PDA

View Full Version : S4Rs recall- oil pump cover screws

Guzzirider
09-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Had a letter from Ducati UK this morning saying that my S4Rs was being recalled due to the possibility of the oil pump cover screws being loose.

Its in for its first service tomorrow so its no hassle and I am sure its no big deal but thought I would post this so that any S4Rs owners who have been missed on the mailing could find out.

I will take a peak at my bike this evening to see if I can see owt wrong.

Guy

NuTTs
09-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Had a letter from Ducati UK this morning saying that my S4Rs was being recalled due to the possibility of the oil pump cover screws being loose.

Its in for its first service tomorrow so its no hassle and I am sure its no big deal but thought I would post this so that any S4Rs owners who have been missed on the mailing could find out.

I will take a peak at my bike this evening to see if I can see owt wrong.

Guy
Hi I have an Rs also and haven't rec'd any letter from Ducati.. yet. Do you know if only UK machines are affected?

Regards,

NuTTs

Guzzirider
09-08-2006, 12:52 PM
No elaboration I am afraid- just says contact your dealer asap cos if screws become loose it could result in serious damage to your engine components.

Thats it!

Regards

Guy

NuTTs
09-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Okay, thanks! I've just had the 10,000km/6,000mile service done last week - I hope they tightened everything down ok. I'll take a peek when I get home tonight anyway.

Guy, have you had the front mudguard touch the radiator under heavy braking? I've had it happen 3 times so far and I've found via the DML (www.ducatimonster.org) and via my dealer that some Rs bikes are affected by this. The fix is adding more Ohlins oil to the forks.

Regards,

NuTTs

Guzzirider
09-08-2006, 02:25 PM
No have not noticed that problem yet and I'm pretty heavy on the brakes. What I have done though is beef up the compression damping on the forks by 2 clicks because I noticed they were diving too much on the standard settings.

Maybe this has helped.

Guy

emily's driver
09-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the info, will check them out this avo, as I am off on a rideout tonight. Will have to run it down to the dealer soon I guess.

emily's driver
09-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Okay, thanks! I've just had the 10,000km/6,000mile service done last week - I hope they tightened everything down ok. I'll take a peek when I get home tonight anyway.

Guy, have you had the front mudguard touch the radiator under heavy braking? I've had it happen 3 times so far and I've found via the DML (www.ducatimonster.org) and via my dealer that some Rs bikes are affected by this. The fix is adding more Ohlins oil to the forks.

Regards,

NuTTs

Not noticed this one either, though I figure I was braking that hard with those ooog radial calipers, it is more likely to be me impacting something rather than the mudguard itself.

Guzzirider
09-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Did you see in this months TWO magazine Whitham said they were the best brakes on any road bike he had ridden full stop, and better than many of his race bikes?

They definitely work!

Guy

NuTTs
09-08-2006, 02:51 PM
yep, it's a pity they don't think too much of the bikes suspension/chassis. My Rs was a bit soggy as standard but I've had 1cm of ride height added and 2.5 turns of preload at the back and 2 turns of preload up front. the static sag has been greatly reduced and the bike is definately more lively!

I'd like Whitham to try out an Rs with the suspension sorted for his weight, I'm sure he'd think better of the suspension then.

Guzzirider
09-08-2006, 02:59 PM
I've found mine to be much better too since I adjusted the suspension. I am 15 stone and when new, it felt as the back of the bike was sitting too low.

Yesterday I beefed up the rear preload a fair bit which has definitely helped, plus I added in 2 clicks of front compression to reduce dive, and 2 clicks of rebound to cater for the fuggin bumpy roads we have around here.

I think I am nearly there now- I took it for a 100 mile test ride last night over the local moors and it steered much better and the front end was improved for sure. I'll try and add a bit of rebound for the rear too, as it does not feel as good over the bumps as the Ohlins on my Guzzi.

What affect has increasing your front preload made? More stability? Has this made it steer any slower?

Guy

P.S. I am surprised the Ohlins rear shock does not have a remote preload adjuster. Its easy enough to get to but all their aftermarket shocks now have remote adjusters as standard.

