PDA

View Full Version : Mini Weekender September 2007 - your vote counts!

benson
23-08-2006, 07:24 AM
:idea: Right then - in the Random Chat section for the last few days there's been a thread running about a mini weekender sometime next September - there is a good deal of enthusiasm as long as we get the venue and the date right!!! The idea would be to have 2 nights away so three days in all and for some that might mean a day of annual leave...or not...if the support isn't there for the event - this is up to us to sort out and make work!

So - your votes please ladles and jellyspoons - where and when.

It's September at the moment so with this poll I'll post wherebaouts - there have been some good suggestions thus far including
Anglesey (sp?) with a poss trip to the emerald isle
Dumfries & Galloway in Scotland
A return to Arrow Mill

BUT this may be over ambitious for some in a three day ride so we need some more ideas. Right now let's think area - and we can refine from there...

Central England in my mind is everything north of Birmingham up to Scotland - I think the rest of it speaks for itself - I know my geography is crap but I've basically just dranw lines on a map and gone from there (note to self - do not draw these lines again on your only A-Z of the country in thick black marker)

Happ voting and plotting for the event!

squiffything
23-08-2006, 07:34 AM
there you go central england it is 100% top pick need you say more?

Emily
23-08-2006, 08:05 AM
What about the Lake District? And if so does this count as Central England?

Finks!

Emily

fatbloke
23-08-2006, 08:25 AM
What about the Lake District? And if so does this count as Central England?

Finks!

Emily
only if your very lost

Bryn Smart
23-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Great for 2008, but is there anything lined up for 2007?
I might not last until 2008!!

emily's driver
23-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Benson, Cental England sounds the best compromise to me as it means that but for those living there, everyone will have to travel not dissimilar distances to get there which seems the fairest option of them all. Have you a location in mind in the area? Perhaps there is another central branch of Park
Resorts we could invade! As you know tackiness has it's own peculiar charm.

emily's driver
23-08-2006, 08:52 AM
How about Shropshire? I saw this nice looking B & B on the net and it's surprisingly not too pricey, plus there seem to be quite a few good attractions nearby. It's not exactly big enough to accomodate a big gathering, but what about something along these lines. Plus we could commandere the whole house! I rather like the village name too! Last time I was up that neck of the woods I seem to remember them serving American sized portions for breakfast as well. What do you reckon?

http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/bedandbreakfast/bedandbreakfast.cfm/searchazref/70001280TOPA

emily's driver
23-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Also found this place near Ironbridge, which is supposed to be nice. Again a bit pricey but if there were enough of us I am sure we could negotiate a discount. Plus they rather foolishly combined the hotel with the pub. A dangerous combination!

http://www.gaskellarms.co.uk/index.html

Emily
23-08-2006, 09:16 AM
What about looking at cottages and stuff rather than B&B's? They can work out quite cheap for the weekend if the price is shared between 10 people or so???

Just an idea...................

Emily

Headhunter
23-08-2006, 09:21 AM
What about looking at cottages and stuff rather than B&B's? They can work out quite cheap for the weekend if the price is shared between 10 people or so???

Just an idea...................

Emily

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Nonnie
23-08-2006, 10:01 AM
http://regenthotel.webs.bikers-engine.com/index.html

This one looks like it could combine the heady atmosphere of Blackpool with at last some fun.

Trouble is it doesn't say how many rooms are on offer.

And also, there are few members as happy with tacky as me.

STIVH
23-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Well as I suggested it in my other post I'll stick with Anglesey and a possible trip over the water, but at the end of day I'll be happy to go any where as long as I can throw a tent up or get a decent single bed with a crowd that are happy to accept my mega decibel snoreing!!!!!!

Oh and Top Farmhouse looks coooool - always wanted try a trouser press - do they work with two day old underpants?

benson
23-08-2006, 02:12 PM
I really like the idea of Blackpool but that might mean that it's just me and ED and Nonnie....:on: :on: :on: The place is in fact known to me - it's roughty toughty biker land and it's great fun!!!

Top Farm House - for the name alone. I would happily volunteer to go and check it out if a few others wanted to come too we could have our own mini weekender in 07!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cottages - yes but I think they might baulk at the idea of a group of bikers - a small and select (obviously) gang of us recently stayed in a great place in Hunstanton - **** all to do but a great place and parking opposite.

Maybe we could have a residnetial planning meeting which could involve a drive to a nice B&B, parking up and sitting drinking, chatting, planning and eating in front of a log fire!!!!

