PDA

View Full Version : Current Cliches

Lady-Bob
31-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm sorry to say, it's been getting bad in England recently....

The spate of Little Britain and Katherine Tate shows etc., are bad enough with their "chav" talk... but the Jeremy Kyle show is driving me mad - now, even with the telly off, I can't help pick out the rampant cliches being used FAR TOO OFTEN

for example....

True or false?

At the end of the day

When all's said and done, right

Yeah, whatever

I love him to bits

I swear on my muvva's life

and (God help me...) Am I bovvered?

but the latest bad English making me cringe the most is -

Laters

You's lot

Sweet

and

Pukka

Can no-one, nowadays, form a good paragraph in English any more? :dunce:

Do you have an all-hated cliche?

Chaos Inc.
31-08-2006, 10:31 AM
No, I don't have no hated gangsterism.

Gilps
31-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Well that's like, you sorted, like. Yeah?

Chaos Inc.
31-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Blood!

[where?]

Mrs Soup
05-09-2006, 12:58 PM
"for sure" there's one I really hate.

Darry
05-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Oh come on! Get Real! :D

Just because something is new, why does that make it bad? If new words, or meanings to words were not created (allowed), then languages would fail to evolve. It's been going on for years and without it the 'English' language would never have come into existance.

Kids (I include myself :o ), are a perfect example in their use of texting, why use a long word when a short one will do (suffice)? providing the meaning is not lost then there is not a problem.

The French still have a problem with allowing their language to evolve, trying to stop 'foreign' words creeping into the french vocabulary. A great example being when the French (politicians) in the 90's insisted that 'CD' should not be used as it was English for Compact Disc; even though they already had Disc Compact they invented another word... 'Cedee'! Ridiculous, it never stuck and I've never seen it in print since. In the 70's the French language was seen as being the future language of Europe... I rest my case.

Finally, getting back to the evolution of language, I once heard (texting perhaps an off-shoot), that speech will eventually become so refined that you'll know what someone is going to say before they've even...

See, its already happened!

Darry.

giler
05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Leave it out you lot!

Pugi
05-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Bob's right, but she missed my favourite cliche to hate:

"To be honest".

I mean really....
When I hear this I am forced to assume that the person is lying the rest of the time since the honesty had to be emphasised this time....and every other.

Reminds of the useless words in swedish that we call (rough translation) filling words. Words that fill out sentences without contributing one single bit to the message. Just like 'uhmms and aaaahs'.

Nonnie
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
I THINK YOU'LL FIND

Nothing irritates me more than that little gem of a beginning.

It's not chav speak...just plain rude.

Darry
05-09-2006, 04:04 PM
I THINK YOU'LL FIND

Nothing irritates me more than that little gem of a beginning.

It's not chav speak...just plain rude.

I think you'll find it's not so rude when said in lowercase. :chuckle:

You just don't like being told your wrong, does that happen often? :look:

Darry.

Chaos Inc.
05-09-2006, 04:10 PM
In my day, when we still used to walk barefoot over two miles of rubble and glass (in winter), just to get to school, we would never condone the use of attrocious language evident amongst the rabble of today's youth. Either that or I am an ex-English teacher with a bug up my ar** about the way a language is being debased.

Nonnie
05-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I think you'll find it's not so rude when said in lowercase. :chuckle:

You just don't like being told your wrong, does that happen often? :look:

Darry.
Hey....what did I do to deserve this? It can never be said in lower case, it's always rude, I am never wrong, I don't know who you are, where am I?

Tigerlily
05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Well, after reading this, I'm now completely paranoid about saying the wrong thing and causing offence/annoyance :look: .... Perhaps I should become a mime artist and remain silent for the rest of my life, just in case! :chuckle:

Darry
05-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, after reading this, I'm now completely paranoid about saying the wrong thing and causing offence/annoyance :look: .... Perhaps I should become a mime artist and remain silent for the rest of my life, just in case! :chuckle:

Guys,

Perhaps we should show this thread to all the women we know... y'never know, peace on earth at last! :chuckle:

Darry.

(okay I asked for it, bring it on girls)

gjfevans
05-09-2006, 08:18 PM
I can live with language evolving and whilst I do not use some of the phrases mentioned myself I am sure that those of us of an age also had our own little gems ""ace" "the dogs b o ll o cks" etc.
But what really does wind me up is the legitive madness that makes people / business owners put stickers on Hot water taps saying "Caution this water may be hot"!!!!! of course it may its coming out a hot water tap or at the start of meetings when we have to point out fire exits and trip hazards even though we have worked in the building for years!!!!!!
Sorry about that I shall have to take a "Chill Pill" and have a "Power Nap" now

Andy Brown
06-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Not quite the same thing but the thing that makes me wonder is why is abbreviation such a long word

gjfevans
06-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Not quite the same thing but the thing that makes me wonder is why is abbreviation such a long word
If it wasn't you would not be able to use "abb."