PDA

View Full Version : Steve B

STEVE B
25-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Hello everone,

I have been on this site a few times in the past and have found the chat informative and fun.
Can anyone give me advice on a cat eliminater pipe for my S2R 800,Will it
alter performance? Will it alter the sound level? or any other info on the subject
Thanks

Scotty
25-08-2006, 04:26 PM
uh ? hullo

is this with the standard cans or some more 'racey' ones ?

Gilps
25-08-2006, 04:59 PM
I think the cat does some silencing, so it should be louder whatever cans you fit. It should free up the engine a little too as it should help the gas flow by removing it. I took mine off but that was in conjuction with race cans, open air box and filter and Power Commander. It made a big difference.

Chappers
27-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Welcome and hope to see you at some local events :ukmoc:

Good question as I'm considering buying the cat eliminater pipe for mine as the cat is hideous but mine has the standard cans on which have been bored out, so already got a slightly louder purrr just concerned as to whether I need to upgrade the airbox, ecu etc too.

Dave G
28-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Ran mine with the link pipe and standard cans for a bit,doesnt affect performance significantly,I thought it revved a bit quicker but that could be subjective.
It sounds a lot nicer,and I could have cheerfully lived with it like that.
I've since cored out a spare set of standard cans and put an open airbox in,I got it checked by the dealer and the fuelling was about 5% away from what it should be with an open system so it seems the standard fuel map will cope with quite big changes in the system.
The link pipe on its own is still a worthwhile change,even if only for the raspier noise.

Gilps
28-08-2006, 08:09 AM
A couple of things to bear in mind. I used the Sparshack one. There is some question over the quality of the item with regard to mounting holes lining up. I'm not the only one that has had a problem in this area. My hole was slightly out of line and this led to the bracket breaking and having to be welded. However, once it is fitted it is fine. Ducati do one of their own now which looks like it has better mounting points - it has two fixing points, utilising the same ones as the cat on both sides of the engine. The Spareshack one only uses one point on the rhs. However, the Spareshack one clears the oil filter and drain plug meaning services are straightforward. I think, and I stand to be corrected, that the DP one covers the drain plug or filter and the exhaust has to come off at service time. I read somewhere that this is due to it being a "race system", so that excuses the poor design.
Chappers - your don't need to open the airbox and filter up or fit an new ECU if you are fitting the cat. The fuel mixture will almost certainly need looking at and it may be possible to tune the existing ECU. But if you really want to go the whole hog and let the engine breathe then I would fit the open airbox, hi-flow filter and a Power Commander. It's like someone fitted a whole new, bigger engine to the bike. Much more responsive and smoother.

singletrack
28-08-2006, 09:15 AM
I fitted the spareshack- (I think it is made by Marving) (type 2) cat eliminator to mine and it was quite straightforward. I didn't have the problems Gilps had.
I have termis fitted, but I think it is now a bit lumpy and I shall be happier when I have fitted a power commander to it, although it does appear to work ok without.

STEVE B
31-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Welcome and hope to see you at some local events :ukmoc:

Good question as I'm considering buying the cat eliminater pipe for mine as the cat is hideous but mine has the standard cans on which have been bored out, so already got a slightly louder purrr just concerned as to whether I need to upgrade the airbox, ecu etc too.

Due to expense and the fact i like the look of the standard cans, bored out versions sound like a good option. Where did you get yours altered.
By the way i'm in Newcastle upon tyne, so i'm a bit far from you