PDA

View Full Version : drag raceing question's

Scotty
29-08-2006, 05:58 PM
not proper drag raceing but 'run what ya brung' sort of affair

there just so happens to be an event up at crail at some point this winter
and theres the possability of makeing an arse of myslef , a win win situation eh, anyway last year in the dash to the thrash berto on his S4 got beaten by weeian on a 749 or was it a gsxr 600 i cant remember , anyway

what are me chances against a 749 then ?

is assume the 749 has some sort of aftermarket can and filter pc3 or whatever. Weeian is only wee - 4 stone or sumit

and i have me loverly sps cams now :) and id like to think im a bit lighter than berto

i clearly neeeeeeeeeeeeed to beat weeian or my life wont be worth living
i have no money and no time to make any so performance mods are out :(

any tips and tricks ?

manc skank
29-08-2006, 07:16 PM
messing with the rear sprocket might be a cheap way to optimise your acceleration for the 1/4 miile. dunno...

Guzzirider
29-08-2006, 07:30 PM
I've done a couple of Run Wot Ya Brungs and they are great fun!

Technique is as important as the type of bike you are running. I'm no expert but these are my tips:

Make sure your bike is pointing straight up the track so it won't veer towards the barrier.

Watch a few runs before you do yours- get familiar with the lighting sequence.

Hold the the power at where max torque is and release the clutch fast but progressively and keep your weight forward.

Tuck in quickly- head down, toes and elbows in and br ready for that first gearchange which comes up quickly.

Don't bang it against the rev limiter- that will cut out the engine for a millisecond and slow you down- change up just before.

I've never bothered doing burnouts and have always kept good grip but I have always done it on my Guzzi which is slow!

Only prep I do is taking off my panniers and folding mirrors back- have fun!

Guy

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/guzzirider_2006/SantapodGuy.jpg

bigredduke
30-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Good tip for drag racing - don't wear a long skirt and/or stilletos, they can get in the way. Also a big wig may not fit under your helmet.

dlloyduk
30-08-2006, 08:59 PM
This sounds worth a watch! Let me know when you know the date,sounds like an excuse for a trip out.

Scotty
30-08-2006, 09:22 PM
http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/

all a bit chav tastic but if i recall from last year there was the most odd selection of people there from 16 to 90 i recon

nobody wanted to reace the skyline in their golf gti's etc a couple of the lads on bike who payed up to haev a go and didnt know what the hell the light sequence was - a tad embaressing

i didn't have a go last year because if traveled all the way u othere done a rideout n about with the northen hord (inc **** meslef as i skidded on ice outside knockhill) then leded it back home , its a long way you know

Scotty
04-09-2006, 08:00 PM
provisional date is the 29th oct , so not quite mid winter

have a bit of apprehension of holding it at max torque for launch, guess i need to find some traffic lights to have a practice with

topspacemonkey
15-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi Scotty

Couldn't reply to your PM cos it's full. I know, i hate tidying up too!

Anyway, I was gonna say:

There's money involved?!! How much can fatbloke drink?!!

I'm waiting for him to reply to his thread about what days he's gonna be here.

Scotty
15-09-2006, 07:03 PM
believe it or not Terry is T total all credit to him, im sure i owe him for something though i cant remember what ~:?

topspacemonkey
15-09-2006, 07:16 PM
believe it or not Terry is T total all credit to him, im sure i owe him for something though i cant remember what ~:?

He's a self-proclaimed master-blagger so I suggest you don't look directly at his eyes for more than a second if you can't remember if you owe him! :eyepopping:

CrashMonkey
16-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Hrm, I might see if my bro will lend me his zxr750, or maybe come up with me, would be a right laugh if so :)