PDA

View Full Version : Travel Info To HOLLAND

small boy
03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
:scratch: Any info on travel to Arnhem,holland.Ferry/calais or harwich/hotels etc..................................Cheers,any help would be great.
David:yoparty:

desmo
03-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Done this trip many times myself.
Do either Dover - Calais, 300 miles riding to Assen from here.

Or my favorite route, Harwich - Hook of Holland, 160 miles to Assen.A cheap hotel I use in the Hook sometimes is the Hotel America, just a stones throw from the port.

Just ask if you want any more details, as I have done a lot of riding all over Holland.

Desmo.

small boy
03-09-2006, 07:00 PM
HI why the harwich route,overnight or daytime?what is the speed limit?are there speed cameras or the roads police free?Do they have like travel lodges or do i just need to find a hotel?
Cheers
Smalll boy:D

Zimbo
03-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Cheapest ferry, and most convenient to France, is Norfolk line Dover - Dunkirque.

walkingpictures
04-09-2006, 04:48 PM
HI why the harwich route,overnight or daytime?what is the speed limit?are there speed cameras or the roads police free?Do they have like travel lodges or do i just need to find a hotel?
Cheers
Smalll boy:D

If you are going to Arnhem check this out: http://www.airbornemuseum.com/ I was there last Thursday and it is well worth a visit and is in Oosterbeek. Arnhem itself isn't far from there and although the original bridge was bombed the original towers still exist, hard to believe so many people lost their lives there.

From Harwich check out Stenaline's website,the fast ferry takes about 3 and a half hours to the Hook.

The speed limit on the motorways is 130kmh and yes,there are camera's.

Not sure about the travel lodges situation but for sure you should be able to find a hotel wherever you are going,the Dutch will look after you!!

Hope that helps

Kimbo :)

nik_the_brief
05-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Good advice I can't add to it. You'll definitely have a blast - very friendly place and welcoming locals. Great beer too. Roads are dull but that's not the reason for the journey is it.

As an aside I met Colonel John Frost (the man who held the bridge) quite a few times as a young lad - what a top bloke (albeit mad as a snake). Actually he was a Major general when I met him but that just shows how young I am.

desmo
05-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi.
I find the Harwich - Hook crossing the fastest & most convenient way, less miles to ride as it cuts out the France & Belgium part of the journey if you take an alternative route, the crossing is daytime, as someone else has already said, Holland can be a bit of a boring ride.

I would advise watching your speed as they have become a lot hotter on this in recent years with on the spot fines & if you are caught going fast enough they can impound your bike & crush it!!

Yes, they do have cameras, after all we have the Dutch to thank for inventing the Gatso, they are a Dutch company.

Accomodation is the same as most of europe, they do cheap B&B's or travel lodges or fairly expensive hotels, you will have no problem.

Another word of warning, be careful if you go to Rotterdam or Amsterdam, especially Amsterdam, bike theft can be a problem try to find accomodation that offers secure parking (there are quite a few) also don't venture down any dark alleys in the red light districts as you may be mugged or worse!!
If you stick to the main tourist routes you should have no problem.

Hope this helps.
Desmo.

small boy
16-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Bee,done it,many thanks for all the advice.
David