PDA

View Full Version : Oil Warning light

tch911
24-08-2006, 08:18 AM
This morning on my way into work, just before I turned the engine off, the red oil warning light came on. I turned the engine off.

When I checked the oil level (as best you can with a Monster!) it seems quite high enough. I turned the engine back on and the light was there again when it idled. As soon as I lift the revs, the light goes out. Drop to idle and it comes back on again.

Anyone got any tips?

PS - Was a wet morning this morning so could it be a short circuit?

Headhunter
24-08-2006, 09:18 AM
I had a similar problem a while back. Turned out to be the cable connecting to the oil section (technical, I know) was faulty.

Very cheap to replace, if so.

tch911
24-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Weren't you worried about riding it?

gary tompkins
24-08-2006, 10:55 AM
May also be a faulty oil pressure switch - check for oil leaking from the body.

emily's driver
24-08-2006, 12:21 PM
This morning on my way into work, just before I turned the engine off, the red oil warning light came on. I turned the engine off.

When I checked the oil level (as best you can with a Monster!) it seems quite high enough. I turned the engine back on and the light was there again when it idled. As soon as I lift the revs, the light goes out. Drop to idle and it comes back on again.

Anyone got any tips?

PS - Was a wet morning this morning so could it be a short circuit?

Check that there is no water in the base of the top receptacle of the oil pressure switch, where the plug fits in from the wiring loom. If so, blow it out and squirt some water repellant in there such as WD40. Spray the end of the connector before replacing it too. If this still does not solve the problem then, providing there is no other obvious loss of oil or pressure elsewhere from the engine, then the only other probable cause is the switch itself. My other half had to have hers replaced due to a similar problem, but even with a new switch, if you wash the bike or ride through heavy rain, it can cause the same symptoms.

Headhunter
24-08-2006, 04:08 PM
May also be a faulty oil pressure switch - check for oil leaking from the body.

That was the problem with mine! Knew someone on here who is technically minded would come along.