PDA

View Full Version : Events - mini weekender anyone?

gary tompkins
20-08-2006, 11:08 PM
The UKMOC weekend in May has proved to be a great event for the club, with it's popularity getting to the stage where Arrow Mill was fully booked in under a week this year :eek:

I spend 12 months gagging to be there, only for it to be over in a flash and then have another long year to wait for the next one. It's got me thinking it would be great to have another weekender of sorts organised. Not as big an affair as Arrow Mill, and maybe one that visits different venues each year.

I really enjoyed Tigerlily's and Darrens MAD weeking in June, and it's one of the things I really enjoy about this club - meeting members from other areas & having a laugh

The weathers not usually too sad in September, so how about a mini weekender in 2008 somewhere around then - or is it too late in the year?

Any other suggestions?

Gadget
21-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Good idea. :idea:

Before all the softies put their toys away for winter and go into hibernation.
Gives enough time to plan a hectic social life, so no "I didn't know" syndrome.
Last big get together of the year to swap stories of recent endeavours.

Go for it...

See what the response is like.

:ukm:

NattyBoy
21-08-2006, 08:33 AM
All come over to magny cour with me on the 22/9 !!

On a serious note mate - id be happy to attend but im only free the very last weekend in september

Nat

dlloyduk
21-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Sounds Good. Where? Any ideas yet?

gary tompkins
21-08-2006, 01:43 PM
No idea where yet but hoping for suggestions - anyone know of suitable venues?

Thought we gould pick a region each year for our autumn get together

Wales, West country, Peaks & lakes district, Scotland (comfort seat a must)... etc, and not just camping - B&B an option too for less hardy ;)

STIVH
21-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Nice one Gary well up for this, On a local note and just for the record the Ducati up North group have a really smart hotel that they used this year for the Lakes Raid with camping nearby and well situated for a good blast around the Lakes. Also North and Central Wales are always pleasant enough areas and it is quite easy to find roads unihabitated by the blues and two's with their camera guns. Although it can get pretty wet around Snowdonia in September. Personally I would aim for Anglesey as it has some very nice back roads and some cracking beaches although some of the locals can be a bit stuck up when they hear an English voice. There are also some decent camping / static caravan areas and a Race Track nearby.

Look forward to seeing the thread on this in 2007.

gary tompkins
21-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks STIVH,

Very useful info mate - I remember you mentioning this event at the MAD weekend. The DUNG hotel looks promising for a base in that area, and even has camping option available - can you chase up a phone number or website?

Good start - keep the ideas coming folks...

Tigerlily
21-08-2006, 05:12 PM
I fancy the idea of this too!

:idea: Claicerrig's on Angelsey - I wonder if he has a garden and how many tents would fit in it???

Emily
21-08-2006, 06:17 PM
The weathers not usually too sad in September, so how about a mini weekender in 2008 somewhere around then - or is it too late in the year?

Any other suggestions?

Am I the only one who's confused? What year are you planning it for Gary? 2008, 2007 or this September??

Either way I'm up for it but I haven't bought a diary for 2008 yet so I'll have to pencil it in somewhere else!!! :chuckle:

Emily

Headhunter
21-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi Gary

Good suggestion mate! Def up for a mini monster w/e.

Surprised JMO hasn't popped up with her mini monsters yet! Would make good prizes - cough, wink, cough. :mand:

benson
21-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Mini monsters??? WAHT?????:look: :look: :look:

Meanwhile - yes to the mini weekender - it's the time factor though isn't it - so somewhere central would be needed with out that additional day as in a bank holiday... TOTALLY up for it - and let's make it happen!!!:yoparty:

Maybe a Wales, Scotland and England weekender!! We could have alternate meets up so that you could get to one close by or far away... Sorry - rambling - I'll go and think...

~BTW Headhunter - shame we didn't bloomin win at the weekend - go on you Spurs!!!

benson
21-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Just re -read my post - Didn't mean to exclude places over water (sorry Ricky!!!) - that roughly translates to me being totally NOT a sailor!!!! :p

Headhunter
21-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Doh! :chuckle:

I think somewhere in this warped mind of mine I was trying to refer to this thread by JMO http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=19217

Was gutted we lost at the w/e. Anyway we've got Sheffield Utd tomorrow or Wednesday and surely we've got to win that one.

benson
21-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Please God we do win!!!!

meanwhile those little bikes are pretty cool....Maybe if I put the Monnie on a hot wash...

I too really must get out more - hoping to head to great bentley on Wednesday night is I can!!!

