PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Clock Lenses

DesmoDom
11-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Just out of interest, how many UKMOC members have had cracks appear, in a, or both (if you have 2) of their clock(s), as I've heard of a few, but it only seems to happen on Monsters and mainly S4's.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Baz

claicerrig
11-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Even after throwing mine down the road at Mallory my clocks are as they left the factory :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ok

Perryl
11-08-2006, 11:55 PM
I had the clocks on my S4 replaced twice. Once for cracking and once for condensation problems. Both done under warrenty without quibble.

Regards

Perry

sadbiker
12-08-2006, 09:27 AM
CORS 02 620SIE has a crack on one of its clocks. We don't know how it happened. It went in for a service with Luigi Motos and we only noticed after it came back when it was being cleaned. We can't say for certain if it was there before hand or not.

Has anyone a way to replace the glass and where to get replacements from?

Mand
12-08-2006, 09:28 AM
I've got hairline cracks on my clocks too. Bike is out of warranty. Not whether I am going to bother replacing them though.

For general amusement though, whilst riding to Donington a few weeks back, I had an earwig type insect crawling around the rev counter (inside) ..... :chuckle:

DesmoDom
12-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies folks.
I'll leave it another week or so, to see if there are anymore cases of Monsters with cracked lenses.
I'm onto my 5th Ducati now and I've never had this happen to any of the others and I've fallen over with every one of them (short legs :D ) on uneven or sloped ground, even the ones on my 996 never suffered any damage when it fell off my bike trailer, so I do find it odd that Monsters seem to have this problem. Maybe it was a duff batch of clocks, who knows ????
Also, most of the cracks I've seen, have been at the bottom of the clocks.
It would be nice though to see exactly how many of us have, or had this problem with our bikes.

Baz

DesmoDog
12-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Two monnies, three clocks, three cracks. Crap! Or added character, you choose.

There's no easy way of replacing the glass (hence three clocks) because it is molded into the body. I think Pedro (or Space Monkey.. - sorry chaps, you just look the same to my minds eye) once came up with a method that involved dremmels and sheet perspex. Have fun.

bod
12-08-2006, 02:31 PM
3 years old and no clocks just condensation sometimes so you can't read them (which is handy)!

Zimbo
12-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Just got a small crack starting to appear on my speedo, M900 1995 22000 miles.

Mr C
13-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Mine has a small crack, The clocks that is

DesmoDom
13-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Keep them coming peeepil :thumbsup:
I feel a letter to Ducati UK coming on, you never know what the outcome might be. From past experience, the people at Ducati UK are very amiable and happy to help if they can, they can only say f-cough.
:D :D :D

Darry
13-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Whoops posted twice!

Darry
13-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Yes small crack on my speedo in the middle.

Started out with condensation and then the hairline crack appeared. I was told By Ducati London south that with the bike being outside the heat/cold causes a fluctuation of the air temp inside the speedo and caused the condensation. I was told that the clocks could be replaced under warranty if the problem got worse, but the crack seemed to stop the condensation so I never bothered getting it done, and now the bikes out of warranty.

cosmicknome
15-08-2006, 08:25 AM
I too had the clocks replaced twice because the lenses cracked.
They always seemed to crack in winter, i think it's because of the
low tempretures at night.

Jane
15-08-2006, 09:54 AM
No cracks yet, but my bike's only 5 months old! It did come with condensation already in the clocks though.

welshman
15-08-2006, 09:59 AM
makes sence what you say but its not going to be a conection to weather / low temps unless you out on your bike at - 30

The material used on the clocks is
sight glass is made from Acrylic which is not very strong on impact , but should be fine in this application the surround is polypropylene my guess is that because the to are moulded as one unit it must put presure on the acrylic material , whick can crack very easy , i dont understand why ducati dont use Polycarbonate looks the same & will not crack ever

why do i know this boring stuff the company i work for makes this type of material

my s4 have to cracks also ( big ones ) they seem to appear after the 2005 track day we did
john

sadbiker
15-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Any chance your company makes nice round pieces that could be put in place of the duff ones ?

welshman
15-08-2006, 11:02 AM
I can supply you two bits of material
rough sizes say

110mm x 110mm x 1 or 2mm thick in clear polycarbonate with a proctected film , then you would need to band saw they into Circles yourself or get them machined into discs

hope that helps

john

nephilim
15-08-2006, 11:36 AM
a grand totla of four cracks on two clocks... one each on the lens bits and one each on the mounting points.... and thats on the third set!!! (last two just broke at the mounting points) Have NO IDEA where the lens cracks have come from they just appeared over-night!