So - central England seems tops. What say we compile a list of preferrred venues then gather ourselves to narrow down the choices?? Who wants to play??? I suggest that folks who are prepared to join in the organisation PM me by the end of next week and we'll go from there...OK???

Black Ferret
23-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Agghhh I voted wrong. I picked Scotland 'cos there was no North England. I didn't realise, until I started to read the thread, that the north had been moved.

The glorious lakes, beautiful in any season.

singletrack
23-08-2006, 04:33 PM
there you go central england it is 100% top pick need you say more?
That's because Central England makes up 3/4 of the country. :dizzy:

How on earth can the Lake District be Central England, Benson?

gary tompkins
23-08-2006, 04:41 PM
I quite fancy the Lakes, Dales or Peak district with a base within a reasonable distance af any of them. I was actually hoping to get a weekender organised for Sept 2007, but with luck it would be a regular event with a follow up in 2008?

I voted for central England as it seemed the nearest option :scratch:

bigredduke
23-08-2006, 04:48 PM
2008? I may be dead by then!:eek:

benson
23-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Singletrack - please don't mock the geographically afflicted!!!:chuckle:

According to my map, with aforementioned black felt pen lines on it, then the Lake District is Central England! I am simply trying to organise what people want and not teach geography!!!!!!:banghead:

I have a growing list of willing volunteer victims/helpers to try help sort 2008 - we will wait until the poll closes then canvas peeps for suggestions of where to go...I'll then post a sticky with suggestions for the volunteers to sort innit!!!!! I would then suggest that those of us desperate for a mini weekender this year go and try out the potential venues and that way we get a mini weekender or ten this year!!!:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Gilps
23-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm all in favour of this and have voted, but why do we have to wait until 2008. Can we not organise something for next year?

benson
23-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Absolutely Gilps!!!!! Read the thread and you'll see there's a cunning plan to road test the venues THIS year!!!:mand: :mand:

I can do the final weekend in Setember and then on - until then I know I'm somewhat tied up and not necessarily in a good way!!!

singletrack
23-08-2006, 08:32 PM
It's still 2006:D

As Gilps said are we planning to do a mini weekender next year (2007)?

gary tompkins
23-08-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm all for organising something for september 2007 - even if it turns out to be a planning trip for a bigger 2008 bash? I think the confusion stems from my original 'mini weekender' post where I refered to a 2008 date. This was a typo on my part as I actually meant to plan for 2007.

Glad to see a lot are already up for this :)

benson
24-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Unequivocal support for this then event!

Yes - let's have a practice run ths year - 2006 - to try out suggestions and generally get our asses in gear...

Yes let's have a mini weekender "proper" in 2007 and hopefully again year after year...

I would propose that we have a sort of weekender THIS year the weekend of the 23rd and 24th September- any good? That's the first weekend I have that's not got work in it!

Gilps
24-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Absolutely Gilps!!!!! Read the thread and you'll see there's a cunning plan to road test the venues THIS year!!!:mand: :mand:

I think my confusion has come from the thread title where we are asked to give our opinion for a mini-weekender in September 2008. That's 2 years away. I now understand fully and support all options and think everything suggested so far is a good idea. This is me off to get me coat.:running:

benson
24-08-2006, 08:25 AM
:banghead: And me off to get a calendar.....:banghead:

STIVH
24-08-2006, 09:26 AM
23rd - 24th September 2006 pencilled in.

Now where is it gonna be?

I fore see another thread starting.........!

gary tompkins
24-08-2006, 10:52 AM
September 2006 is way too soon for me & I have 2 events to go to already that month.

If you want to do something this year feel free - but I'll still be concentrating on a mini weekender in 2007? Bear in mind there's just 4 weeks to organise something in time for 23rd September, which is a bit of a tall order TBH.

benson
24-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Yes I know GT and you're right in terms of the larger groups but the idea is for some of us to go and try some of the places that we might want to go next year!!!! Even if it was a ride round to a few in a certain location we could then let folks know which places were nice/minging and which places would put up with a group of bikers!!!:D

STIVH
24-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Okay I'm off to Anglesey, Anyone else coming?
As I am driving there to do a delivery tomorrow(Friday) I will drop into the ferry and have a word if I get time. Also grab a local directory for some Hotel and Camp sites.

I am happy to organise/help out on a Welsh weekend in Anglesey and sort out a couple of ride routes including a day trip to the emerald isle if it's within my meagre budget?

