PDA

View Full Version : Fly With Me

eonan
04-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Just made the last modification to the 750...before starting on the 900 :spin: It’s something that from the very beginning I’ve hummed and hawed about, after getting so many mixed opinions as to whether it was a good idea or not. Some folks seemed to like the difference, others found it intolerable.

So…the lightened fly wheel (Nichols), what do I think? Well without a shadow of a doubt, it is simply the best modification made to that bike yet…by a mile (after the FCR’s of course ;))

I absolutely love it!!! There's a huge increase in responsiveness, with the power now much easier to hold up. Even in the top gears there seems to be a huge amount of accelerating oomph left to play with. Shifting is easier, especially down, and the whole bike just feels more planted...apart from accelerating in 1st or 2nd...it takes a bit of effort to keep that front wheel down. Other than that I actually feel far more in control of the bike.

I’ve already ordered one for the 900…it really is that good :thumbsup:

Pugi
04-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Good to know it works well with Keihins. I was worried it would be too quick off the mark and useless in lower gears.
How has it affected engine braking?

eonan
04-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Good to know it works well with Keihins. I was worried it would be too quick off the mark and useless in lower gears.
How has it affected engine braking?

Reduced by quite a bit...which really suits me actually. I was finding the engine breaking to be a bit too extreme to be honest. Now I feel much more confident at approaching bends at higher speeds, using the brakes to scrub off the speed and not worrying so much about potentally suddenly upsetting the balance with a down shift. Blipping the throttle before had to be far more accurate...although not such a bad thing to have learnt first :thumbsup:

Bodybag
04-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Any pics of the finished article?

Pugi
04-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Reduced by quite a bit...

Reduced? I would have expected the contrary. Am I missing something here? I thought that the heavier flywheel (stock) meant more inertia and hence less engine braking. I have to google the function of the flywheel now.

eonan
04-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Can't give the reasons mate, just my experience on the bike...and that's good enough for me. I guess the lighter weight allows the engine to change speed faster (less resistance), which is why on a downshift the engine braking is decreased.

Shandy
04-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Can't give the reasons mate, just my experience on the bike...and that's good enough for me. I guess the lighter weight allows the engine to change speed faster (less resistance), which is why on a downshift the engine braking is decreased.

Yep that will be spot on, the lighter weight = lower inertial mass spinning around in the engine resulting in less engine braking as its mucho lighter so can't hold the bike back as much.

Very interesting mod this one eonan, this is going on the list for consideration for that winter project :biggrin: It might be just my bad riding :look: but a couple of times under heavy braking I’ve dropped down a gear to far and when letting the clutch out the rear wheel locked up for an instant :eyepopping:

Zimbo
04-08-2006, 11:35 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=15534