PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slave

Meteor
24-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know if the clutch slave for an Aprilia RSV etc is the same as the Ducati one?

I'm in the market for an upgraded (less effort) replacement and have noticed that the aprilia ones go for less money.

thanks

katana
24-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Think that luigimoto do an upgrade that improves it for £20 exchange.

Pedro
24-08-2006, 07:18 PM
The Luigi kit is a seal improvement kit not an effort reducer. For that you need a new slave from either Evolusion or MPL, these drop about 30% of the effort required

Ped

Guzzirider
24-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I now use my left hand when I am having a romantic night for one, and this has built up my wrist muscles for the clutch :D

Sparky
24-08-2006, 08:13 PM
I also wanted to make the clutch lever easier to pull in but I don't like spending money and no I'm not Scotish.....Anyhow I got thinking and it went somthing like this.....the 999 makes about 23% more torque than my M1000 but uses the same clutch so that means my clutch is over rated for the job it does.

Very interesting well at least it is to me. Some experiments are obviously in order so I tried running with 4 clutch springs instead of 6 which leads to a 33% reduction in the force required to pull the clutch lever in. Much to my surprise the clutch still worked perfectly allbeit much easier on the wrist. As much as I tried I could not get the clutch to slip even in top gear at peak torque so I tried dropping to 3 springs (50% reduction). Still it would not slip but dipping the clutch would make it scrabble for grip.

I wasn't too happy running with fewer springs so I thought about other ways of reducing spring pressure. Ideally I would like weaker springs but in the short term reducing the pre-load seemed like the way to go so after doing some measurements with the kitchen scales (don't tell the wife) I found that reducing the pre-load by 2mm reduces the effort on the leaver by around 10%. The spring bolts are M5 and M5 washers happen to 1mm thick so I ended up inserting 2 washers between the spring top hat and the fixing post costing a grand total of 38p. Obviously you need to make sure that the spring top hats don't interfere with the clutch cover but on my bike which is standard there is about 6mm clearance.

So for an outlay of 38p I ended up with a lighter clutch which to me is money well spent and so far I've done about 1500 miles like this. Anyhow here are a couple of pics, one of the clutch with 3 springs and one of me measuring the lever force with kitchen scales.

Chris

Scotty
24-08-2006, 08:22 PM
must have some Yorkshire blood in you if not Scotish

likeing the scientific measurment method there

gary tompkins
24-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I've also noticed some of the stainless spring kits use stiffer springs, and the effort needed at the lever on my 900 increased as a result. May try the washer trick to see if it helps, and I already have an uprated slave from MPL on the way :cool:

Meteor
25-08-2006, 09:09 PM
I also wanted to make the clutch lever easier to pull in but I don't like spending money and no I'm not Scotish.....

Chris

A man after my own heart. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info - I need to clean the clutch this week end to hopefully sort the squeak/whine when I pull away, so I'll fiddle about with the spring/spacer combo at the same time.

cheers

Darren

bigredduke
25-08-2006, 09:21 PM
If only I had been born to the landed gentry - one would have someone to operate my clutch for me don't y'know!

bod
27-08-2006, 06:31 PM
must have some Yorkshire blood in you if not Scotish

likeing the scientific measurment method there

Woah steady on there mate, he's thinking on his feet saving money meens more spare for petrol!:chuckle:

sjr999r
27-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Does sparky work for MI6 or something,he be a clever little bugger......or am i just thick,mmmmm yep i'll go with thick:cry:

Sparky
29-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Does sparky work for MI6 or something,he be a clever little bugger......or am i just thick,mmmmm yep i'll go with thick:cry:

I may be handy with the spanners and wire strippers but when it comes to the style/bling thing I'm a total :dunce:.....whereas bling is your thing :cool:

Chris

Shauns4
29-08-2006, 08:22 PM
I've also noticed some of the stainless spring kits use stiffer springs, and the effort needed at the lever on my 900 increased as a result. May try the washer trick to see if it helps, and I already have an uprated slave from MPL on the way :cool:

i have stainless springs and have 2 washers under each spring cup.

shaun

Meteor
04-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Well I put my clutch back together with two washers under each cup and the difference at the lever is definite improvement. Thanks Sparky for the inspiration:biggrin: .

Whilst it was apart I measured up a cup with a view to having some modified versions made to maximise this effect and still fit under the clutch cover - I'll post the results once I have them finished.

Sparky
04-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Glad I've insprired you. I'm now running with three washers and the clutch feels just about right to me now. One benefit of this approach, in addition to cost, is that the pressure plate movement is unchanged so you can still have the clutch lever set to position 3 or 4. I've heard you can have problems selecting neutral with lever position 3 or 4 with some aftermarket slave cylinders.

nambduke
05-09-2006, 04:12 PM
I also wanted to make the clutch lever easier to pull in

Thiy limp wristed youth!! Is the man or mouse?? Tisn't heavy atall....Thiy should use little finger....little finger I say!!

Mindthe...for 38p.....top mod!!!!!!

;)

nambduke
Mark

gcwebbyuk
14-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Any pics on how to do this mod?