PDA

View Full Version : Stooopid clutch question

DevilBoy
31-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Hiya All

Prepare to laugh at my lack of mechanical knowledge once again! :fou:

I came off my S4 recently, and landed heavy on the clutch, breaking off the cover and pressure plate.
All the friction plates (?) from within came out, as did the thin rod thing that runs through the middle.
In the centre of these friction plate thingies, there is a big cog, that all the fixings to the pressure plate have snapped off.

Do i sound stupid enough so far? :dunce:

Ok, so, someone on the forum is selling a Casoli slipper clutch. So can I use this to replace all my bits and bobs, using my existing plates which I assume are ok (although they look a bit dusty)?

Or am i better off looking for a whole new clutch insides from a breakers or something?

Phew. Stupidity overload. Time for sleep.
Cheers!
DB

Pedro
31-08-2006, 12:09 PM
The slipper clutch should be just fine as long as it's complete.

DevilBoy
31-08-2006, 12:15 PM
I'll probably need new friction plates though at i right?
As far as i know they have never been changed, and the bike has done 13k miles...

Pedro
31-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Yeah, new plates are a must. If the clutch has taken a wallop, and yours clearly has(!!!) they may be warped or have sucked up grit etc.

SimonH
31-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Suggest you get someone to check the condition of the clutch bearing and the shaft before you put any new parts on. None of these parts are designed to take a hefty whack on the end - so best to check up.

Good luck

SimonH

DevilBoy
01-09-2006, 12:15 PM
I was thinking of sorting out the clutch last really.
I mean, I can get the rest sorted first, and then take the bike to my local garage and ask him to put a new clutch in, or put the bits that i'll hopefully find in.

That way it'll get done proper like...