PDA

View Full Version : First Duke - Lumpy Ride ?

MIKE SANDERSON
26-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Hello All - I've been away from bikes for a wee while and just bought a 750 dark (2003) ooohhh I've missed it. First ride and I thought twins were lazey lumps to ride but this is very snatchy and judders at low revs. Is this normal? It seems to love full throttle but grumbles in town. I've been used to Honda and Suzuki perfromance and sort of did not expect this. I've no tacho so have to guess. In any event I'm still buzzin - I love it.

rxtim
26-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the club.

It don't think it should be like that. I assume you have checked the obvious things like chain, clutch, etc. When was it last serviced?

Of course you may just need to drop down a gear!

Will
26-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Hello All - I've been away from bikes for a wee while and just bought a 750 dark (2003) ooohhh I've missed it. First ride and I thought twins were lazey lumps to ride but this is very snatchy and judders at low revs. Is this normal? It seems to love full throttle but grumbles in town. I've been used to Honda and Suzuki perfromance and sort of did not expect this. I've no tacho so have to guess. In any event I'm still buzzin - I love it.

It depends what you call low revs - if you let the revs drop too far in too high a gear then it will be very lumpy and snatchy. I am used to twins and found 4-cylinder K1200s Beemer a bit odd the first time I rode one, as it would pull incredibly smoothly from almost tickover in any gear- by comparison a Ducati air cooled twin is incredibly lumpy and snatchy at low revs (1500rpm say) you will need to slip the clutch to keep the revs up a bit.

Yorkie
26-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the club!

They all do that! Just keep the revs up a bit and it wont judder! See you on a ride out at some point!

Yorkie.

Steggz
26-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Yeah sounds right to me. Just be careful not to look a tit in public :-) A revvy little twin really, loves the higher range - Ducati for ya. Others pull all round the range, my Ducati' dosnt, but a performance induced engine doesn't tend to. Out the factory with hunger for the throttle , don't starve it! That would be most cruel.....

MIKE SANDERSON
26-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi all - thanks for your comments - only been to Scarborough and back (108 miles) I will give it a week or so to get used to it. The bike came serviced at 3k back in April and all looks ok - maybe some through pipes could help Has anyone fitted a digital tacho to a Monster or anyone know of a new dash with tacho included ?

MIKE SANDERSON
26-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi all - thanks for your comments - only been to Scarborough and back (108 miles) I will give it a week or so to get used to it. The bike came serviced at 3k back in April and all looks ok - maybe some through pipes could help Has anyone fitted a digital tacho to a Monster or anyone know of a new dash with tacho included ?

stef
26-07-2006, 09:09 PM
i am in the process of making my own. 30 leds..
a doodle if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Zimbo
26-07-2006, 09:46 PM
You could have a look at these perhaps, I reckon they should work a treat and not too expensive either!

http://www.banditmania.co.uk/digital_clocks.htm

MIKE SANDERSON
26-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi Stef & Zimbo thanks for your reply - like to know how you get on with your led's and I got a new solder iron for xmas ! I've check'ed out the Zimbo link and looks tempting mmmmm

Tigerlily
27-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Hiya Mike, welcome to the club :mand:

Monsters are a bit lumpy, like the others have said you just need to change how you ride a little bit - leave it a bit longer until you change gear.

My 600 doesn't have a tacho either so I know what it's like when you're "guessing" when to change. It's not too difficult to fit a tacho unit (just a bit expensive).

Another option is to change the front sprocket for a 14 tooth one. Quite a few people have done that and it makes it much smoother :mand:

ps.... Hope you don't mind about the threads being merged :)