PDA

View Full Version : Oil Light Question

Mand
19-07-2006, 07:43 AM
My oil light came on about 100 yards from my workplace. Now I do have plenty of oil in the bike but would there be any other reason for that to happen?

I think what I am saying, will it be safe for me to ride my bike home?

Rockhopper
19-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Faulty pressure switch perhaps? Not sure on the 620 but most bikes oil lights respond to low pressure rather than low level. You could have tons of oil in there but a knackered pump giving you no pressure which will wreck the engine double quick!
Best play on the safe side and not ride it till you find out one way or the other in my opinion.

Mand
19-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Could the low pressure be due to the awful journey I had to work, I was lucky if I got out of second gear, very stop and start.

Drucilla
19-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Mand I had this problem once and it was just a dodgy connection on the oil thingy at the side (I have technical head on today), after some wiggling it was ok. Is the light on all the time or is it intermittant?

Mand
19-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Mand I had this problem once and it was just a dodgy connection on the oil thingy at the side (I have technical head on today), after some wiggling it was ok. Is the light on all the time or is it intermittant?

Admittedly my clocks are a bit dodgy and my speedo doesn't work, I was just surprised really because the bike is running like a dream at the moment. (Apart from the clocks!)

I have just been down and started her up again and rode around the car park and it seems okay again now.

Like you say Nat, possibly a dodgy connection?

Thanks for your help folks!

Pedro
19-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Might be over warm due to weather/sh*t traffic making the oil a bit thin. Worth giving it a change if you'r between services.

Ped

gary tompkins
19-07-2006, 04:54 PM
My pressure light was flicking on intermittantly at tickover on the trike, then a few weeks later sprang a leak making a mess of the engine. It could be the switch - not expensive to replace but make sure you get the right one as they do vary depending on model and cc.

tamtbam@hotmail
20-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Might be over warm due to weather/sh*t traffic making the oil a bit thin. Worth giving it a change if you'r between services.

Ped

I ran my 620ie In Kuwait for 2yrs in tempretures of 100 deg plus and with an engine temp of 200 deg on occasions and she never missed a beat.
Won't be over warm oil.:thumbsdown:

tamtbam@hotmail
20-07-2006, 06:10 AM
Could the low pressure be due to the awful journey I had to work, I was lucky if I got out of second gear, very stop and start.

Can't see it bein that either Mand. Did the Glasgow Egg Run this year and you never get oot of 2nd during it. Your crawling at 7mph most of the time and all she did was get hot.
If your clocks are dodgy i'll have a pair for sale soon as just got a brand new pair off e-bay for 85 quid:thumbsup: Feckin bargin as there 320 new.

Mand
20-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Can't see it bein that either Mand. Did the Glasgow Egg Run this year and you never get oot of 2nd during it. Your crawling at 7mph most of the time and all she did was get hot.
If your clocks are dodgy i'll have a pair for sale soon as just got a brand new pair off e-bay for 85 quid:thumbsup: Feckin bargin as there 320 new.

Well the mystery is solved, it is the thingy whatis next to the oil cap, spoke to Neil at Cornerspeed today and he is going to fit another one on Saturday morning for me.

Tam - are the clocks from a 620ie?

bod
20-07-2006, 09:38 PM
That will be the oil pressure switch then(just next to the thing thats leaking oil on mine) The filler cap,would worrry about leaking oil onto my tyre but it's not attatched to the bike at the mo(after a little problem)

Mand
21-07-2006, 06:00 AM
That will be the oil pressure switch then(just next to the thing thats leaking oil on mine) The filler cap,would worrry about leaking oil onto my tyre but it's not attatched to the bike at the mo(after a little problem)

Yes Neil knew straight the way what the problem was when I described what was happening to the bike. It is leaking oil, yes. I am slightly special needs when to comes to remembering what parts on my bike are called. :chuckle:

PS Say Hello to your good lady Bod from me.....

bod
21-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Just remember which bits are the brakes for stopping with, the rest you can manage without:mand:

PS. Suzanne says hi back

tamtbam@hotmail
21-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Well the mystery is solved, it is the thingy whatis next to the oil cap, spoke to Neil at Cornerspeed today and he is going to fit another one on Saturday morning for me.

Tam - are the clocks from a 620ie?

They most certainly are. There off the bike in the pic. Fitted brand new when i brought the babe back from Kuwait in Jan. There on the bike now while it's gettin it's 2yr service done at Duc Glasgow. Charlie said the digital displays were a bit dim after i came off 6 weeks ago but there sweeping and reading fine. I'll test them out and if there ok you can have the new ones for what i bought them for or the old ones for a bit less. I'll PM you when the bikes back if your interested.

gary tompkins
21-07-2006, 08:17 PM
They most certainly are. There off the bike in the pic. Fitted brand new when i brought the babe back from Kuwait in Jan. There on the bike now while it's gettin it's 2yr service done at Duc Glasgow. Charlie said the digital displays were a bit dim after i came off 6 weeks ago but there sweeping and reading fine. I'll test them out and if there ok you can have the new ones for what i bought them for or the old ones for a bit less. I'll PM you when the bikes back if your interested.

Bear in mind that if either bikes have factory fit immobiliser then the clocks might not work when swapped, and bike may not start either. The clocks on later 'ie' bikes form part of the immobiliser circuit (easy to spot as if they have flashing LED built in) and are coded/matched to the ECU when fitted at the factory.

Mand
21-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Bear in mind that if either bikes have factory fit immobiliser then the clocks might not work when swapped, and bike may not start either. The clocks on later 'ie' bikes form part of the immobiliser circuit (easy to spot as if they have flashing LED built in) and are coded/matched to the ECU when fitted at the factory.

Yes I have been thinking about that and Ped pointed it out to me too. I think I will stop with my clocks as is. I appreciate the offer though Tam. :)

tamtbam@hotmail
21-07-2006, 10:12 PM

That's why your given a red code key and a code card when you buy the bike. You can fit new clocks or old clocks from another bike and reset the code of the immobiliser it states it in the manual.
How else could Charlie fit a new set of clocks to mine.;)

tamtbam@hotmail
22-07-2006, 06:24 PM
That's why your given a red code key and a code card when you buy the bike. You can fit new clocks or old clocks from another bike and reset the code of the immobiliser it states it in the manual.
How else could Charlie fit a new set of clocks to mine.;)

Must refrain from openin ma gob.
Phoned Duc Glesga this morn and my old clocks will be coded to my bike so no joy there.
Only thing i can suggest Mand is the new clocks if mine are still ok to ride with but won't know till i see it.
:twak: