PDA

View Full Version : Thicko of the day award goes to

MrsJel
23-07-2006, 08:12 PM
me.

Have just learned that the S2R has got a plastic tank!

Found out how? when I got to oulton park today, i went to lift off the tank bag, but the magnets hadn't stuck. Assumed that the mags had lost their magnetism (stooopid? - i'm sure someone on here can tell me if that is possible) and was going to get in touch with oxford when i got home. My son was the sensible one - he tapped the tank and decided it didn't sound very metallic.

Oh well, maybe next time i'll read the info about the bike instead of just ordering one.

carole

Will
23-07-2006, 08:57 PM
me.

Have just learned that the S2R has got a plastic tank!

Found out how? when I got to oulton park today, i went to lift off the tank bag, but the magnets hadn't stuck. Assumed that the mags had lost their magnetism (stooopid? - i'm sure someone on here can tell me if that is possible) and was going to get in touch with oxford when i got home. My son was the sensible one - he tapped the tank and decided it didn't sound very metallic.

Oh well, maybe next time i'll read the info about the bike instead of just ordering one.

carole

Magnets can loose their magnetism - normally done by heating them to a temperature above the Curie point for the magnetic material in question - have to be much hotter than you could handle though! :D

Chappers
23-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Take it you didn't read the for sale thread Fatbloke created selling his tank bag?

I was gonna buy it to put on my tank, then someone pointed out my bike has a plastic tank which I knew coz I read up on the bike after putting a deposit down on it ;)

But my plan was to strap it to the tank as he was selling it so cheap anyway but then I was told the bag didn't come with any straps - hence I didn't buy it.

kaysee
24-07-2006, 07:54 AM
So you did not notice it not sticking to the tank when you fitted it. or while you rode to Oulton Park:confused: :confused: :confused:

Gilps
24-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Magnets can loose their magnetism - normally done by heating them to a temperature above the Curie point for the magnetic material in question - have to be much hotter than you could handle though! :D
Or by hitting them repeatedly. A magnet works by having all the molecules (or is it atoms, or electrons or ions, I can't remember) lining up the same way. To create a magnet from a non-magnetised piece of iron, you drag the magnet along the iron in the same direction many times. This lines up all the molecules. If you drop the magnet or hit it the molecules go out of line and it loses its magneticity (new word, sounds better than ..ism). Its been along time since I did this at school and due to the advancement of science and technology things may have changed, so it may not work like this any longer.

MrsJel
24-07-2006, 05:23 PM
So you did not notice it not sticking to the tank when you fitted it. or while you rode to Oulton Park:confused: :confused: :confused:
errrm no. I'd got one of those oxford monster chains in the bag & a disk lock and its a cosy fit between my arms and so I didn't notice it moving.

Only noticed when it was so easy to lift off!

Carole

Will
24-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Or by hitting them repeatedly. A magnet works by having all the molecules (or is it atoms, or electrons or ions, I can't remember) lining up the same way. To create a magnet from a non-magnetised piece of iron, you drag the magnet along the iron in the same direction many times. This lines up all the molecules. If you drop the magnet or hit it the molecules go out of line and it loses its magneticity (new word, sounds better than ..ism). Its been along time since I did this at school and due to the advancement of science and technology things may have changed, so it may not work like this any longer.

It's the aligment of the magnetic domains wot matter - the hitting thing worked with magnets in the old days - but I don't think that modern high power ceramic based magnets suffer from this, and these are the type used in tank bags - bit rusty on this so will have to check my text books to be sure though.