PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 19th August - Planet Thanet Run

MilesB
07-08-2006, 10:07 PM
OK folks, who's up for a trip to Broadstairs via many other picturesque places for Ice-cream & fish 'n' chips etc.;)
Can Gully remember an umbrella? Will Bob overdose on ice-cream.? Join us & find out!

We'll be stopping for a look around the Manston RAF Museum enroute - entrace is a measly £1.00 so we can all afford that, with the Spifire and Hurricane Memorials next door.

This year (weather permitting) the "Kent Kastle Kompetion" will be held involving a bucket, sand & a plastic spade (no industrial diggers or shovels allowed ) There will be a trophy for the winner - sez Lady-Bob :D .

I think first meet point will be the Oakdene, then along the M20 to Junction 8, and off down the A20 to Charing, and cross country to the distant Isle...

Be there, or be somewhere else...

Gadget
08-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Don't work Saturday.
Cu4 breakfast.

:)

Manda
08-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Depends on weather and what time we'de get back as im going out that evening, otherwise im up for it :thumbsup:

Lady-Bob
08-08-2006, 09:10 AM
If memory serves me (which it doesn't often so, really, i'm just guessing!)

I thought we left Broadstairs at around 3pm last year?

The fish & chips went down very well, although I saved myself for the icey-cream at Chiappinis Ice Cream Parlour (homemade Icecream- yummmmmm!)

Manda
08-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Mmm sounds good to me. My geography is crap, how long roughly would it take to get back from Broadstairs to down Souff? :fou:

MilesB
08-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Mmm sounds good to me. My geography is crap, how long roughly would it take to get back from Broadstairs to down Souff? :fou:
To a certain extent, it depends on which route :confused: - and how fast you are going :mand: . I suspect about 1 & 1/2 hours if going via A299 (Thanet Way), M2, M20, and then cross country. How long did it take you to get to the Oakdene last time?

Miles

Manda
08-08-2006, 10:09 AM
It would of taken me an hour if the plod didnt slow me down!

MilesB
08-08-2006, 10:27 AM
It would of taken me an hour if the plod didnt slow me down!
+ 45 mins Thanet to Oakdene, so total 1 3/4 hours Thanet to Lewes... I would probably allow 2 - just in case ;)
Of course, as you are a 'grown up' you can go early without having to bring a note from your Mum :mand:

Manda
08-08-2006, 10:40 AM
I'll be there then, if my mum gets me up and dressed in time! :D

Lady-Bob
08-08-2006, 12:33 PM
If it's easier... you could always meet us at the RAF Manston Museum, to save you dead mileage up to the Oakdene?

Manda
08-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Dont confuse me :confused: I know my way to Oakdene, so it'll be easier to meet up there. Its the ride home from Broadstairs that'll be interesting, i'll forest gump it back!

scrapps
08-08-2006, 03:47 PM
ooo not sure its a bit rough in that part of kent :freak: but may make the long trip east...:biggrin: if ice cream on the menu..

benson
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Ice cream....:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Chips.....:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Fish to go with chips.......:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes please! I think it would be best to meet you all there really - seeing as I'm out the night before and my going to bed skills along side my drinkging skills aren't that well honed so let me know what time you aim to be somewhere and where it is you aim to be and I will meet you!!!
:ukm:

MilesB
10-08-2006, 08:00 AM
OK, so far thats:

MilesB
Susan
Manda
GaryN
Lady-Bob
Benson

Yes please! I think it would be best to meet you all there really - seeing as I'm out the night before and my going to bed skills along side my drinkging skills aren't that well honed so let me know what time you aim to be somewhere and where it is you aim to be and I will meet you!!!
:ukm:

Rachel - I'll post up a meet point later, but I suggest the RAF Manston Museum, which is pretty easy to find - over the bridge into Kent and turn left... keep going :biggrin:

benson
10-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Miles now those sound like my sort of directions!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

scrapps
11-08-2006, 09:51 AM
yo miles you missed me off the list:grump: or can me and new bird not come and play,you are just scared we have been down beach and made lots of sand castles.:biggrin:

Manda
11-08-2006, 10:09 AM
So has it gotta be a castle? or anything built out of sand, cos i build a speed boat or F1 car for the kids when im down the beach. Kids love it:moto: Maybe build a monster? :scratch:

nik_the_brief
11-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Count me in - maybe (possibly with an additional son hanging off the back).

