PDA

View Full Version : How many bolts...

Bodybag
28-07-2006, 11:49 PM
...Do I need to check every morning before I ride Beelzebub?

My normal morning pre ride routine has just increased by two more bolts as of today and I discovered it in a most ignominious way!!

Normally, before I get on and ride, I have to check all the clutch plate bolts and the side stand bolts (they seem to be able to rattle themselves loose in a couple of hundred miles)!

Rode to Trowbridge this morning and as I came off a roundabout there was an almighty grinding noise as though something was about to fall off. Not good, thought I so I pulled over and tried to work out what todays missing item might be.

Turns out that one of the two chain adjustment bolts on the back of the swingarm had come loose, the retaining plate had swung round and jammed againt the wheel, milling all the paint and some of the wheel away!! :(

Not only that but it had bent the end of the swingarm too!! No time to sort it there so I had to ride over to Riders in Bristol to get a temporary fix done. It was nearly 6pm when I got there. Top work by them to get me back on the road to Leicester.

Just a word of warning then to check bolts that hold loose swingy type things before you go for a long ride out.

That wasn't the end of the days problems though, oh no, not nearly enough trouble for Bodybag yet, so I also managed this one too...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=177021#post177021

On the plus side though, I did get divorced today. :mand: At bleedin' last!!

pooh
28-07-2006, 11:55 PM
When you tighten the chain tighten the axle bolts then tighten the adjuster bolts again even the Ducati technicians get this wrong.

Ian

Scotty
29-07-2006, 08:05 AM
yup ive doen that one :(

crust
29-07-2006, 08:46 AM
drill a small hole ( 1mm ) through the top of the swinging arm and through the plate

bit of lockwire and no more worries

bit of loctite threadlock should sort the other bolts

:)Crust