PDA

View Full Version : DP gel seat

Chaos Inc.
17-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I currently have 2 more of the Gel seats in stock which I am doing for £110 inc vat for members.

Mail me or call me on 0207 8332515

Regards
Alex

Chaos Inc.
17-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Sorry folks, both of these are now sold. More will be later or can be ordered as wish.

Paivi
17-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Alex,

Spoke to Brett earlier (called him originally about the panniers for my Monster) and he said he's expecting more seats to come in. Just a question: are they the same height as the standard one, as I'm short, so cannot really afford to lose any more height?

Paivi

Chaos Inc.
24-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Alright, I have another gel seat in stock at £110+ p&p and hopefully some more within 1-2months. First come first served.

MilesB
24-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Just a question: are they the same height as the standard one, as I'm short, so cannot really afford to lose any more height?
Paivi
The seat itself is slightly lower than the standard one, and flatter, so should help slightly.

Miles

Gilps
24-08-2006, 02:36 PM
If you have tail chopped your Monnie then the seat will not fit on without modification, particularly in the area around the new bungee hooks. I'm in the process of removing my hooks to fit, plus the seat base needs cutting away in places, not much but enough to stop it fitting straight on.
Looks good though. Can't wait to try it out.

gary tompkins
24-08-2006, 08:38 PM
If you have tail chopped your Monnie then the seat will not fit on without modification, particularly in the area around the new bungee hooks. I'm in the process of removing my hooks to fit, plus the seat base needs cutting away in places, not much but enough to stop it fitting straight on.
Looks good though. Can't wait to try it out.

Don't get this - my DP Gel seat went straight on the trike without mods & that's had a chop? Actually I did need to leave the tool storage lid off to clear the Datatool alarm which is fitted below the seat.

It is a crap fit though, and really loose at the front where it clips under the tank. The catch has also come undone a few times when I've hit bumps, so I think the mechanism needs lifting slightly with packing washers.

Gilps
25-08-2006, 01:28 AM
The are more contours on the gel seat, particularly around the rear bungee hooks. Also the "lump" of plastic around the pin is bigger. All this seems to foul on the metal bodywork of the JMo tail chop kit, and the bungee hooks even catch on the indicator bolts on the inside. JMo's chop kit works well but was obviously not designed for a seat with a different profile underneath.
It won't take much for me to sort out, I just need to find some time. The bungee hooks will have to go and I will need to file off some of the underseat plastic.

gary tompkins
25-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Ahh - i see you went for JMo's chop kit

Mine was a DIY job - just a swipe with the angle grinder + a few alloy brackets. I have absolutely no problems with fitting the DP seat, so it must be down to the kit ;)

queen_gpants
25-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Chaos could you put me down for a seat please, not in any real hurry so happy to wait till the next batch comes in.

benson
25-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Me too Chaos!!!!

Gilps
26-08-2006, 03:57 PM
It's on and it's fitted. I took an angle grinder to the rear bungee hooks and let it nibble away at the plastic seat base just behind the hooks. Next thing was to take Gary's advice and raise the lock mechanism by putting two washers each side underneath the lock.
I have yet to try it out on a run for comfort as its raining a little here on and off. I have sat on it though. Regarding seat height what I would say is this. The original seat was quite narrow at its narrowist point. The DP seat is ever so slightly wider at the same point. The DP seat looks slightly lower though. The rear of the riders section is flatter and less upswept at the back than the standard seat so should be more comfy for those of you with a larger butt. The seat material is rougher, almost like a suede material so not sure how I will get on with this, I like to move around a little. I sat on the new seat and could tell no discernible difference is seat height. My feet were still not flat on the floor so I wouldn't buy this seat just to get a lower seating position. What I tend to do on a bike where I struggle to get a foot down is I slide off the seat to one side and put that foot down. Not sure whether the seat material is going to be conducive to my slidey-bum technique. But it does look good and comfy so I will report back with my findings after a long run.

benson
27-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Well doen for the progress report Gilps - and gad to read that the indicators are doing what it say son the tin - horrah indeed...

I have a big arse so no doubt will get on well with the gel seat if and when I get one - in fact I might not fit it to the bike at all and just put it on the sofa...

Stafford
28-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Has anyone got a photo of one of these GEL seats? After an hour or so my pert butt starts complaining.
Cheers
Q

Mand
28-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Darry has a gel seat, maybe he has a picture?

I know after my IOW jaunt, I would like to buy one! :chuckle:

Darry
28-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Here you go!

http://www.ducati.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/m1170114/969577AAA_L.jpg

Darry.

Mand
28-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Darry, one question I forgot to ask. Does it absorb the rain? My bike lives outside in the day when I use it for work and it usually rains in Leicester so will I get an ultra soggy arse at 5.30pm?

fatbloke
28-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Darry, one question I forgot to ask. Does it absorb the rain? My bike lives outside in the day when I use it for work and it usually rains in Leicester so will I get an ultra soggy arse at 5.30pm?
no they dont its nice and comfy all year round

Darry
29-08-2006, 10:03 AM

As opposed to just soggy as usual then? :mand:

No they don't absorb water.

Darry.

Stafford
29-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Here you go!

http://www.ducati.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/m1170114/969577AAA_L.jpg

Darry.