If necessary I'll start a new thread next week sometime when I have got some info together.

GT ....What have you started?

benson
24-08-2006, 08:11 PM
I think that sounds great - when do you have in mind???

gary tompkins
24-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Okay I'm off to Anglesey, Anyone else coming?
As I am driving there to do a delivery tomorrow(Friday) I will drop into the ferry and have a word if I get time. Also grab a local directory for some Hotel and Camp sites.

I am happy to organise/help out on a Welsh weekend in Anglesey and sort out a couple of ride routes including a day trip to the emerald isle if it's within my meagre budget?

If necessary I'll start a new thread next week sometime when I have got some info together.

GT ....What have you started?

Go for it mate! :thumbsup:

Just hope the weather is better than it is at present :thumbsdown:

Anyone local fancy checking out the Lake district for us? ;)

Guzzirider
24-08-2006, 08:25 PM
I don't mind checking out any venues in the Lakes- tell me where to go and I'll visit- won't be 'till October though 'cos I have 4 rallies in a row over the next 4 weekends- V Twin, Storming The Castle, Guzzi camping weekend then C*u*m*'N'Dribble Int Ribble.

benson
24-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Hey GT - I've been on the Tourist Board website this evening looking at big self catering cottages in the lakes - which might be a cheaper than hotels. I've also e mailed half a dozen or so b&bs and hotels to get proces and to ask if they'll have us!

I think the lakes would be a good area to explore - fantastic scenery and great roads of varying sorts so we could cater for everyone's preferred riding/drinking style!

Also think it might be worth checking out holiday parks...

I have a few days off next week and am planning a trip to see my sister on the Wirral so will come home via some adventures in wales...All in the name of monster duty!!!

benson
24-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Haven Holidays
Park Resorts

Two big companies that do mobile home/caravan holidays - cheesy entertainment thrown in...

Somehow I think we might be looking at B&Bs!!!

STIVH
24-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Okay so there are four interested in Wales that's three of you out there at least so I will pencil in the 23rd - 24th for a "MAD WELSH RECCE" on Anglesey if anyone wants to join in let me know.

It might be cold it might be wet and windy and then it could be a glorious Autumn weekend full of warm sun and clear roads?

Anyone interested just pm me and I'll put a new thread up over the weekend or early next week with your tags attached - also is it a hotel/camping or static caravan site jobby?

I am happy and would prefere to risk the Canvas but am easy either way.

benson
25-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I've been in touch with about 6 hotels in the Lakes - and those lovely people at The Kings Arms in Keswick have just got back to me - the others were not terribly helpful.

The Kings Arms could offer us the whole hotel - 13 rooms - for any weekend in September in 2007 apart from the 23/24 which is already fully booked. It looks very sweet - small inn in the village centre and easy for most of the area.

6 X Standard Rooms = £40 B&B £52 DB&B
6 X Superior Rooms = £43 B&B £55 DB&B
1 X Four Poster Room = £49 B&B £61 DB&B

Total cost for the whole of hotel for 26 adults for 2 nights =
£2188 B&B £2812 DB&B

Now that's a pretty good price I reckon and if we were to fill all 26 rooms - (yes there would be sharing and twin rooms....) that would be about £120 each for dinner, bed and breakfast for the two nights!!!

I'll post a link so you can have a look!!! I think it couold be worth a look by an advance party....

benson
25-08-2006, 05:46 PM
http://www.lakedistricthotels.net/kingsarms/

Methinks it looks rather nice!!!
Emily - you up for a reccie later in the month???
ANyone else???

benson
25-08-2006, 07:01 PM
And this is the other place - well known to some other bike groups and reasonably proced...

http://www.mariners-inn.co.uk/tarrif.htm

Going home soon so will stop lurking on web sites and start looking forward to the weekend!!!

gary tompkins
25-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Benson,

Here's a link to a hotel posted by STIVH. I think it's been used by the Ducati Up North Group in the past so may be worth a call? It looks more expensive than the ones you quoted, unless we can negotiate a block booking price. The £120 per person for DB&B at the Kings Arms sounds pretty good - provided we can get 26 to sign up for it.
http://www.signpost.co.uk/lake_district_and_cumbria/inn_on_the_lake_hotel_ullswater_cumbria.htm

benson
25-08-2006, 08:02 PM
I've e mailed them GT to see what they comeup with - I think the Kings Arms would give us those rates even if we didn't fill the place - and at that price it gets my vote...

