PDA

View Full Version : Ferry - Tie downs etc

Headhunter
21-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Am going over to the south of ricky neck of the woods in a couple of weeks' time to take in some of the roads on the west country and just wanted to pick your brains as it were about the ferry bit.

As I have never had to take my bike on board a ship before what advice can anyone give me about making sure the bike is ok whilst ridin' the waves.

As I'm going with ricky ferries, I'm guessing my own tie downs are a must, but also thought about using some heavy duty laccy bands to keep the front brake on and maybe tieing the stand to the front wheel to stop the stand flicking back up???

Am I being too paranoid here or are ferry companies quite good at protecting our pride and joys? Something which I very much doubt

sadbiker
21-08-2006, 10:12 PM
I used Brittany (Porrtsmouth) on my last trip, 1st time with them and thought they were a shambles, in the end we just left the bikes there and crossed our fingers.

Before that always used P&O from Portsmouth and over the years they improved no end, with cushions and straps to tie the bikes down. I would say take some straps, use your gloves to cusion the seat, maybe take a couple of tie wraps to hold the brake on.

Guzzirider
21-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I did the Fishguard to Rosslare crosssing in June with Stena, and the sailors ratchet the bikes down for you with their own straps. On the way back, a freak wave hit the boat and 3 bikes fell over even though they were well strapped down. My mate's old Guzzi Le Mans left a huge dent in the metal wall! Stena are paying for the damage as you can imagine.

On other sailings it can be a DIY job where you are given some greasy old ropes so I tend to take my own ratchet straps just in case. I also put it in gear, and tape the front brake lever to the handlebar.

If you have an alarm, remember to set it to ferry mode.

Guy

gary tompkins
21-08-2006, 11:31 PM
They sometimes provide wheel chocks and padding - but not all the time. Make sure you protect the bike from marking by tie downs, and I always leave bike in gear to stop it rolling.

Make sure they dont over do it with the ratchet straps, as most are designed to restrain lorries and exert a lot of force. I nearly had some muppet snap my side stand in half on the Seacat crossing to France a few years ago. Got a nice kink in it now and leans over way too far :nash:

Headhunter
22-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Cheers Guzzrider, Sadbiker and Gary for your advice. :thumbsup:

Is always good to know other people's experiences/advice - especially for us newbies.

MrsJel
22-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Make sure that the bike(s) next to you are done up as well as yours!

I've used stena, p&o & dfds, and there's been a mix of straps & rope. I always carry ratchet straps just in case, always leave it in gear, but have never done the front brake thing.

Have a good trip, let us know how you got on and where you went, I'd like to get to Ireland sometime when my hubby doesn't want to take his fishing rod!

Carole

Scott1
22-08-2006, 01:54 PM
If you know the ferry company who are operating where you're headed, give them a call and ask about any provision they have for bikes, its usually nothing but worth asking.

I've done the Isle of Wight ferry quite a few times in some mad conditions but as its only 30 mins I've just sat on my bike and looked paranoid, usually whilst brand new R1 owners are realxing on deck with a cup of tea and a sandwich upstairs.

Lets hope the Sheffield Utd game is beter than Bolton...we played better with food poisining.

Headhunter
22-08-2006, 03:14 PM
True. I did give them a bell the other week and they just said we do provide tie downs.

However after doing plenty of reading up on touring, ferry companies didn't get the best review in terms of their provision/care of bikes (oily, poorly strapped down, damage to bike before it had even left port etc). And don't really want to take any chances.

Good to see another Spurs fan on here though! We haven't done well against Bolton in the past, so I guess I shouldn't have been too shocked - just want Defoe to get back on form again.

Redkite2
22-08-2006, 04:00 PM
I travel a lot on ferries so have quite a bit of experience in tieing down a bike, the last trip was in a Force 8 gale in the Channel. This is what I do:
Always leave the bike on the side stand, not a centre stand (not really a problem for Monsters). This ensures a stable 'triangle' of front wheel, rear wheel and stand. Think of the 'triangle' a centre stand forms with the front wheel, it's very small and the back wheel is off the ground - it's much less stable.

I use 4 or 5 straps and carry 3 myself, usually don't have to use them though.
Tie down the RH side (ie not the side with the side stand) with 2 straps, pulling the ratchet firmly, so it it just begins to pull the bike towards you. Then, tie down the other side, ensuring that you compress front and rear suspension slightly. Angle the ties out like tent ropes so they're not at right angles to the bike.
Don't put (or let others) straps over your seat or tank, they can easily cause damage. That said, some ferrymen(?) are actually very competent at tieing down a bike, others couldn't give a s@@t.
Lastly, fix a strap from the side stand to forks\front wheel so it can't lurch forward and collapse the stand. Leave the bike in gear. I don't see any point in strapping the front brake up. If you tie it down as above, it won't be going anywhere. Stu

Another thing: don't be fooled by a calm day on shore- it can still mean 2 -3 metre high waves when the ship gets in open water and a lot of rolling.
As already stated, it's just as important that the bikes near yours are secure as well - I always try to help others if they're not too sure what to do, for my ownsake as well as theirs!

Kiwi
26-08-2006, 04:54 AM
more importantly than strapping down your own bike is to make sure that the bike parked next to yours is strapped down properly

benson
26-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Oh god I'm seasick just reading!!! I really really don't like ferries or the choppy sea forthat matter.....

My only ferry trip was P&O to cherbourg - years ago, bike tied down and fine (Honda CB750), me a nervous wreck because it was a bit slippy underfoot.....Mate - very confident and taking the pi$$, rode on with her bloomin big honda super magna cruiser doodah and fell off...:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Headhunter
26-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Mate - very confident and taking the pi$$, rode on with her bloomin big honda super magna cruiser doodah and fell off...:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Noooo. Well, I think I need that to happen to me to wake me up! As I am about to spend a week on my monster in one of the windiest and wettest parts of Ireland. Indian summer???? :rolleyes:

benson
26-08-2006, 09:33 AM
All the best mate - it's a beautiful place and hope the sun shines and Spurs don't let any more goals in.....:rolleyes:

Headhunter
26-08-2006, 09:38 AM
All the best mate - it's a beautiful place and hope the sun shines and Spurs don't let any more goals in.....:rolleyes:

I hear that!

bod
27-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Just come back from IOW on the red funnel,there was a scooter rally on other there.
Watching those Vespas shake around near my car I was scared