PDA

View Full Version : S2R Warranty Claim

Mrs Soup
10-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't know if anyone else has had this particular problem, but I would welcome advice as to the best way to get it sorted.

I was cleaning the bike about 3 weeks ago and spotted that I'd lost most of the paint off a small front cover, and that there was a big chip in the paint just below the joint on what I think is called the sump casing. The engine casings are both fine btw.

The bike's a year old has done about 3000 miles with almost no winter use.

I went down to Riders where I bought the bike and showed Duncan the service manager. His first response was

"Ducati aren't very helpful with cosmetic warranty claims."

On seeing the Louigimoto sticker, his second was "anyway, you've invalidated the warranty by having work carried out by a non Ducati Workshop".

He did agree to phone Ducati to arrage for an assessor to come and inspect the bike, but as of this afternoon, the official response is that my warranty is no longer valid.

The damage is shown on the attached photo.

Any advice as to the best way to get this sorted?

Gilps
10-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Hmm, interesting one. I noticed paint peeling from the edge of the same cover a couple of weeks ago. At the moment it is just on the edge but I expect it to spread. It has done 4000 miles now. My bike is booked into Riders of Bristol for it's annual service on the 31st so will be interested to see what they make of it. I intend for it to be rectified under warranty. I don't see how another dealer can have invalidated the warranty.
There was some big hoo haa over this issue some years back relating to the car trade and I suppose it also relates to the bike trade too. The issue surrounded servicing by non-franchised garages. The manufacturer cannot refuse to honour the warranty if the servicing has been carried out in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations, irrespective of who did the work. The way that some car makers got around it was to offer a two year warranty and extend it by one year if the service record was all dealer network.
I also think that unless the other dealer touched the area in question, why would the warranty be invalid. I have tail chopped mine so would expect Ducati to refuse the warranty if I have issues with the area that I have cut, but issues such as engine or brakes should stil be covered as my reckless actions could not have affected those areas.

Darry
10-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Where is the Louigimoto sticker, in the logbook?

If its just on the bike, that doesn't prove they did any work... I had a shell sticker on mine, but shell have never worked on the bike!

If the sticker is on the bike and not the logbook, and you didn't admit to taking the bike elsewhere then I can't see how they can void the warranty.

Good Luck D.

sjr999r
10-08-2006, 03:16 PM
sticker on the bike from another dealer.doesnt mean **** all........dont take that BS from Riders.....(bunch of tossers IMO),thats non of his business and he knows it,just his way of getting out of doing something about it:Furious:

singletrack
10-08-2006, 03:26 PM
As long as Louigi Moto haven't touched the sump cover it should make no difference. I would take issue with them about it. It IS covered by warranty, and Ducati should honour it.

sadbiker
10-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I would send the photo to Ducati UK directly and ask them to sort it out with the dealer. If they are stating the Warranty is now invalid, then ask if they mind if you get the local trading standards involved.

This is not a mechanical issue so nothing to do with who has serviced the bike. Also I would make a complaint to Riders, I would expect far better from them. After all you bought the bike from them. Phil Jessop is the owner of Riders so go to the top if they fail to listen and progress.

Unfortunetly this tends to be where dealers fall down on after sales. They seem to forget that one day you may buy again, or pass on comments of how you have been dealt with. Read comments about Ducati Aylesbury. I have not heard much good about its after sales.

S4Rs-Tone
10-08-2006, 05:03 PM
i also had paint peeling off of what i think is the 2 cam covers , took my bike back to my supplying dealer ( cmw in chichester) they had 2 in stock and changed them under warranty while i waited . they said it was a common problem.

Nonnie
10-08-2006, 05:17 PM
I had my footrest hangers and clutch cover done when the bike was OUT of warranty. Ducati DO realise there is a problem here. I would just bypass the dealer and get straight onto Ducati UK. Sadbiker is right there.

NattyBoy
10-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Take no notice - I agree - riders service dept are probably the most unhelpful/cant be arsed bunch of dealer people ive ever met (I speak from experience).

On the contrary, DUK are very reasonable on this type of thing. At theend of the day, its an inspection cover which lists at only £30 or so..so i'd be confident. Not sure of the marks you refer to on the sump ??

Good luck

Nat

sadbiker
10-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Its a shame about Riders as on one hand Bristol seem to be trying to promote Ducati and local Monsters and then this, Yes a £30 item and hopefully 10 minutes to swap it, but they seem not to want to spend the time simply filling in the Warranty claim forms and making a happy customer. Maybe they need to get some Ducati Customer Training from Italy.