ANYWAY - I'll wait until the poll closes and then we can go from there...

queen_gpants
26-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Pencil me in for this, I'm having the week 18/9 off to do decorating and cleaning before I put the flat up for sale so I will be free for the weekend :)

benson
26-08-2006, 08:28 AM
http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/fawcettmillfields/

Try this for size too - £1200 the weekend and it sleeps 26 - now by my reckoning even if there was only 10 or 12 of us that's a bargain and it looks great - and they can arrange catering??? And they've got a sauna!!!

Mand
26-08-2006, 10:04 AM
I can't do this year but I am sure I can manage next year....!

queen_gpants
26-08-2006, 12:16 PM
I don't really fancy the idea of self catering, if its a large group of people the owners may impose some sort of deposit against damages and cleaning (sorry but being an inventory clerk I know all too well the problems of rented accommodation) and you'll have all sorts of arguments about who's cooking, washing up etc.

I think a B&B/hotel is a much better idea, you don't have to worry about anything then!

benson
27-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Right then - have to say that I tend to agree there Celeste...

In that case the Kings Arms looks good to me....

benson
27-08-2006, 02:34 PM
There was another e mail from the Kings Arms when I got home - Yes the rates would be the same if we were just to have some of the rooms rather than all of the hotel. In the hotel they have 6 twin rooms and 7 doubles (including 1 four poster room).

:ukm:

gary tompkins
27-08-2006, 10:12 PM
I note we now have 37 voters in total - and a wopping 20 for central England.

Any chance we can persuade any more to vote?

Or maybe a few that voted for other areas would be happy to head to the Lakes?

Gadget
28-08-2006, 09:30 AM
I voted for the SW but the NW suits just as well.

Scotty
28-08-2006, 09:58 AM
i voted for a random location i have no intention of going to , im not sure why ?

benson
29-08-2006, 09:51 AM
39 votes so far - and it's a central thing so it seems...:ukm:

So - I suppose the next poll will show counties!!

I'm in favour of Derbyshire - that way we could do the Matlock bath Sunday meet and eat our body weight in Bakewell Tart :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Gilps
29-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Derbyshire is good for me. That's my old stomping ground so I would love to revisit some of my old haunts. A pint in the Devonshire Arms at Beeley would be nice. Do they do B&B at Chatsworth House?

benson
29-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Good idea - would my National Trust card get us all in do you reckon?:thumbsup:

A pint of Robinson's bitter would really do me some good - maybe a slight detour is called for over the weekend:D

scrumpster
29-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Well I'd be up for it, but it would depend on where. I voted South West cos it's a beautiful part of country with loads of accomodation available in various guises!! New Zealand, now there's a place with fantastic biking roads, but I guess thats a bit too far south??? :look:

benson
29-08-2006, 08:24 PM
hey hey you world traveller you!!! How was the trip???

I'm heading to DG20 tomorrow all being well cos I've got the day off and I fancy a ride - are you about???

scrumpster
29-08-2006, 08:29 PM
hey hey you world traveller you!!! How was the trip???

I'm heading to DG20 tomorrow all being well cos I've got the day off and I fancy a ride - are you about???

I'm at work, but if you fancy meeting me for lunch in Cosham you are welcome!! Not the most stimulating of places!! I'm off to bed now as shattered after a full day back at work!!

Trip was amazing and the bike I hired an SV650 was great and I managed to keep up with the boys!!!

benson
29-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Brilliant- I'll txt you to see if we can work something out!!!
xxx

Meanwhile - come on peeps - vote if you haven't!!!

ricky
29-08-2006, 09:13 PM
what were you saying bout comin over "to MY island" (like the mad irish fella in braveheart said) as Ruth will tell ya roads are absolutley class over here with far less speed cameras plus great bars :drunk: since all the weekender meets are a long (but worth it) trek anything north of birmingham would be great and hopefully i could get the fellow ulster men off there arses and come 2!! :drunk: Ricky

STIVH
29-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Ricky unless it becomes an obviously hopeless task I may take a day ferry trip over to your neck of the woods on the 23rd or 24th September when a have a scout around Anglesey. I was pretty impressed with the hords of bikes coming off the ferry on their way to the Anglesy Bike show this last weekend.

