PDA

View Full Version : New rider - new monster!

pickle
17-08-2006, 03:02 PM
:scratch: Hi guys!!

Just at the stage of taking direct access (passed theory). I'm 30 and live in Ripon, North Yorks - Yorkshire lass!. I have fallen for the Monster but really stuck between the 695 or the S2R 800 - can anyone help?

Dave G
17-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Both great first bikes! Probably not much between them now in power and handling.
Which do you prefer the look of ?:mand:

andros
17-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi and welcome pickle. Another Yorkshire member too!

I would say both would be a good choice, I have an S2r 800 and really like it. Some people are not so keen on the brakes because they are a bit basic, but I have not had a problem and I often ride two up. I also really like the look of S2r over 695 but that is obviously personal choice.

Gilps
17-08-2006, 03:53 PM
I think they both have the same brakes. They're not bad but not wonderful but as a relatively new rider they will be just fine. They just show up a bit on hard riding and braking. They both have the same great clutch. I really just comes down to looks I think. I reckon the S2r looks more up-to-date.

Yorkie
17-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the club!

I am about 6 miles away from you!

Yorkie.

farl
17-08-2006, 03:58 PM
I trained at Ripon before they closed it down :mad: Very fund memories of the Billy, the Mucky Duck and the One Eyed Rat.

Now back to bikes, the 695 is the newest engine design that's going to be rolled out across the others as the engines are upgraded (I believe). It means that it's cheaper to service in terms of time and how often it needs servicing too. And the insurance will be cheaper. I went from 620sie to a S4R now I've got a S4Rs, but the 695 has more power than the original 900 I think.

Who's your dealer?

nephilim
17-08-2006, 03:59 PM
bonjour! well i've been told that the north is a cold place, never been as i don't have a passport!!!! invest in thermal undies!! ummmmm.... thermals!

singletrack
17-08-2006, 04:15 PM
I recognise you from the BG site.
welcome to :ukm:

I am sure you will enjoy whichever Monster you choose :mand:

mintydrummerman
17-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi

I would definitly go for the S2R, nothing against the 695, its just so much better looking! I had a go on one for a few hours when my dad was getting his bike serviced and im not over exaggerating here, but absolutely everyone and their dog was looking at me and the gorgeous bike i was sitting on. Red with the White stripe and you cant go wrong. (but thats just my opinion!):thumbsup:

benson
17-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Hello and welcome to the club! :mand:

Good luck with the direct access! :rolleyes:

If insurance is an issue and it might be with a first bike then the 695 will be cheaper - but in terms of what they will or won't do then either as a first bike should see you right. Personal choice on looks really - and remember that you can always upgrade performance over time with either..

Headhunter
17-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Just as the name suggests!

Welcome to the club - great bunch of peeps on here.

Buy both, go awn.

benson
17-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Well done that man - bloomin good suggestion!!!!

:thumbsup:

Headhunter
17-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Have to admit if I had my way and a bigger bank balance, I'd have a 620, S2, S4Rs and maybe a 999 or the 916.

But then that's just me being :booze: :chuckle:

If I were pushed, i'd go for the 695 as like the 620 it would be a great entry bike and then go from there.

Benson, hope to meet you at one of the Ace nights - has been a while!

rockjock620
17-08-2006, 09:22 PM
:scratch: Hi guys!!

Just at the stage of taking direct access (passed theory). I'm 30 and live in Ripon, North Yorks - Yorkshire lass!. I have fallen for the Monster but really stuck between the 695 or the S2R 800 - can anyone help?

when you get your ticket, give me a shout, I'm in Harrogate, there are quite a few of us around this neck of the woods, riding regularly. I don't get here that often but run an M900 (95) and 996. find me more on www.ducati-upnorth.com anytime. cheers

Shandy
17-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Hello and welcome to the club.

With the bike choice they are both great bikes, as others have said it comes down to 2 things really,

1 - which one you think looks the best, the classic older look 695 or the more modern single sidded swing arm both cans on the same side S2R
2 - what you can afford to buy/insure/run etc (this one will probably make the choice on number 1 for you)

As an entry bike the 695 should more than suit, i started with an M600 3 years ago and still love it. When you want something quicker just buy another Ducati and start a bike collection.

Good luck with the choice,

Shandy

steve kearl
18-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Hi there and welcome to the club, go for the 800 as you will soon get bored and want more grunt.

pickle
18-08-2006, 02:40 PM
:thumbsup: I have to say i'm really chuffed with the large numbers of responses, welcomes and advice - fantastic

I love the look of the S2R but could get the 695 wheels powder coated white and stripe added - and of course seat cover and front screen! would look similar except for exhausts

the 695 is better ride height for me being 5ft 5 and a bit! will have to think on - if i can get S2R cheaper nearer the time i may be swayed

thanks guys - you are all great - i'm so looking forward to the riding scene and how sociable it is! will be in touch - now off to Madrid (sunday) for 5 days (work not pleasure :thumbsdown:

Oh and its my birthday today! :drunk:

andros
18-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Happy birthday to you then and have a good trip.:booze:

bod
19-08-2006, 04:31 PM
My 620 was my 1st bike had it for nearly 3 years now and still does everything I need it to by a cheap 620 or the new 695 thing.

How many does that make the Yorkshire section upto now?

jonno464
21-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi All

I have just bought a 2001 m600 monster and the person before me chopped the rear off the frame to fit a tail tidy. I would like to make it back to normal again but would like to know if there is anyone out there that could take their seat off and take a photo to show me how the rear number plate holder etc fits.

Please let me know if you can help.

:D

aelius
27-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi pickle,

I've just passed my test and had to make the same decision. Ultimately I went for the S2R, as for the extra grand you get an awful lot of cool stuff - the swing arm, pipes and paint are worth the extra for me! :)

Tigerlily
27-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the club pickle!

The best advice I can give you is to see if you can get to test ride both of them and see what you think.

Personally I'd go for one of the smaller engined models first, like others have said, if you do get bored you can always upgrade to something more powerful :)

Jonno.....I'm in Manchester, drop me a pm, you can come and have a look at my bike if you like - far better than a photo! Mines had a tail-chop too but not a radical one so it's still got the part which you want to see..... Oh, welcome to you too! :mand: