PDA

View Full Version : 916 Clutch Plates..

Mr C
22-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Anyone here know any reason why these will not fit in my S4 before i buy them.
Cheers

Pedro
22-08-2006, 08:10 PM
No prob unless they're from an R model with a slipper clutch

claicerrig
22-08-2006, 09:00 PM
They fit too pedro

I have slipper clutch with standard plates :flamed:

Shandy
22-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Sorry to poke my nose in but as usual i have a dumb question :fou: :fou: and as such feel free to take the pi55, whats the difference between a standard and slipper clutch and what difference does it make to riding the bike???

Cheers,

Shandy

Scotty
22-08-2006, 09:20 PM
smoother corner entry, ace for raceing, bad for plate life (and in my opinion bad for pulling away from a standstill)

Pedro
22-08-2006, 09:28 PM
A slipper clutch disengages on the overrun - a ramp system lifts the plates so the rear wheel doesn't lock

Ped

claicerrig
22-08-2006, 09:29 PM
smoother corner entry, ace for raceing, bad for plate life (and in my opinion bad for pulling away from a standstill)

Only with the sintered plates scotty

i have never had a problem with the standard ones

gjfevans
23-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I have bought a slipper clutch but have not yet got round to fitting it. Do I really need one of those special tools to hold the clutch or is there someother safe way of undoing the central nut?

CK & AK
23-08-2006, 08:49 PM
std slipper as fitted to current models IS pants for quick starts after a while, I guess they just were not designed for race starts:D

AK, spending time adjusting plates each meeting or so

<note to self> : must save up for full sigma race slipper for the 620 :biggrin:

Shandy
23-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I have bought a slipper clutch but have not yet got round to fitting it. Do I really need one of those special tools to hold the clutch or is there someother safe way of undoing the central nut?

They haynes book of lies manual has something about two bent bits of metal. But on past experience of haynes getting things wrong i'd see if i could lend one off someone, this is what i'll be trying to do over winter on my 916. Stick a post up someone near by to you may have one you could borrow from them.

I'd be interested to know how easy it is to do though.

Cheers,

Shandy

Scotty
23-08-2006, 09:07 PM
very easy with the right tools

ive one you can borrow if you want

crust
23-08-2006, 09:14 PM
They haynes book of lies manual has something about two bent bits of metal. But on past experience of haynes getting things wrong i'd see if i could lend one off someone, this is what i'll be trying to do over winter on my 916. Stick a post up someone near by to you may have one you could borrow from them.

I'd be interested to know how easy it is to do though.

Cheers,

Shandy

The clutch nut has to be done up very tight and personaly I'm not sure their scissor thing would work.

It is possible to make a clutch holding tool by welding/bolting 1 old drive and 1 driven clutch plate together and bolting on a bit of metal to make a handle.

I've got an extended mole grip clutch holding tool that does the job that you could borrow if you want, I'm in Reading, contact me when you need it and we could arrange something.

:)Crust

Shandy
23-08-2006, 09:20 PM
I've got an extended mole grip clutch holding tool that does the job that you could borrow if you want, I'm in Reading, contact me when you need it and we could arrange something.

Cheers Crust much appreciated :thumbsup: I work in Sonning Common just outside Reading so even better (well if i'm still there cos i'm job hunting at the mo but even then Swindonsville aint that far away). It wouldn't be till deepest darkest winter anyway.

Many Thanks,

Shandy

gjfevans
24-08-2006, 08:16 PM
very easy with the right tools

ive one you can borrow if you want

I wont get around to doing it for a while, but I will take you up on the offer in the future if thats OK

Cheers:thumbsup:

Scotty
24-08-2006, 08:24 PM
infact i even have a torque wrench and some thread lock to do the job propper just give us a shout when your ready

gjfevans
24-08-2006, 08:49 PM
infact i even have a torque wrench and some thread lock to do the job propper just give us a shout when your ready
I most certainly will:)

CK & AK
24-08-2006, 08:55 PM
The clutch nut has to be done up very tight and personaly I'm not sure their scissor thing would work.

torqued :)

Scotty
24-08-2006, 09:14 PM
typoed :dunce:

crust
24-08-2006, 09:28 PM
:(

:) Crust