GULLY
21-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi Gary
I am up for some of that big time matey.
as long as there are no black pole in the middle of the room:dizzy:

Gully:mand:

STIVH
21-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Gary I have sort of stolen these links from the D.U.N site so sorry to them for not asking but as I am a member maybe they wont mind? This is the one for the hotel.

http://www.lakedistricthotels.net/innonthelake/

and for those who do it under canvas these are two nearby sites the first is the nearest.

http://www.gillsidecaravanandcampingsite.co.uk/

http://www.lakedistrictcamping.co.uk/campsites/northeast/side_farm.htm

ricky
21-08-2006, 09:14 PM
you should have it in n,ireland!!:booze:

benson
21-08-2006, 09:23 PM
I think it's a KWALITEEEEEEE hotel and therefore up to our/my usual standard and we all love a bit of quality!!! I really fancy the idea of a central meet - somewhere we haven't been and somewhere there are hotel/B&B rooms because I am a camping wimp and need a roof, flushing toilet and preferably a big comfy bed... I'd be up for a reccie this year in readiness for the full shebang next year!!!!

gary tompkins
21-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Am I the only one who's confused? What year are you planning it for Gary? 2008, 2007 or this September??

Either way I'm up for it but I haven't bought a diary for 2008 yet so I'll have to pencil it in somewhere else!!! :chuckle:

Emily

Sorry Emily I did mean September 2007 :fou:

Gives us a year to sort things out - should be more than enough time?

Very encouraged by the response so far to mini weekender. Not planning to drag loads of people to it 1st time round, but would have thought 20+ to be realistic and plenty enough for a good crack.

Benson - good point about lack of Bank Holiday, but nearest one is August and not an easy (or cheap) one to book things up for. I'm sure people will be happy to book time off work to be there - it'll be worth it!

Ricky - would love a weekender in Ireland as it's one place I haven't visited for a holiday. Maybe a bit ambitious for a 1st attempt - but who knows where it could end up in future?

STIVH - Thanks for links to hotel etc.. I'll check them out :cool:

Fodder
21-08-2006, 11:39 PM
What about Las Vegas?:D

benson
22-08-2006, 07:25 AM
I'll be there....:bunny: :chuckle: :bunny:

STIVH
22-08-2006, 05:07 PM
ricky you should have it in n,ireland!!

We could always try the trip to Anglesey taking an early doors ride out onto the ferry over to Ireland having a few jars of the black or amber nectar and a meet up with our Irish members followed by a scenic sojourn into the countryside with a return journey on the last ferry back to Holyhead?

claicerrig
22-08-2006, 05:54 PM
ricky

We could always try the trip to Anglesey taking an early doors ride out onto the ferry over to Ireland having a few jars of the black or amber nectar and a meet up with our Irish members followed by a scenic sojourn into the countryside with a return journey on the last ferry back to Holyhead?

Gets my vote :ukm:

Emily
22-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Sorry Emily I did mean September 2007 :fou:

Thanks for the clarification GT!!

I'd be up for it too. Can we have it the week of the 8th September as that's my birthday weekend :mand:

Keep us informed as to where and when.

Emily

benson
22-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Right - Should we be thinking of a poll on a thread dedicated to a national mini weekender about where we go?

Weather wise it should still be OK in September (Yeah right - kiss of death) so I suppose anywhere would be ok but I suspect we'd all be happier heading somewhere more likely to be dry rather than somewhere known for the wet/damp? (Is there such a place apart from St Andrews bay in north east fife???)
I imagine we're looking at central UK? The idea of north wales with a possible trip to Ireland might be feasible - and perhaps that could be an optional no bike trip for those of us partial to the local brew!!!!!

I'd be happy to help find and book somewhere I think we need to give some more thought to the region - and should this be a job for area reps?

The organisation chip is now engaged and working - so come on then peeps - what's the next step?

Emily
22-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Good idea Rachel!!! :idea:

Could take some major organising just sorting out a venue so I reckon a poll would be good. Perhaps give a few loose venue options such as which county then you can choose the most popular ones and then go from there............?

You need to get a feel for how far people are prepared to travel. I was well up for the last MAD 'do' but it was just too far for me to travel for one night. Even though this one will be a whole weekend (and the next MAD 'do' I hasten to add! ;) ) I guess there will be people that will feel the same about this one.

Keep that chip engaged, and if you need any salt and vinegar to go with it I'm happy to oblige!!

Emily

Guzzirider
23-08-2006, 06:24 AM
A nice venue just across the Scottish border is the Ken Bridge Hotel in New Galloway. It has its own campsite next to it, and also some brilliant empty well surfaced twisty roads through forests and moorland- excellent Ducati territory!

http://www.thekenbridge.co.uk/about.htm

Guy

gary tompkins
23-08-2006, 05:04 PM
STIVH,

can you confirm this is the hotel used by the DUN Group?

http://www.signpost.co.uk/lake_district_and_cumbria/inn_on_the_lake_hotel_ullswater_cumbria.htm

The link you posted the other night was duff

Benson is running a poll on where to go here....

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=19492

so please visit thread and vote for your preferred area

I'll give it a few more days before starting a list of who's interested, just as Tigerlily did with MAD weekend - to give us some idea of potential numbers :)

benson
23-08-2006, 05:11 PM
SOunds good GT - I reckon that once we know the area we could find out who's up for it and what the preferred venues are - and then we get a mini weekender checking them out!!!:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: