PDA

View Full Version : Leaking fuel from the tank

katana
21-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Have noticed fuel leaking out of the back of the fuel tank. Its a 98 m600.

Firstly thought it was the fuel filter as the lines were not on that well but once again noticed that theres fuel on the bike frame.

Next thinking its the fuel light sensor thats leaking, but have to wait until I've used up the fuel.

Now I'm wondering if the tanks cracked or is the bike to late for that to happen?

Cheers for the help.

MotoNik
21-08-2006, 08:21 PM
They all do that sir....

I'm guessing it's the usual leak around the hinge. I bought a kit from these guys:

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=25&frostCat=Fuel%20Tank%20Repair

Scroll down the page a bit for the motorcycle tank kit - £24 inc VAT.

It's a bit of a pain to do - allow a day or so to do a decent job. Worth the effort though - no leak since I did it two years ago. Make sure you take out the fuel level sensor etc first, and plug up all the fuel spigots before you go sloshing the acid everywhere though!

cheers,

Nik

katana
21-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Used them to cure rusty tanks but not cracked ones.

Rather it was done properly and not just lined.

MotoNik
22-08-2006, 12:40 PM
If it's the usual leak around the hinge point then this stuff will work fine, unless the main part of the tank is cracked? Where the hinge area is formed you have two thicknesses of metal pinched together and welded, and over time the welds presumably crack.

All you're doing is plugging the tiny little hairline gap, and this stuff is like epoxy - tough enough not to split, but with a degree of flexibility that allows it to expand and contract with the tank itself.

I'm guessing the amount of leakage isn't a huge amount?

Nik

katana
22-08-2006, 01:22 PM
If it's the usual leak around the hinge point then this stuff will work fine, unless the main part of the tank is cracked? Where the hinge area is formed you have two thicknesses of metal pinched together and welded, and over time the welds presumably crack.

All you're doing is plugging the tiny little hairline gap, and this stuff is like epoxy - tough enough not to split, but with a degree of flexibility that allows it to expand and contract with the tank itself.

I'm guessing the amount of leakage isn't a huge amount?

Nik
No not a huge amount, no puddle on the floor but damp marks on the frame.

Am running out of fuel and then cehecking with the tank off the bike.

katana
25-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Ah It was leaking from the reserve fuel sender.

But as tit had been bodged the wires no longer work so means I'm going to have to get a new or good second hand one.