Not sure yet though - have to check with the social secretary when I get home to see if I have a day pass as we're off on holiday on the Monday after.

If I do will meet up at Manston.

MilesB
11-08-2006, 01:54 PM
yo miles you missed me off the list:grump: or can me and new bird not come and play,you are just scared we have been down beach and made lots of sand castles.:biggrin:
Appologies - not intentional, so...

MilesB
Susan
Manda
GaryN
Lady-Bob
Benson
Scrapps & Jackie
Nik-the-Brief & Son ??? (sounds like a right dodgy firm :chuckle: )

benson
11-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Scrapps - has new bird got a name - could prove difficult when we meet her otherwise!!!

scrapps
11-08-2006, 07:49 PM
yep jackie as miles has listed above (well remembered miles):scratch:

alan c
12-08-2006, 02:37 PM
add me to list please miles, can i bring my new parrot ?

MilesB
12-08-2006, 02:56 PM
MilesB
Susan
Manda
GaryN
Lady-Bob
Benson
Scrapps & Jackie
Nik-the-Brief & Son ??? (sounds like a right dodgy firm :chuckle:
AlanC

benson
12-08-2006, 07:15 PM
God what a wet crap day weather wise!!! Wanted to go out for a long ride but ended up in Bluewater where much financial damage was committed....oh dear - why die in credit

ANYWAY - can you let me know what time you think you'll be at the meet up place - the museum doodah? Yeah I know it's a week away but I might be away this week with work without my internet access so I just thought I'd try to be organised....Doubtful I know but the intention is good!!!!

MilesB
13-08-2006, 12:21 PM
ANYWAY - can you let me know what time you think you'll be at the meet up place - the museum doodah? Yeah I know it's a week away but I might be away this week with work without my internet access so I just thought I'd try to be organised....Doubtful I know but the intention is good!!!!
I think we should aim to get to Manston RAF Museum between 11:30am and 12:00 (midday), planning on leaving there at 1:00pm to go find some lunch (Fish & Chips :D ) at Broadstairs... so as long as you are at the Museum by 1pm you should be OK.

Location of Museum is:
http://www.rafmanston.co.uk/how_to_find_us.html

Miles

benson
13-08-2006, 12:25 PM
You're a gem Miles - thank you!

Spud
13-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Was going to sunny Broadstairs anyway that day on my bike - can i tag along too? Won't come back as i'm staying on to visit with my Mum & Dad who are staying there as part of atrip back from the US of A

MilesB
13-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Was going to sunny Broadstairs anyway that day on my bike - can i tag along too?
The more the merrier - where do you want to meet up?

Spud
13-08-2006, 06:04 PM
I'm coming down from Cambridge area, so wherever you men / ladies of kent - are starting is good for me. I've seen the Oakdene mentioned on the site before - if that's the starting point, that'll do.

Of course I haven't got the first clue where it is, but that's a minor stumbling block!

MilesB
13-08-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm coming down from Cambridge area, so wherever you men / ladies of kent - are starting is good for me. I've seen the Oakdene mentioned on the site before - if that's the starting point, that'll do.

Of course I haven't got the first clue where it is, but that's a minor stumbling block!
That'll be here

The Oakdene Cafe: http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?pc=TN157RR

If you can get there before we leave at 10:30-10:45ish, no worries. If you get there earlier you can get a good (second?) breakfast:rolleyes:

Lady-Bob
14-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Will be nice to meet Spud.

Come on the rest of you Kent Lot... there's a trophy up for grabs if the weather is conducive to Sandcastle building!

