PDA

View Full Version : Air Locked?

gjfevans
16-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Here's one for you. I was out on Saturday for about an hour when I stopped for fuel, nearly on empty. After filling up the bike made all the right noises but was not for starting.
Had a quick check of electrical connections still nothing, then in the back of my mind I remembered something about air locking of a full tank on hot days as the fuel expands(?). So I opened and closed the filler cap and hey presto.
By the way it was not a hot day.
Tonight I had a ride out to Squires stopped there for about 45mins and when I came to start the bike, you guessed it same thing, same cure.
Whats going on there then?

katana
16-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Is the breather pipe blocked? Not sure but it could be a ball bearing in the fuel cap lid, if it similar to other caps I've worked on.

slob
16-08-2006, 09:11 PM
My (plastic) tank has two aluminium nipples that screw into the underside, that the drain hoses fit onto. One for the breather and one to allow water to drain from away from the filler neck. They get firred up regularly, I just whip the hoses off and twirl a small drill-bit in them, using thumb and fingers, to clean them out a couple of times a year.

DesmoDom
16-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Or if you've had your tank up lately (FFNARR-FFNARR), make sure you haven't trapped the breather pipe.

Baz