NuTTs
09-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Adding front preload has reduced some of the dive I was getting.. I weigh 16 stone something (102kg), however, during really hard braking my front fender scrapes the radiator - according to Desmotron (Spanish Ducati importer) it is a known issue and they´ll resolve it for me soon. I´ll try adding a couple of clicks of compression damping when I´m back from holidays and we´ll see if that does it any good.. actually I´ll do it tonight and try it out.

I was also expecting a remote reservoir for the Ohlins but I guess what we´ve got will have to do!

MJV
09-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I've also just received the letter from Ducati, anyone got an idea what "serious damage to engine components" means?

I had issues with front mudguard marks, spoke to the great guys at Motorapido, they adjusted by a couple of clicks for me, feels much better, and now dosn't "bottom out". I'm 17 stone, and use a lot of front brake, a couple of my mates beleive i'm not using enough rear, anyone got any comments? A good tip also is to add a small ty-wrap around the fork slider, after a good ride out you can see the amount of compression your getting, and can then adjust preload as required.

Guzzirider
09-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I guess if the anything happens to the oil pump then it could cause oil starvation- hopefully Ducati are just covering their backs because I have not yet heard of any problems with the S4Rs.

I have adjusted the rear brake pedal to near its max height but its still not easy to reach it with my foot, so end up using the front only most of the time.

sidrat
09-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Not had a letter yet, but mine is in for the 6000 mile service next week so will ask. With regard to the suspension, i raised the back 1 inch, in ride height, then paid £40 at the track day to the Ohlins techy guy who had three goes at the suspension, definate improvement, but i think for the road the compression damping is a bit hard on the front. My mudguard also hits the radiator, but usually only braking very hard two up.

emily's driver
09-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Any ideas on adjusting the suspension for us lighter riders. I was always led to believe most bikes that left the factory, irrespective of model were set up for a nominal 12 stone rider and I am closer to ten. Had a HyperPro conversion done to my 748 a few years back and that made a huge improvement. Guess I would need to soften the bike up front and rear. Any suggestions (apart from eat more !)

Guzzirider
09-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Does this help? http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/motorcycle_suspension.html

I guess logically if preload is increased for heavier riders it should be decreased for lighter ones.

One thing I noticed is that the spring for the rear Ohlins on the S4Rs is rated up to 105kgs, whereas my Guzzi Ohlins spring is only rated to 85kgs so maybe they were expecting the S4Rs to be popular with pie eaters.

Guy

NuTTs
10-08-2006, 06:37 AM
The Rs does seem a bit unbalanced out of the crate - maybe Ducati should think about getting the suspension set up for an average rider on real EU roads before shipping them out.. God knows they cost enough and anyone buying one would expect everything to be 100% when a bike costs so much.

Guzzirider
10-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Had the recall work done today at Ducati Leeds- did not get a chance to talk to the mechanic to see exactly what was done as I arrived at closing time and it was a big rush, but I understood that it took them a long time- not a 5 minute job. I'm going back next week in the car to collect my OE pipes so hopefully will get a chance for a chat then.

Bike feels so much better with Termis- they look and sound great, and the fuelling feels so much better and more linear at lower revs.

After yesterdays posts I also added 2 clicks of front preload, and little extra rebound on the rear and I am now finally happy with the settings front and rear.

I'm really enjoying my Monster- it gets better every day!

Guy

STORMIE
10-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi all, i've just brought my S4Rs, what a fantastic bike, goes in for its first service this saturday @ coventry so i will ask them about the recall.

i haven't come across the problem with the front mudguard yet and i do brake hard, very hard with the front, i weight about 15 stone, the front brakes are awsome though.

i do find the suspession a bit soft at the front and will try a few clicks.

i notice some of you have after market slip on cans, i was wondering where you got them from as iv'e looked on the web but can't seem to find any decent ones.

NuTTs
11-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Guzzirider - how do your silencers fit the mid pipes.. do the silencers fit slip in completely or are they half out? everyone I know with the full termi kit has the same problem - the silencer bracket termignoni supply with the kit is wrong and causes the exhaust to leak etc.

stormie - check out Zard high level cans, they look awesome!