However I have noticed cental England looks like a dead cert for next year so I might just be doing it for the hell of it - no one else has pm'd their interest to date so any company your side of the water would be heartily received if I do the trip?

ricky
29-08-2006, 09:42 PM
good timing im off work then!! :drunk: if you need somewhere to stay the ricky batchelor palace of love has a couple of spare rooms!

benson
02-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Right then - seems Central England is the winner - now where to go???

Derbyshire?
The Lakes?
Yorkshire?

Seems the enthusiasm is there - hope so anyway or else it's just me!!!

Looking at the weekend of the 21/22/23 September - what say you all?

:woot: :yoparty:

queen_gpants
02-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Ooooh so many choices, they all sound nice and have such lovely roads, The Lakes would be nice though.

Dates look fine, its in my diary! :thumbsup:

Gadget
02-09-2006, 04:52 PM
The Lakes.:thumbsup:

benson
02-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Yup - the Lakes would suit me too - and the hotel that gave me the original good feedback - the Kings Head - would let us take over the whole place - even if it means sharing!!!!!

benson
02-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Provisional dates - 21,22 and 23 September - Kings Head sadly now all booked up but we'll find somewhere!!!!

STIVH
02-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Well I am gonnna do Anglesey with an Irish visit thrown in to say hello to ricky and there is another thread on this in Random Chat so if you are freeeeeee on the 22/23 and 24 September THIS MONTH then let me know.

Looks like I'll have to book a ferry trip this week to guarantee a place on the boat over that weekend though!?

gary tompkins
02-09-2006, 11:02 PM
I vote for the Lakes and the weekend of 21st-23rd sept 2007 is fine by me :yoparty:

benson
03-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Right then - hotels in the lakes = expensive & B&Bs too small...(so far).

SO - and I say this bravely without fear of being scorned (I'm used to it by now). What about Blackpool or the coast a bit further north? Lakes within striking distance and entertainment galore (I'm seeing glitter balls and cheap beer - need I say more???)

I am still invesitgating the Lakes as this seems an ideal place but I think the prices may well be prohibitive.

The other option is a huge travel lodge somewhere!!!

benson
03-09-2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.activereservations.com/hotel/en/hotels-in-stannesonsea/ah-231699.html

Check this out (said in a disco styleeee.)

£44 per night single including brekkie and £92 a night twin/double.

There are local go karts, pitch and putt (ok...) and 10km away clay pigeon shooting.

St Annes is about an hour from the lakes and about 2km away from tacky capital of the world Blackpool - and they have parking for 100 cars on site which is good...

They're a big hotel with good facilities (a game of squash anyone?) and they have of course a bar and a restaurant that looks reasonable - think it might be a hlaf way house as the lakes are easily accessible and if people want to veg out rather than blatt there's the opprtunity to do just that too...

Comments???

STIVH
03-09-2006, 10:48 PM
As a very regular visitor to Blackpool, Lytham and St Annes thanks to my customer base can I just mention that September is the most busy month with the Lights and that the whole area there is very strictly enforced with parking and the 30mph limits. The traffic can be horrendous getting into Blackpool and surrounding roads if that's what people wanna do?

Also the lakes are only really reached quickly and easily with a fairly miserable blast up the motorway.

Why not look for somewhere around Morcambe or Lancaster which allows quicker access to the Lakes, Hartside Cafe or Devils Bridge.

benson
04-09-2006, 06:26 AM
Thanks for that Stivh - any suggestions?

gary tompkins
04-09-2006, 11:55 AM
I agree that the Blackpool idea isn't ideal given the restrictions and poor access to Lakes. Would prefer a location that gives us better options - there must be a hotel in the area within our budget?

I know you said the Kings arms was booked up for that weekend - but is it worth asking about the following Saturday & Sunday?

benson
04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Right then - been back onto the Kings Arms -
http://www.lakedistricthotels.net/kingsarms/index.htm

and they could offer us the three nights 14 - 15 - 16 September

OR

5 -6 -7 October.

They have 9 doubles and 4 twins - so some sharing would be essential!!!

I'm also looking into some places in Lancaster.

If we want to go to the Kings then I think we'd have to move fairly quickly because they are already getting more block bookings (heaps of Germans apparently!!!)

Nonnie
04-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Oh please please please make it the October dates, 5th, 6th and 7th! please, it's my birthday and Mands! Please!