DesmoDom
15-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Well I don't know what anyone else thinks the cause of this is, but to me it seems that there is little or no tollerance between the lens and where it sits, therefore, it's either the expansion or contraction of the clock rim, or vibration that's cracking the lens. This as I see it, is a design fault, therefore Ducati should issue a recall on any Monsters that have this problem, be they in warranty or out of it. Even if Ducati only supplied owners with new lenses to fit themselves if the bike is out of warrany, I'm sure this would keep people happy.
I worked it out the other day, that on the 5 ducati's I've owned, I've spent (not including servicing or tyres) almost £65.000 on the bikes themselves and Ducati Performance parts, this does not include non DP parts, which add up to almost £2.000 and I'm sure there are others out there that have spent around the same, or even more on the Ducati's they've had.
Personally, I would'nt buy another new bike unless it was a Ducati, because I have'nt found another make of bike that gives you that feel good factor.
Yes I've had problems with the other Ducati's I've had, some of them big, but it's never put me off them (Glutton for punishment :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: )
So I think it's time that Ducati pulled their finger out and do something about these minor, but very annoying problems.

(SPLEEN VENTED, RANT OVER, I THINK I'LL GO AND LIE DOWN NOW :grump: )

Baz

conner
15-08-2006, 01:32 PM
mine had had the clocks replaced when i bout it due to cracks

mintydrummerman
15-08-2006, 02:57 PM
i found a monster on ebay that i was interested in but was put off due to a cracked clock as i thought it might have been dropped or it would be expensive to replace :on:

welshman
15-08-2006, 03:19 PM
new clocks

you dont get a lot of change from £500

mintydrummerman
16-08-2006, 05:19 PM
holy moly!

welshman
17-08-2006, 01:07 PM
sum on e bay

Ducati-Monster-Dashboard-Assembly-40610261B

carr01
17-08-2006, 06:44 PM
My S4 had the clocks changed, for the same reason i was told,before i bought the bike from the dealer, so the milage is about 3000 out. Now it's happening again but only with the speedo this time, and the crack so far is about half an inch long towards the bottom of the clock. And yes it will condense up in cold/ damp weather.Weird stuff indeed.Good luck with ducati U.K.

DesmoDom
17-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Well, the more reports of this problem we can gather together, the greater the chance Ducati might do something to rectify it.

Baz

Red
17-08-2006, 11:13 PM
The S4 that I am now riding has a crack on the rev counter glass about an inch long
The ones on the 750 Monster were perfect and a much older bike to!
:ukm:

Chaos Inc.
18-08-2006, 08:43 AM
7 years old and no crack.
Read into it what you wish.

Custard
18-08-2006, 09:07 AM
My speedo has recently gained a crack at the bottom - wondered what had happened so it seems I'm not alone!

Red
18-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Hubby informed me tonite that he is replacing the broken clock glass as a winter project will let you know how it goes says its not hard to do!!!

Darry
10-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Another crack has appeared on the speedo glass, about 1 cm below the existing crack.

A friend is giving me their old clocks as they had them replaced due to one of the lenses cracking, so I will look at how these are put together and try to salvage the glass and replace mine... I'll let you know how it goes.

Darry.

How come there hasn't been a recall on these clocks!

Albie
10-10-2006, 09:01 PM
I cracked one on my m900 when my key fob lanyard whipped it in the wind.Had to get another clock.:worried:

Darry
10-10-2006, 09:07 PM
I Did it.... See here >http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=20161