Thanks for the piccie Darry and the other info you've posted.
I might just have to get my bum a prezzie.
Cheers
Q

adam15
29-08-2006, 06:54 PM
hi

i have a 1994 M600 and was wondering if they do a DP comfort seat for it as i saw one on a monster at the V-twin rally this week end but the locking mechanisum on the seat was different to mine.
do you know if there is one to fit the my earliar monster if not can i fit the later one by changing the locking mechanisum
thanks adam

gary tompkins
01-09-2006, 07:37 PM
They don't do one for earlier bike and you can't make it fit. Even if you could sort the locking mechanism - the back of the fuel tanks a different shape and the seat won't fit it.

Corbin & Sargent both make comfort seats for the earlier monsters, but neither have Gel inserts like the DP one.

squiffything
27-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Ok you lot with the soft bum protectors.

Now that you all have a cumfy ride do any of you still have the old seat. I'm looking at trying out something and want an old seat to experiment with.

It's for a 620 and it doesn't really matter what condition it's in but by the same token I will be pulling it apart so I don't want to have to pay too much for it in case it all goes bums up.

gary tompkins
27-09-2006, 06:37 PM
I've got a spare from my 900ie - should fit the 620?

I was going to re-cover it because the cover's been sewn on the p*ss by the factory. The seam at the front of the pilion perch is wonky and looks odd when a seat cowl is fitted - other than that its fine.

Drop me a PM if interested?

nambduke
12-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Result!!

Just managed to get a new one for £95 off eBay:thumbsup: !

I'll need it when the wife finds out and kicks my a**e:eyepopping:

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

gary tompkins
13-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Mine was £105 + P&P from Ducati - so £95 isn't that much of a saving

Mind you they used to retail at £200+ until Ducati reduced the price this year.

nambduke
13-10-2006, 11:54 AM
??

£10 is £10.....anyone who doesn't want theirs, just send them to me!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

Stafford
13-10-2006, 11:58 AM
??

£10 is £10.....anyone who doesn't want theirs, just send them to me!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

Try here,

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Daytona-Motorcycles

Look in the store, they're luvly :)
Cheers
Q

nambduke
13-10-2006, 11:57 PM
That's where I got it from! Like I said, £10 is £10.......any savings, no matter how small, just send them to me!

;-)

Mark Nambduke

Stafford
14-10-2006, 07:24 AM
That's where I got it from! Like I said, £10 is £10.......any savings, no matter how small, just send them to me!

;-)

Mark Nambduke

Do I make the cheque out to you Mark? :chuckle:
Q

nambduke
14-10-2006, 11:01 PM
That's right....just leave the amount out and I'll fill in the details......:devil:

pete
18-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Well mine turned up today - fits a treat, looks and feels great. Hopefully try and give it a proper test if the weather gods are smiling on us sometime in the next few days...

Big thanks to Steve at Daytona - arrived next day by courier as promised, together with DP mirrors. So I can't see behind me anymore but at least my behind shouldn't be sore any more :-)

Cheers,

Pete

nambduke
18-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Well mine turned up today - fits a treat, looks and feels great. Hopefully try and give it a proper test if the weather gods are smiling on us sometime in the next few days...

Big thanks to Steve at Daytona - arrived next day by courier as promised, together with DP mirrors. So I can't see behind me anymore but at least my behind shouldn't be sore any more :-)

Cheers,

Pete

I'll echo that....I dealt with Steve at Daytona (again big thanks) also and the seat arrived the next day....Good fit but slightly lower than the original. Bigger compartment on the underside and 4 retractable bungee hooks for keeping the pillion strapped on!! Time will tell whether the gel seat has beneficial bottom soothing qualities........

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

Stafford
18-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Just got mine from Daytona as well, quick service and it's like riding a new bike.
Now for the one hour test. :mand: will my butt survive.
Q

DUKEBRITISHLION
25-10-2006, 09:43 PM
hi if you have a gel seat for my monster 900 dark year 2000 i would be gratful if i could purchase one.Also can you still place the seat cowl onto these seats
Michael

Chaos Inc.
03-11-2006, 02:55 PM
I have four gel seats in stock at the moment as all four orders seem to have been cancelled. As said £110 + p&p if it needs to be sent.

adam15
06-11-2006, 07:28 AM
any chance you can send me a picture of the bottom of the seat to see if the fitting will allow me to fit it to my monster. looked at someone else and the rear locking in was different. thanks. send the pics to adam_ducati@hotmail.co.uk

gary tompkins
06-11-2006, 12:04 PM
This question was answered on page 2 of the thread.

The Gel seat won't fit pre Y2K monsters unless you want to do a lot of mods

Chaos Inc.
06-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Tried to arrange a pic but not working. Nevertheless, as Gary said, 2000 and onwards.

squiffything
06-11-2006, 03:53 PM
This question was answered on page 2 of the thread.

The Gel seat won't fit pre Y2K monsters unless you want to do a lot of mods

Yeah but as his bike is a 2k machine it might just be on the cusp of a change over. Some dodgy bike dealer selling off the old pre 2k stock at the time.

gary tompkins
06-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah but as his bike is a 2k machine it might just be on the cusp of a change over. Some dodgy bike dealer selling off the old pre 2k stock at the time.

Not according to his previous post?

hi

i have a 1994 M600 and was wondering if they do a DP comfort seat for it as i saw one on a monster at the V-twin rally this week end but the locking mechanisum on the seat was different to mine.
do you know if there is one to fit the my earliar monster if not can i fit the later one by changing the locking mechanisum
thanks adam