PDA

View Full Version : Power Commander

pooh
29-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Does anybody know what the difference between the part numbers on power commanders mean or is it that obvious that it is the plugs used. Reason for asking I have been offered one for a 750/900SS and the only diference in the part number is the prefix, just wondered if I could make it fit on my 900ie.

Ian

ricky
29-08-2006, 09:15 PM
:idea: try hittin it with a hammer!!ricky

MotoNik
29-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Assuming the connector to the ECU is the same (it is) then in theory it ought to work, on the basis that the Power Coamnder unit effectively (in laymans terms) intercepts the readings from the various sensors and modulates them before they go to the ECU.

So in theory if the Power Commander is loaded with the appropriate mapping for your bike then it ought to work.

That is assuming that there is nothing bike specific contained within the Power Commander itself - someone else may know this for certain, but I have heard that the units themselves are all the same, and it's just the ECU connector bit that is bike specific.

The above could all be complete tosh though, so please don't base your decision on anything I've written! A more informed opinion may exist elsewhere, so it might be worth phoning around a few knowledgeable types and asking.

One thing is for sure, an ECU for a Monster won't work on an SS, and vice versa, but in theory (there's that word again!) a Power Commander for a Monster should be able to be loaded.

Might be worth asking PDQ in Taplow - they're the UK importers.

cheers,

Nik

sadbiker
29-08-2006, 09:59 PM
I would go with the above, what you should find is the model for specific bikes has the standard map loaded for the bike it was intended for. What you should be able to do is download the correct map from dyno's web site for your bike if standard or if you are lucky with the same cans as on yours and install it using a laptap and the coms cable provided with the PC. Otherwise it will need to be set up on a dyno with a map written for your bike and system..

So if same connectors, sort out map.