Nonnie
04-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Rach, did you know the Kings Arms has it's own nightclub??? Oh of course you did! That's my girl.

benson
04-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Aha my hearties - I had already spied that little luxury!!! So for those of us who take our dancing seriously we can stay in and drink and dance and for those of a hardy constitution they can go out and hike!!!!:dizzy:

Reckon the Kings Arms is our place and our weekend is the first one in October - that way we have a pay day after the summer holidays, we get to celebrate Nonnie's bidet and we get to dance as well!!!!!

So - what are we waiting for??? Keswick here we come!!!!!

Emily
04-09-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't really mind which dates but would personally prefer the Lakes over Blackpool. Blackpool smells of girlie (or blokey!!!) weekend away with lots of booze, cheese and glitter balls, but doesn't conjure up thoughts of a weekend of biking.

Mmmm? Or have I got this all wrong? :dizzy:

Is the idea just to ride to a location, park up, drink lots, eat lots and then get back on the bike on Sunday night to go home? If this is the case then it doesn't really matter where we go, i.e. the location doesn't have to be picturesque and the surrounding areas don't need to have nice roads etc.

Do we need another poll with a few towns/areas and then go from there?

Lakes
Blackpool
Cotswolds
Derbyshire

Feck me!!! Just had a look on the map for places to go and realised that the lakes is at the other end of the world :cry:

I think I'm just confusing things here guys. I tell you what, you lot decide and I'll just turn up :chuckle:

Emily

gary tompkins
04-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Benson,

If you reckon the Kings Arms is booking fast then we need to get deposits in ASAP. I was originally planning on setting a cut off date for April 2007, but it looks like that'll be way too late to secure rooms.

Can I suggest we start a list of those ready to commit to the 1st weekend of October 2007, and ask that a £50 deposit is paid to me by the 1/10/06. We'll arrange collection of the balence next year, and arrange a booking at Kings arms based on the final numbers we have by 1st October.

Can you paste and add your names to the following list ASAP...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

1. GT

benson
04-09-2006, 09:22 PM
1. GT
2. Benson

Gadget
04-09-2006, 10:00 PM
1. GT
2. Benson
1. GT
2. Benson
3. GaryN

benson
04-09-2006, 10:03 PM
well done that man!!!

Nonnie
05-09-2006, 05:25 AM
1. GT
2. Benson
3. GaryN
4. Emily's Driver
5. Nonnie

gary tompkins
05-09-2006, 12:04 PM
1. GT
2. Benson
3. GaryN
4. Emily's Driver
5. Nonnie

Keep the names coming - and PM me for an address to post deposits to.

I'll pay them into a holding account, and post a final cheque off to the Kings arms in when all the deposits are in in October.

CUT OFF FOR DEPOSITS IS 1/10/06

Any deposits not in by then won't get a room booked

gary tompkins
05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Quick update...

Spoke to a very nice lady at the Kings Arms today. They have lots of rooms available for the first weekend in October 2007, but we still need to get in fast to reserve ours. They actually only need £20 per person deposit, but we could leave it at £50 as it leaves less to find later on?

Otherwise just send the minimum of £20 per person if it's all you can manage at the moment.

Have a look at the hotels website to see what's on offer, and get your cheques off to me ASAP :D

http://www.iknow-lakedistrict.co.uk/accommodation/5592-Kings_Arms_Hotel-Keswick.htm

emily's driver
05-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Dont forget to book Nonnie in under her married name: Mrs Emily's Driver of course !!

ricky
06-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Christ you lot are keen bookin already!! I dont know what ill be at october next year, mind you i dont know what ill be doing after november this year as it is!! :confused: Personally i think its a wee bit mad bookin this early as there will certainly be changes in some peoples lives between now and then!!!:eek: i'd love to go and put my name down but i dont want to commit to something that i dont know for certain ill be goin too! This is just my opinon and not to be taken as an insult but does anyone else agree?? :confused: i know its 'only' 20 quid you could lose but still......

gary tompkins
06-09-2006, 08:29 PM
No choice Ricky - the hotels in the area are already filling up for next year. In fact the Kings Arms is already fully booked for the date in September we originally wanted :grump:

The lakes is a very popular tourist spot. Many hotels get booked up every year by coach companies that can fill a hotel with a single booking.

Leave booking until next year if you like - but chances are you'll get sod all

gary tompkins
06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Prices for Kings arms are as follows...

£38 per person B&B or £52 DB&B (standard doubles and twins)

£41 per person B&B or £55 DB&B(superior doubles & twins)

£47 per person B&B or £61 DB&B (four poster)

No singles available but £15 sucharge for single occupancy

There are 4 twin rooms, 8 doubles and just 1 four poster. The superior twins & singles have more space or better views.

