PDA

View Full Version : More pics of new bikey

snick
21-08-2006, 09:10 PM
We picked the bike up on Sat evening & mr snick (who's signed up as andyc600) rode it home for me. Unfortunately for him, it absolutely belted it down for half the journey, and the bike cut out a few times. Every time he pushed it over 80 it just died - turns out that it had a blocked fuel breather pipe, so hopefully it's sorted now, and nothing more serious.

I have decided that it's a gurl bike. I still don't have a decent name for her, so any suggestions?

Some pics here. (http://www.eighteleven.org.uk/Bikes/Monster/Monster.htm)

Gave her a damn good clean yesterday, and fitted the screen. Need-to-dos include change the awful self-tapping screws on the front mudguard extender (which stick out on the underside, not clever), buy a lock, paddock stand & cover, poss change the indicators for something a little bit more bling, bar ends (I only appear to have one, on the right-hand-side), fit the belly pan, tail chop, service... and work out how to clean the grubby off the end cans & frame as can be seen here (http://www.eighteleven.org.uk/Bikes/Monster/20-6.jpg)and here. (http://www.eighteleven.org.uk/Bikes/Monster/20-7.jpg) No amount of cleaning seems to be making the blindest bit of difference. And no, it's not greasy, it seems to be actually part of the paint on the frame & the finish on the can (both sides, too).

Overall, though, she's tarted up quite considerably from the grubby state she arrived home in. There are a few chips & worn paint here & there, but it's a '99 bike with 20500 miles on the clock so it's obviously been ridden and enjoyed. Rather have that than a minter.

I'm very happy indeed! (Just been out in the back garden looking at her... and yes, it is nearly 10pm!!)

singletrack
21-08-2006, 10:33 PM
She looks great, snick - she has cleaned up really well:woot:

Pedro
21-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Kitchen cleaner used sparingly will sort the cans - I've recently found Cilit Bang quite good at cleaning the car wheels but don't leave it on too long!

gary tompkins
21-08-2006, 11:25 PM
I've seen some caustic engine degreasers leave streaks like that on alloy, especially if left on too long before rinsing. Like Ped said a good spray cleaner should shift it - or elbow grease and solvol. Of course the easy option is to swap the cans for something else - maybe a bit louder too? :D

You could try T-cut on the frame - or try to match it with a touch up spray?

Have fun and keep us posted on developements

Mrs Soup
22-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Ohh, I've come over all nostalgic. I had one just like this up until a year ago, and loved it to bits, especially the colour scheme. This one is so similar.

Enjoy !!

snick
23-08-2006, 08:50 PM
We picked the bike up on Sat evening & mr snick (who's signed up as andyc600) rode it home for me. Unfortunately for him, it absolutely belted it down for half the journey, and the bike cut out a few times. Every time he pushed it over 80 it just died - turns out that it had a blocked fuel breather pipe, so hopefully it's sorted now, and nothing more serious.

We shoved some WD40 through the breather pipe & fixed a foot pump to the end by the swing arm & forced the blockage out. mr snick took it for a spin up & down the M40 and the prob with cutting out over 80 has gone. :cool: I'll be taking it out myself this weekend, pootling about car parks till I get the jist (having not ridden for some time) but I'm so looking forward to getting out onto the twisties - the grin on his face when he came back was enough to keep spurring me on despite the horrid rain today!

crust
23-08-2006, 08:58 PM
hi, welcome, good choice on the bike

you're bank manager's going to hate me for this

www.spareshack.com

only just up the road from you in Hayes, very nice chap, club discount etc etc

right, thats any spare cash you have done for, my work here is done.

:) Crust

snick
24-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh! Aaargh! I get paid in three days, how did you know? You're a cad & a bounder, Crust, :p

Tigerlily
25-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi Snick,

My bike's just the same as yours.... well it started out like yours it's just a little different now. Bits and bobs have been added or taken away or painted! I was so proud at this years Weekender when it came 3rd in more than one of the bike show categories!

I love mine to bits!

Have fun with her :biggrin: