicked off - indeed hell - I'll do it now...

And since the main weekender is May and the MAD weekender is June maybe we look for July, August or September!!!!!

Is this the paintballing thread or the one discussing where Kent trully begins and ends?

benson
20-09-2006, 07:00 PM
he he he - either!!!!!

MilesB
20-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Left ? Have Cornwall and Kent swapped places then?! :eek:

Do I have to write an L and R on your mittens Miles???!! :mand:
:dizzy: :worried: :o :dunce:

Oh the shame of it...

benson
21-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Right then you lot - when you've got L and R painted on your mittens/wellies/underwear get a look at the new thread about the alternative weekender and think about "where" and "whn: - we've not given up!!! We'll be after you you know!!!:roger:

Lady-Bob
21-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Is this the paintballing thread or the one discussing where Kent trully begins and ends?

Hey... don't get Milesb started off again! :D

(Having said that - Miles...... I have a post office receipt that is stamped Orpington, Kent.... I'll save it and show you! :twak: )

MilesB
21-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Hey... don't get Milesb started off again! :D

(Having said that - Miles...... I have a post office receipt that is stamped Orpington, Kent.... I'll save it and show you! :twak: )
What makes you think the Post Office knows where Kent stops :dunce:
Did'nt you get that map of KENT i sent you? :twak:

Hugs & Kisses ;)
Miles

JMo
21-09-2006, 11:30 PM
It might be inside the M25, but it's still Kent - it doesn't have a London SE postcode does it?!

xxx

Chaos Inc.
22-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Mwahahahaha!!! Chaos strikes again.

Lady-Bob
25-09-2006, 10:03 AM
It might be inside the M25, but it's still Kent - it doesn't have a London SE postcode does it?!

xxx

Strange that JMo.... It does NOT have a London SE postcode.

The Kent County Council map is just that Milesb... It's the preverbial Jobsworth Hat for KCC whereby they say.... "well, we'll only fund and serve up to here here here and here and co's the rest of Kent lies within the M25 we'll get someone else to do the work and pay for it".

ANd Miles..... your question of... "What makes you think the Post Office knows where Kent stops?"

What makes you or KCC the official Pundits? :scratch:

I mean... you got a Masters in Kent County Boundaries or something? or just a BA Hons of anoraks? :fou:

You're wind up of me has now gone to far. I no longer find this funny. And I wish you'd get of you're pedestal and find a new interest in life apart from winding me up and I'm about to start fighting back.

I will continue by PM but it won't be pretty. :Furious:

MilesB
25-09-2006, 11:42 AM
What makes you or KCC the official Pundits? :scratch:

I mean... you got a Masters in Kent County Boundaries or something? or just a BA Hons of anoraks? :fou:

You're wind up of me has now gone to far. I no longer find this funny. And I wish you'd get of you're pedestal and find a new interest in life apart from winding me up and I'm about to start fighting back.

I will continue by PM but it won't be pretty. :Furious:
WOAA - Back off :shocked:

This was never a personal attack, and I'm sorry you've taken it to heart in this way, but I just have a need to be factually accurate - it's a bloke thing - if I'm not sure about something I either say so or keep schtum.

So - in public:
I'm Sorry your upset about this, and apologise.
As far as I am concerned I will not bring up the subject again.

(Please note I replied to the Poll thread before I saw this one)

Miles

PS - See you Saturday :heart:

Chaos Inc.
25-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Sorry. Had no wish to cause a problem, merely joke.

Lady-Bob
25-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Sorry. Had no wish to cause a problem, merely joke.

Chaos.. you just happened to open your keyboard at the wrong time hun! Not your fault.

Albie
25-09-2006, 08:52 PM
I was going to post but decided against it:running: :running: :running: :running: :D