They do a 4 night Dinner Bed & Breakfast break called the Fairfield for £170 per person, but as we'll only stay for a maximum of 3 nights we can only get the normal B&B rates. The rates quoted to me for B&B are different (cheaper)than the ones Benson got - but I'll double check this.

A 3 night B&B Friday - Sunday stay will cost you £114 (economy) or £123 (upgraded) and you opt for evening meals in the resturant as required.

Come on guys & gals - get your names on the list and £20 in the post :mand:

List so far....

1. GT
2. Benson
3. GaryN
4. Emily's Driver
5. Nonnie

STIVH
06-09-2006, 10:36 PM
GT just as an aside to this is there any chance of finding out if there is a campsite nearby for those of us that have a preference for the fresh air and for whom the thought of extra wads of cash just for our single occupancy really **** us off. Also no offence meant but I don't know anyone here well enough yet to end up sleeping in a double bed with them??????

It may be useful for those that decide later in the year (next) to attend?

Hope this link works as a starter?

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results3.asp?search=Keswick&by=town

gary tompkins
07-09-2006, 03:35 PM
I think Benson found a few campsites near the Kings Arms?

I'll look into it for you. We'll all be sharing with someone at the hotel - just as most of us do at Arrow Mill where single rooms are in short supply. I hear what you are saying - but surely a twin room would be acceptable for most to share?

Nonnie
07-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Camping in October?!

Actually camping anytime, but October? Are you sure? You must be Northern and hardy!

benson
07-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Right then peeps - the voice of reason (no comment) doth deliever a message here.....

October - dark by 7.

Lakes 350/400 miles away.

Weather lieely to be deteriorating.

I have no doubt that the intentions of many are good.... but so far only a few are looking likely - ought we to be looking for somewhere more central to more peeps given that this is only a weekend? I know Arrow Mill is a hell of a schelp for some but the Friday - Monday timescale makes that more likely...

Should we be looking at somewhere more in the middle - like Derbyshire/Staffordshire - Matlock area for example??? Just an idea.....

Opinions???

gary tompkins
07-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Is anyone actually coming from 400 miles away?

I checked on multimap and its around 230 miles from Kent, and I'm guessing I'll be one of the furthest out - although Nonnie & Rod could be further? It'll be about 5-6 hours ride for me so if I left at 9am I should be in the Lakes by mid afternoon.

You could move the location - but then you'll have to sort a different hotel & possibly move the date again. There's been a distinct lack of interest since I asked for £20 deposits, despite over 20 voting for a central location. I know it's over 12 months away but unless we organise & book something ASAP we'll never get the mini weekender off the ground.

TBH I'm about ready to scrub the idea and return the one cheque I've received so far (thanks GaryN)

So much for the "go for it" response I got a few weeks ago :mad:

benson
07-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Have to agree with you GT - I think if we want to make a go of it we should perhaps reconsider the location - is anyone else out there or:scratch: is it just us???

scrumpster
07-09-2006, 09:44 PM
It's very difficult for the likes of me to book anything in advance I am afraid, largely due to the fact that I am a single mum and get no support as such from the boys dad, otherwise I would jump at the chance, believe you me! This isn't a sob story as I don't do those, just an explanation!

singletrack
07-09-2006, 10:08 PM
I voted for a central location - but I don't really think Keswick can be considered central.

I know I live in the *rse end of nowhere but it is still 325 miles and something like 5-6 hours (+) journey for me. That's a long way. :yoparty:

As it happens I can't make the weekend you have suggested anyway. I hope you manage to sort something out.

STIVH
08-09-2006, 12:22 AM
GT/Benson Is it to be a full blown rally weekend or justa get together?

I thought this was to be a mini weekender? Similiar to the Squires Doo...? With options for others to arrange where ever? Also allowing local folk to ride in and join for the day or two?

I am still gonna try for my weekend Recce in Anglesey and Ireland if I can sort it with Rick and the Ferry Company with suitable times etc. I shall then post the details for anyone who wants to get together one weekend in the next couple of years!!!! "07/08"

Nonnie - Camping aint so bad in October as long as it ain't peeing it down the whole weekend and it's not as if I'll get cold as any way I can always sleep in my biking gear in my thermals in the sleeping bag under the Canvas with my primus stove burning away and stay snug and warm all night.