Mrs Soup
11-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I have a call in to Ducati's area after sales manager, so we'll see what happens next.

The cam cover is not so much the worry as the paint coming off the sump. :eek:

Nat, this photo is a bit clearer. It's the darker area with the straight line across the top. This just shows the paint which has chipped off, most of the paint in this area is loose.

Spud
13-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Must say I agree with those saying go straight to Ducati. Following my recent problem with a failed chain that marked the swing arm & hugger, Veloce recommended that I should talk to Ducati, some photos and email into Ducati had it sorted in no time.

Incidently, I would recommend taking it to a friendlier dealer. Veloce (Norwich) had mine in for 2 weeks, lent me a 999 for the first week, a multistrada for the second week while they waited for parts to come in. They didn't even supply my bike from new.

Ducati Warranty paid for a new swingarm, new hugger, and because they couldn't get replacement standard chain and sprockets - supplied a Ducati Performance (goldie lookin) chain, and alloy Ducati performance rear sprocket

Now I have my baby back:mand:

sadbiker
14-08-2006, 06:37 AM
I will say when riders of bristol got the Gen C&S set wrong for CORS M620 (they supplied a 600 set which was 4 links 2 short), I was sorted out by Bridgwater as had other things ordered by them. Due to the time it was taking to get the replacement chain, they ended up ordering a chain from a supplier and one of the sales guys even dropped it off at our house. (he lived local) . To our surprise instead of the standard DID O'ring, it was the X-ring gold. It seems to be hit and miss for some people with Riders which is such as shame as some of the service I have had from them over the years has been so spot on. But this seems to be the case with all main dealers. Some people will swear blind by their dealer and others hate their guts.

masterofthemoon
14-08-2006, 04:14 PM
This is a common problem with Ducati's I am afraid. The finish on the engine/crank/sump casings is terrible. My 2 year old (6000 mile) S4R has paint peeling off the crank cases and in all honesty it is spoiling the bike and driving me nuts, it is common with ducati's and they seem to think we should put up with it..but to be honest it is starting to put me off ducati ownership and i have had 8 ducati's in the past 15 years..!!

CK & AK
14-08-2006, 07:19 PM
The paint coming off has been ongoing for a long time - got my first monster 'sorted in 2002, and this one in 2005 and Ducati have been 100% about getting parts replaced.

Just speak politely to your dealer - and also check my previous postings by doing a search about paint peeling off.............

C:)

LAURENT
14-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Ducati is usualy easy for warrany claims. Lately the company is hardly selling anything and they don't want unhappy future customer.
My bike is just coming out the 6000 miles service done in France (because I had enough of aylesbury) and when the dealer have seen the paint peeling off my S4R, he told me that this was not hapening in France. It must be due to the amount of salt used in UK !! France is mainly using sand now , it's environement friendly ...
Good luck and next time don't put any sticker :thumbsup:

Perryl
14-08-2006, 10:08 PM
My 1 year old S4r is starting to show signs of engine paint peeling off as did my previous S4. I mentioned it at the last service and was told that Ducati consider the finish of the engine unimportant as they are really race engines!!

Hmm. My bike has never seen salt so I am not very happy with the explanantion, especially on a bike costing over eight grand.

I intend to see how bad it gets before the warranty expires and then decide what to do.

Regards

Perry

fordey
15-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I had my 6000 mile service done at Louigi Moto......excellent job by the way. Its strange Ducati invalidating your warranty especially has the mechanic at Louigi Moto is Ducati approved or whatever the term is.....Yes riders are crap

parkduc
15-08-2006, 06:23 PM
I had paint coming off the offside engine cover, the footrest hanger and corrosion pitting on the forks within the warranty period. All was dealt with through Snells without any problems. Now though the paint is bubbling on the nearside cover and as the bike is 4 years old I guess its my problem. I am not that happy, this bike has never been in the rain or salt, is sprayed with that FS stuff after every ride kept in a garage under a dust cover. What with that and the ridiculous cost of servicing I don't think I would buy another one. By comparison when I was working I used Suzuki bikes for a 70 mile commute all through the year. The magazines always criticise Suzuki finish but a wash once a week and a WD40 spray kept them fine and I never had any troubles. Wouldn't fancy treating a Ducati the same way.