So bring your buckets and spades and put your name down on the list:

MilesB - Oakdene
Susan - Oakdene
Manda - Oakdene
GaryN - Oakdene
Lady-Bob - Oakdene
Strumpet - Oakdene
Benson - Manston Museum
Scrapps & Jackie - ?
Nik-the-Brief & Son ??? (sounds like a right dodgy firm)
AlanC - Oakdene
Spud - Oakdene

Sadly Bumble has to work that day.

Manda
14-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Get Bumble to throw a sickie!

MilesB
14-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Oakdene - Leave by 10:30 to 10:45 latest:
Manda, GaryN, Lady-Bob, Strumpet, AlanC, Spud.

M20 Junction 8 (Leeds Castle turn off) on A20 10:45-11:00ish
MilesB & Susan

Manston Museum leaving here at 1pm
Benson

Scrapps & Jackie - Manston Museum ??
Nik-the-Brief & Son ???

Weather forecast is currently a bit wet, but it's 6 days away so we may be OK - fortunately the Museum is under cover - so we can always hide there if it rains.

benson
14-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Hello all - right then, I've got the directions and the timings so hopefully all should be OK!!!!!

If it is doing what it is doing at the moment though - i.e. pouring with thunder - I'm afraid I'll be staying here and playing moto gp on PS2 - it's horrid out there at the mo so let's hope that things improve for the weekend!!!!!

Have good weeks - I am trying a failing to work from home - never mind....

Lady-Bob
14-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Would everyone please note that I have lost my mobile phone :cry:

So if you need to conatct anyone on the day PLEASE don't text me!!!

I believe Gully may not be able to make it due to other commitments.

GaryT, could you please text Critch and see if he'd like to come out and play? (Could you also ask him to look at paintballing thread as I need some money from him - thanks)

scrapps
15-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Hi all we will meet you at manston weather permiting:D , safe ride down folks :spin:

GULLY
16-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Hi Guys and Girls
I am out to play on sat but to the musuem only
Must be home about 2pm
see you at the cafe about 9.30 big brekkie

see you sat
Gully:D

Spud
16-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Weather forecast not looking very promising, what's the score ladies and gentlemen - go regardless?

MilesB
16-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Weather forecast not looking very promising, what's the score ladies and gentlemen - go regardless?
Rain - pah - we fear no rain :pedro:

The last time I looked (Metcheck) it was showing 'mildly moist'... so we may skip the sandcastles on the beach, but the Museum is under cover, as are the Fish & Chips and Ice Creams.

I thought you were going on a family mission anyway? - so no excuses.

(Seriously, we'll make an executive decision on Friday)

Miles

Lady-Bob
17-08-2006, 12:24 PM
To be blunt........

IF YOU WANT BREAKFAST AT THE OAKDENE - GET THERE EARLY
We will be leaving somewhere between 10.30 - 10.45 so make sure you've been fed, tanked up and had a jimmy riddle before 10.30 PLEASE!! :chuckle: :bunny:

Feel free to bring your buckets and spades (seaside ones... not industrial!)

Trophy is being picked up from the shop today.

benson
17-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Hope that the sun might shine for us on this one - all being well I will be the photographer for the sandcastles and shief consumer of ice cream and ships though not necessarily in that order!!!

MilesB
17-08-2006, 02:49 PM
...shief consumer of ice cream and ships though not necessarily in that order!!!
Are we talking big ships, or just small boats :chuckle: :mand:

benson
17-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Oh god - that's a good one!!!!:shocked:

Actually, given my typo I forsee the consumption of a rather large tanker load!!!!!:p

patinthehat
17-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Sorry I can't make it to this one - I'm off to the V festival. Hope you all have a great time though.

benson
17-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Enjoy the festival - and I am mightily impressed with your location - sounds somewhat dubious - where in the hell is Lyminge???:eek:

he he he:mand: :mand: :mand:

MilesB
18-08-2006, 01:14 PM
...waterproofs. :hissy:

Forecast is for showers - which I seem to remember it was last year too. Some of us managed to stay dry, whilst others got soggy on the way home. Just come prepared so you don't get too soggy.

