PDA

View Full Version : Ebay,used DP seat now dearer than a new one!

Dave G
09-08-2006, 11:47 AM
This is entertaining,I think I'll buy me another one from Ducati at £110 and shove it on ebay for quick profit.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230013302505&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Hope its no-one here bidding.:banghead:

sjr999r
09-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Been caught..:thumbsdown: but also made money ;) ;) :D

dazzi-b
09-08-2006, 11:53 AM
That's one of the good things about ebay.........it attracts so many armchair shoppers who can't be bothered going out and picking stuff up cheaper from the shops themselves.

Mind you.....you can bag a bargain on ebay sometimes :mand:

gary tompkins
09-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Obviously some are unaware DP seats are now about 1/2 price from Ducati

GT.. proud owner of a £105 + vat DP Gel seat ;)

MilesB
09-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Obviously some are unaware DP seats are now about 1/2 price from Ducati
GT.. proud owner of a £105 + vat DP Gel seat ;)
As one of the first owners of one of these fine (essential) pieces of equipment, it's nice to know that you are all benefiting from my initial investment :Furious: :nash: :grump: :grump: :hissy: :cry:

gary tompkins
09-08-2006, 04:29 PM
As one of the first owners of one of these fine (essential) pieces of equipment, it's nice to know that you are all benefiting from my initial investment :Furious: :nash: :grump: :grump: :hissy: :cry:

Ahh... but it may be some comfort to know my seat still didn't fit any better than yours did. What is it with DP accessories - does the quality & fit come as an optional extra?

Oh well at least my arse notices the difference :p

Meteor
09-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Looking at the Ducati site it appears that the gel seat is only suitable for 2000/2001 models onwards. I think that models form this date have a slightly rvised tank shape and the seat was changed to suit.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to fit a '98 900?

wetsump
11-08-2006, 08:55 PM
I was also watching the seat on FleaBay and thought the price was going a bit too high. Having recently ridden from Berkshire to Lincolnshire and back over a weekend, my numb-bum was crying out for something a little more forgiving to sit on. The standard seat is fine for an hour or so (in my experience), but three hours on the seat was a bit too much. Perhaps that is why the fuel tank has such a low capacity - forces you to take a break and have a walk. (125miles before low fuel light came on)

I am also interested to know if the gel seat discussed will fit a '97 M900.

gary tompkins
11-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Don't think the DP seat fits the earlier (pre 2000) monsters - the web site certainly only lists it as fitting later models?

http://www.ducati.com/shop/category.jsp?catid=cat970160

Corbin & Sargent both make seats to fit early spec monsters, and although expensive (Sargent quoted around £240 incl vat + £10 shipping to UK) are a big improvement on standard.

http://www.corbin.com/ducati/monster.shtml

http://www.sargentcycle.com/ducwsmonster.htm

Gilps
12-08-2006, 06:38 AM
So, is the DP seat as good as Corbin or Sargent, and will the seat cowl still fit? I've read the Corbin thread/debate on here with interest and have been put off it by the forced change in riding position. I like the position on the standard seat as I'm a shorty and don't want to be pushed back. Also, the exisitng seat is not too uncomfortable for me. I did 800 miles on it last week with just a bit of ache in the hips, but if there is something better I may be tempted.

gary tompkins
12-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Glips,
If you can manage 800 miles on the standard seat - then save your money and stick with it. I was getting numb bum after 80-100miles but the GEL seat's pretty much doubled that. The last time I did over 700 miles in a weekend on the standard seat it took 2 days for my backside to recover. AFAIK the cowl fits both Corbin and Sargent seats.

Albie deffo runs his S4 (Corbin) cowled on the rare occasion he can keep Caroline off the pillion ;) I was contemplating a Sargent seat for the trike as I prefer the shape to the Corbin, and had been corresponding with them via email on prices & delivery to UK. However Ducati's 1/2 price reduction on the GEL seat swung it in favour of that option.

cerebus
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
For those of you with the Ducati Performance gel seat, does it have gel for the pillion as well ? I am generally OK on mine, but my wife finds it very uncomfortable on the back after about 30 miles.

MilesB
12-08-2006, 12:29 PM
For those of you with the Ducati Performance gel seat, does it have gel for the pillion as well ? I am generally OK on mine, but my wife finds it very uncomfortable on the back after about 30 miles.
Absolutely - pillion perch is much more comfortable, plus as it compresses more, you feel like you are sitting 'in' it as opposed to perched on top of a backwards slope.

Chaos Inc.
14-08-2006, 08:52 AM
For those of you that got the seat from me remember, that is a price I give to club members, not the standard retail price.

benson
14-08-2006, 10:20 AM
So how much do you charge to club members for the seat then??? Might be tempted....

Bodybag
14-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Looking at the Ducati site it appears that the gel seat is only suitable for 2000/2001 models onwards. I think that models form this date have a slightly rvised tank shape and the seat was changed to suit.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to fit a '98 900?
From what I can gather, and I say this as a 2001 owner, the 2000 on model has a single pin mounting point to lock it to the frame whereas the older bikes have a different mounting mechanism. Thats why the seat won't fit older models. And, yes, the cowl does fit over the Gel seat although its rather snug.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Chaos Inc.
16-08-2006, 08:47 AM
So how much do you charge to club members for the seat then??? Might be tempted....

Sorry, been away so only answering now. At present it would be £110 inc vat + p&p if it's to be sent off.

If you supply a standard Kate Beckinsale I will do it for free. NB in the flesh, photo's do not count, and in lust with me. [what can I say, willing to sell soul for gun toting vampire in leather catsuit]

benson
16-08-2006, 03:41 PM
I will be saving up for the seat sadly rather than ofering Kate B - but will certainly let you know when I have enough pocket money and should like to buy one!!!!:rolleyes:

Darry
16-08-2006, 03:53 PM

Nope sorry, not in the one I just got. The diagram supplied shows that the gel is just in riders position.

D.