Alchohol also has a wonderful numbing effect aswell?

GT if you want a deposit of sorts I'll send it but don't book me a hotel as I really would prefer to be outdoors as I'll feel like I've been somewhere then, sadly a long weekend in an hotel just ain't my scene on a motorbike.

benson
08-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Hear exactly what you're saying Scrumps - but then again would love to have you with us all!!!:yoparty:

I think the idea is grand - a get together is ideal, that's what I'd like to be part of - but reconsider the date and location?:scratch:

Nonnie - your birthday has to be celebrated somewhere with a glitter ball too.....:look:

Gilps
08-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Here's my view FWIW. I'm up for a weekender, but preferably somewhere a bit more central. Derbyshire sounds good to me. Also I think that once you get past mid-September the weather turns crap. For the past few years the decent weather has always been in June and the first two weeks of September. Anything decent in between, like this year, is a bonus. Another 2 weeks and my Monnie will go to bed for Winter.
I figured a MINI-weekender would be turn up Sat morning (maybe Fri evening for those with further to travel), stay Saturday night, do something Sunday morning and depart for home. So only one nights stay for most, to keep the cost down.

Gilps
08-09-2006, 07:47 AM
I've just re-read the orignial post on this thread. Central England is classed as anything North of Birmingham so the lakes are a valid suggestion (even though I would class them as North-West England), and Benson's original idea was for 3 days not 2 and that is what we all discussed originally, so please ignore my previous post as my bottom is doing all the talking for me today.
I'm just off to wipe my mouth now.

benson
08-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Gilps I think you have a point/pint (depending on the hour of the evening!)

Yes we sad anything north of Brum was central but the lakes seem to be a bridge/hundred miles too far for a lot of people.

I too think Derbyshire is a good option and, on reflection, I think earlier in September rather than later - our original weekend was 23-25th or thereabouts and I think that's the latest realistically that we could lure people out to play. Also, the fact that the lake district is such a popular destination means hotel costs can be prohibitive and that early booking is a must...

Therefore should we look for something

a) Derbyshire/Staffordshire (secret desire to go to Alton Towers...)
b) 23-25 September or before, but after the school term re-starts

I think our ideas were good but perhaps a little too ambitious.

Perhaps a separate poll with counties and dates too...

Opinions?

Gilps
08-09-2006, 05:43 PM
I agree totally with both A and B. What about the weekend immediately after the kids go back to school? Costs should have dropped sufficiently to keep it cheap. Both counties work for me. Alton Towers would be a riot. I fancy taking my bike round the corkscrew track ( is it still there, it's been a while).

queen_gpants
08-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Hmmmm I'm off the forum a few days and everythings changed!

I'm still up for the lakes, got my cheque book out ready to send GaryT my deposit.

I'm happy with anywhere but was kinda looking forward to the lakes :(

Anyway whatever we decide, dates, location, please put me and Mr QGP down as a definite.

bigredduke
09-09-2006, 07:55 AM
I think that October is definitely too late in the year for a weekender, the nights come early and it tends to be chilly.

Although it is a bit further north (but still quite central especially for the Scottish contingent) , what about York? It's a lovely city with great pubs and restaurants, loads of hotels and B&B's. There is even a travelodge very close to the centre of the city. The Novotel is also good with lots of secure parking. It also has a (small) indoor swimming pool.

There are evening cruises on the river through the middle of the city with food and music.

As far as rideouts are concerned, to the west there are the Yorkshire Dales (Herriot country), to the east there are the North Yorkshire Moors, Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay. There is a brewery in York that offers tours and the Theakstons and Black Sheep breweries at Masham to the north.

Instead of September, how about early July before the schools break up? The days are much longer and the weather should be good.

Shoot me down in flames if you like but Yorks seems pretty perfect to me!

There are also excellent rail connections for anyone who doesn't want to ride there (can you get a monster on a train?)

benson
09-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Hell let's have a monthly adventure!!! :D :D :D

York is indeed a lovely city - and yes the roads are fab - and why not - July to York and September to Derbyshire!!! Work permitting I'd be there...:woot:

Gilps
09-09-2006, 11:52 AM
OOOh, too many options. My brain just broke.

STIVH
09-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Pssssssssttt.......anyone wanna try Anglesey and Ireland..........lets make it an adventure! How many Irish members do we have over there?

York has my vote and yes why not have a few venues next year - How many folk does it take to call/class it as a mini weekender?