Miles

gary tompkins
18-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Hope to put in an appearance but depends on weather. Don't mind going for it if reasonably dry first thing - but may give it a miss if it's lashing down from the kick off. I'll be at cafe for brekkie if it looks ok when I get up, and pack the proofs in case we get caught in rain later.

Think I'll pass on Popham meet on Sunday - as JMo said it's a long way ride in the rain :cry:

benson
18-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Hi All - it's been pouring down here all day :thumbsdown: and if it's doing the same thing in the morning then I won't be playing out- all being well I'll see you at the museum but if I'm not there then don't wait for me cos I'll be sheltering in the lounge with my playstation iof the weather's shi*t!!!:woot:

Lady-Bob
18-08-2006, 06:53 PM
...waterproofs. :hissy:

Forecast is for showers - which I seem to remember it was last year too. Some of us managed to stay dry, whilst others got soggy on the way home. Just come prepared so you don't get too soggy.

Miles

I remember, it was cloudy on the way down, beautiful sunshine whilst there and then it spat a little on the way home for me Slob and Gully.

Kan't Kancel the Kent Kastle Kompetition.... Trophy already has 2006 engraved on it!!

Lady-Bob
18-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Enjoy the festival - and I am mightily impressed with your location - sounds somewhat dubious - where in the hell is Lyminge???:eek:

he he he:mand: :mand: :mand:

To be read in a country bumpkin kinda voice................

Go daaaaarn t' deppest darrkest bowels o' Kent coun'ryssoide, then turn left at the kings arms an' thaat be Lyminge miy pet!

MilesB
18-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Sorry folks - looks like I'm going down with some sort of lurgy... I started feeling a bit crook last night, but went to work OK, only to get worse during the day... came home early and went to bed. This means I won't be going :(

I'm sure you'll cope OK without me... the planned route is as follows:
Oakdene > M20 to Junction 8 (Leeds Castle turn off) > A20 to Charing > A252 through Challock to Chilham > join the A28 to Canterbury, Sturry and Sarre > A253 to Manston.

Basically get on the A20 towards Ashford, then follow signs to Canterbury; at Canterbury follow signs to Ramsgate, then Manston Airport. The Museum is signposted.

Have fun.

If I feel up to it I'll finish putting new handlebars on the Monster.

Miles

nik_the_brief
18-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Me neither I'm afraid.

The best laid plans etc. Tis the weekend before we go on holiday - off to Dublin onMonday and have two builders coming to the house about an extension as well as the missus having to go off to get her hair done (not extensions though) so no can do for me either.

Sorry guys, Bob there will be a cheque in the post for my fee and ammo!!!

Gadget
18-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I've still got me bucket and spade ready. See you all at Oakdene for 2nd breakfast. The BBC weather forecast at dinner time had it a little damp AM but fine PM in the east of the county.
Probably wishful thinking but a day out by the sea regardless.:)

Lady-Bob
19-08-2006, 06:48 AM
I have found my mobile (hurrah!)

I'm having brekkie at Oakdene first so I'll be there for about 9.30am. Trophy and towel ready and waiting. Orders for a stick of rock for Samantha! :bunny:

Hope you feel better soon Milesb.

Nik, you'd better post me the twinki with your paintballing cheque.... you DO still have the twinkie huh?! :worried:

benson
19-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Glad you found the phone Lady Bob!!!

I'm afraid I've given this a miss - it was pouring then sunny then pouring some more this morning

Hope you all had a fab time and have eaten your bodyweight in ice cream!!!

:chuckle: :chuckle:

gary tompkins
19-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks to LadyBob for organising for a great day out today.

Much Fish 'n' chips and icecream was quaffed at Broadstairs.

The weather surprisingly good so the sand castle competition went ahead as planned - hopefully pictures to follow :thumbsup:

Hope Gully and Manda got back home ok after leaving us at Manston?

