PDA

View Full Version : CALippo or caLIppo???

SazzaG
24-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Right, let's get this settled once and for all. I fear that I started this debate, following an innocent comment to Julie at the BMF show about buying an ice cream.

So, let the public decide. Is it CALippo or caLIppo?

Saz

Nonnie
24-07-2006, 10:49 AM
hehe

You know Julie and I are right Sazza.

SazzaG
24-07-2006, 10:50 AM
We'll see about that, Nonnie!

Let the ice cream wars begin...

Nonnie
24-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Aye. It'll be like Gladiator with lolly sticks. Could get messy.

Julie
24-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh how wrong you are saz!

SazzaG
24-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Aha, 2 all! Someone else is on my side.

Danny
24-07-2006, 11:04 AM
yeah but i think i pressed the wrong one.....

Pedro
24-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Have you nothing better to do?

squiffything
24-07-2006, 12:37 PM
you know i'm with the clippo crew

claicerrig
24-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Have i got a knack for evening up these polls 8 - 8 lol

JMo
24-07-2006, 05:50 PM
It is of course cal - ippo (as in brake caliper) rather than calee - po...

xxx

Gilps
24-07-2006, 06:41 PM
If the name is supposed to sound Italian-ish then it would be Calippo with the stress on Cal. If it is supposed to conjure up images of Carribean dance then it would have the stress on the lip as in Calypso. Hope this helps. Oh, I voted CALippo.
I've never tried one. What are they like? I like strawberry Mivvys best.

gary tompkins
24-07-2006, 07:54 PM
I thought a Calippo was a kind of fag lighter?

Oh... hang on that's a zippo .... or maybe that's a very fast hippo :confused:

Arse! I'll have to fish out my Ladybird book of usless facts now :grump:

Darry
24-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Doesn't help answer the question but?

http://www.calippo.com/calippo.php

Darry
24-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Have you nothing better to do?

Ped, someone actually agrees with you!!! The editor of Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_(ice_cream)

For those that don't know CALIPPO used to be called Calypso

Nonnie
24-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Oh I like that game. Tres cute.

It's the CalLIpo monster.

Darry
24-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Figured this was like asking directions... so I acted like a woman and asked someone! :look:

"Hello, could you please answer the following: How is the Wall's Ice Calippo pronounced, CALippo or caLIppo? that is with the stress on CAL or LI? or perhaps neither. Thank you, Darren."

This was sent to Unilever, the owner of Wall's. and cAlIpPo?

Darry.

SazzaG
25-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks Darry. You obviously have even less to do than me!

I await their response with anticipation.

Gilps
25-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Doesn't help answer the question but?

http://www.calippo.com/calippo.php
Now, that's a Spanish site, so would be pronounced with the stress on the penultimate sylable, so caLIPpo.

ricky
25-07-2006, 10:05 AM
oh my god people!! a whole thread debate about the name of an ice lolly!!:confused: last week it was a video of some of you in leathers shakin your butt to a some R'n'B :eek: i should be surprised but to be honest i think your all mad already!! :mand: and why is it when there's madness there's nonnie and julie in the middle of it?? and now for some reason im thinkin bout them play fighting with oversize lollipop sticks in a pool of ice cream??:eek: Very strange!!:mand:

SazzaG
25-07-2006, 10:18 AM
No ricky, this is a very serious debate.

And I'm winning!!!!

ricky
25-07-2006, 10:30 AM
No ricky, this is a very serious debate.

thats what worries me!!! :freak:

MotoNik
25-07-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm with Gilps on this one - if it's an Italian word then it would be CALippo. Sounds right to me, anyway!

Personally, I prefer the Nutella gelato I had in Urbino the other day! Mind you, the double caramel Magnums are pretty good too. It was hot weather over there, what can I say?! :-D

cheers,

Nik

Darry
26-07-2006, 05:48 PM
CALippo...
Looks like 16 people need to eat some humble pie... How about they buy the 14 CALippos a CALippo? I'll have the extras :biggrin:

Dear Mr Hewett

Thank you for your recent email.

We have had a discussion in the centre and we have come to the conclusion that we pronounce it CALippo. However it is completely optional how you decide to pronounce it.

Please contact us again if we can be further assistance.

Kind regards

Edith Samuriwo
Unilever Ice Cream & Frozen Foods Advisor

Nonnie
26-07-2006, 05:50 PM
CALippo SCHMALippo.

I opt to pronounce it how I like. So, I win.

So nurr.

gary tompkins
26-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Bugger - 50/50 chance and I still guessed wrong.

Now I know why I gave up doing the lottery :dunce:

Darry
26-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Bugger - 50/50 chance and I still guessed wrong.

Now I know why I gave up doing the lottery :dunce:

Gary, maybe you're just one of the unlucky ones; I remember hearing this management tip... " when looking through job applications, save time by cutting the application pile in half and put the top half in the bin; okay its not nice, but these people are just plain unlucky and who'd want to employ an unlucky person?" :biggrin: (think it was Jack D).

SazzaG
26-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Yeeehaaa!

Hahahahahaha, Julie Horne! Never laugh at me again when I order a tasty iced snack from Walls!

Darry, you're a star. Let me buy you a CALippo next time I see you.

Smug Saz

Darry
26-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Yeeehaaa!

Hahahahahaha, Julie Horne! Never laugh at me again when I order a tasty iced snack from Walls!

Smug Saz

Thanks Saz, but can you get me one from Wall's and not Walls. Concrete on a stick is not very tasty. :mand:

Darry
26-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey the CALippo vote has gone upto 15! Who's voting after the answer has been revealed... dispicable... bet it's Gary T pretending to be lucky! :rolleyes:

JMo
26-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Ha Ha!

I think we should remember this thread for the Forum awards at the weekender next year - I think Saz deserves a prize... and Darry can share it!

Top work fellas!

xxx

Julie
27-07-2006, 05:33 AM
Yeeehaaa!

Smug Saz

I like laughing at you saz!

Oh no - Jen's coming over this weekend and i fear alot of 'i'm right - you're wrong' heading my way.......Then it will be - get a tail chop julie you're wrong about that as well.....

gary tompkins
27-07-2006, 04:35 PM
I like laughing at you saz!

Oh no - Jen's coming over this weekend and i fear alot of 'i'm right - you're wrong' heading my way.......Then it will be - get a tail chop julie you're wrong about that as well.....

You know it makes sense - that chop poll was rigged :chuckle:

Gilps
04-08-2006, 08:55 PM
I happened to find myself up north this week and pulled into the services on the A1 somewhere near Durham. Whilst queueing to pay for my fuel the Wall's rep who was checking stock in the freezers shouted out to the manager "You're getting low on Clippos". I managed to avoid getting into a lengthy debate with her but I was sorely tempted.

Darry
04-08-2006, 10:12 PM
I happened to find myself up north this week and pulled into the services on the A1 somewhere near Durham. Whilst queueing to pay for my fuel the Wall's rep who was checking stock in the freezers shouted out to the manager "You're getting low on Clippos". I managed to avoid getting into a lengthy debate with her but I was sorely tempted.

'She' you say? Well there you go then... When did you start trusting women? :biggrin:

MrsJel
06-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Have just got back from Ibiza and there was an ad on the lovely espagnol satellite TV for CALippo.

Gilps
06-08-2006, 07:59 PM
In Spanish for that to be CALippo it would need an accent over the A. You are only allowed one stressed sylable in Spanish and when the word ends in a vowel or S or N then the penultimate syllable is stressed.