PDA

View Full Version : New bike, clutch bite seems high

sarah
23-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi, everybody. I am the very proud owner (haven't stopped grinning yet!) of a 620ie... rode it 3 hours back from Merseyside yesterday... fantastic.. however, the clutch bites with the lever a long way out.. is this a sign that the clutch is on it's way out? ...Its got 10,000 miles on the clock.
Thanks. Sarah

Pugi
23-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Welcome to the club Sarah!
My 'experience' (*cough, cough*) tells me it's the opposite. If your clutch is worn it bites later. If you find it difficult to come to terms with, you can upgrade to adjustable levers.

Will
23-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi, everybody. I am the very proud owner (haven't stopped grinning yet!) of a 620ie... rode it 3 hours back from Merseyside yesterday... fantastic.. however, the clutch bites with the lever a long way out.. is this a sign that the clutch is on it's way out? ...Its got 10,000 miles on the clock.
Thanks. Sarah

This is normal - my 2002 620i.e clutch didn't bite until the level was almost fully released - I assume that you have a pre-slipper clutch model.

Zimbo
23-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Shouldn't worry about it. the clutch is operated hydraulically, so the biting point is as much a reflection of the hydraulic control as of the clutch itself. As long as it's not slipping I'd leave it well alone!

slob
23-07-2006, 09:49 PM
What year is the bike? I believe the biting point varies on the newer 'slipper' type clutches.

sarah
26-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Its an '03. I wondered about reducing the lever gap as I have small hands and its almost out of my span before it's biting... reluctant to fiddle too much though... perhaps I'll ride a bit more before I decide!!! Thanks for all the advice!!

slob
27-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Trick clutches didn't come in 'til '05. So yours should always have the same biting point, wherever it is. Adjustable span levers are readily available.
http://www.ducati.com/shop/product.jsp?_DARGS=/shop/details/ddd_boxproduct.jsp.1_A&_DAV=/shop/category.jsp%3Fcatsearch%3Dcatimp00151&prodid=prodimp968275AA&catsearch=catimp00151
sorry, link doesn't work properly, search accessories with keyword adjustable

emily's driver
27-07-2006, 10:21 AM
You might find, as the general concensus here seems to be, if you were to fit adjustable span levers, that might suit you that much better. They do make a marginal difference and are cheap enough to source on the net.