Gully said he had a BBQ to get back to - but I think he was trying to avoid being crapped on by the birds again :chuckle:

alan c
19-08-2006, 06:42 PM
thanks everybody for great day out, off on holiday on wed, see you all soon, alan c.

scrapps
19-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks very much for a great day out from myself and Jackie. Hope you'll all be back next year to challenge me for the sand castle competition:nash: , will have to get new bucket as gave mine away due to lack of luggage room. Unlike Gary we dont all carry everything except the kitchen sink. Shame the wet wipes had to give way for the bucket and spade:banghead: , as we needed them as Bob is such a mucky pup.:worried:

GULLY
19-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks to LadyBob for organising for a great day out today.

Much Fish 'n' chips and icecream was quaffed at Broadstairs.

The weather surprisingly good so the sand castle competition went ahead as planned - hopefully pictures to follow :thumbsup:

Hope Gully and Manda got back home ok after leaving us at Manston?

Gully said he had a BBQ to get back to - but I think he was trying to avoid being crapped on by the birds again :chuckle:

Hi Gary, you have hit the nail on the head - I was petrified of going there again as I have nightmares re-living that ordeal. BBQ was good.

Thanks for a great day out guys, sorry I had to leave early.

Bob, sorry I did not say goodbye but I could not see you and I had to leave.

Gully

Gadget
20-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Wonderful time had by all. :thumbsup:

The rain stayed far enough away and the sun came out. What more could we have asked for?

Tea and Cake at Manston, burgers and icecream enjoyed in Broadstairs.

Well done Scrapps for winning sandcastle competition.

Manda
21-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Got home ok eventually, think i came off the motorway too early, ended up ducking off and went past Brands Hatch instead of following signs for M25 to Gatwick, boring! Wished i could of stayed to build sand castles and stuff chips and ice-cream. Cant wait to see the photos of the castles and the trophie won by Scrapps. Good to see everyone, hope to see ya soon.

Manda

Lady-Bob
29-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Sorry these are a bit late.

Been a bit busy of late!

Lady-Bob
29-08-2006, 01:14 PM
More of the museum and ice cream etc! ...

Lady-Bob
29-08-2006, 01:32 PM
The to the Kent Kastle Kompetition.......

Lady-Bob
29-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Final couple of fotos...

gary tompkins
29-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Nice photo's :D

MilesB
29-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Now gutted I missed it - but I really wasn't up to it at the time.

Albie
29-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Looked like fun. We was playing sandcastles on a black roasting beach. Bloody hot too it was. I got me a nice tan.:rolleyes: Actually we missed going on that run. Well dissapointed when we saw the posting.:worried:

GULLY
29-08-2006, 09:22 PM
The pics are great :thumbsup:
I do hope you guys got planning permission for some of those sandcastles.

cheers
Gully

Lady-Bob
30-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Nice photo's :D

Only made nice with a little help from my friends ;)

So, basically, those who didn't make it missed out on a great day.

Brekkie at the Oakdene whilst waiting for the clouds to clear.

I managed to get round both museums at Manston (The RAF museum AND the Spitfire Museum) where the sunshine was glorious.

Scrapps & Jackie had the largest plate of fish and chips in the world (very good value for money I thought)

Scrapps, Ray, myself and GaryN had some great icecream whilst GaryT chased his as it melted all over his arm (t'would have been easier if he'd used a cornet!!!!!)

Then a manic 20 min Kastle Kompetion with a pukka trophy for the winner (even tho I say so myself!!:D ) However, it did feel more like 40 minutes that 20 :look:

And everyone got home dry I believe. :woot:

Lady-Bob
30-08-2006, 09:28 AM
The pics are great :thumbsup:
I do hope you guys got planning permission for some of those sandcastles.

cheers
Gully

I have a strange feeling that there's gonna be a bit of rivalry next year. Kastles planned out on large pieces of paper beforehand, espionage and sabotage!

I'm already thinking of my next Kastle..... might pop down to the seaside in May '07 just to practice building whilst being timed!! :chuckle: